Author Topic: Night of the digital long knives  (Read 4528 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Night of the digital long knives
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 08:00:48 PM »
Timcast said his Facebook page was restricted. 

I deactivated my account today even though I rarely use it.  I guess I need to go in and completely delete it.

I heard him say that as well.  I deleted my Twitter account since I rarely ever use it.  I can't really delete my FB account since I am the backup admin for my company's FB page.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
More Musk

Help! Help! I’m being REPRESSED! Elon Musk shares the PERFECT Monty Python clip for what’s happening in our country right NOW
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/01/15/help-help-im-being-repressed-elon-musk-shares-the-perfect-monty-python-clip-for-whats-happening-in-our-country-right-now/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
Facebook Has Deleted TTAG’s Page, Here’s What You Can Do
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-has-deleted-ttags-page-heres-what-you-can-do/

More

A spokesperson for Facebook on Friday confirmed that The Truth Against Guns’ Facebook page had indeed been taken down, “as part of our ongoing work to remove coordinated inauthentic behavior.”

Facebook: TTAG Was Guilty of ‘Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior’
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-ttag-was-guilty-of-coordinated-inauthentic-behavior/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 05:40:37 PM »
And not just digital

Hundreds in the ‘literary community’ urge publishers to reject book deals with anyone in the Trump administration
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/16/hundreds-in-the-literary-community-urge-publishers-to-reject-book-deals-with-anyone-in-the-trump-administration/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
And not just digital

Hundreds in the ‘literary community’ urge publishers to reject book deals with anyone in the Trump administration
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/16/hundreds-in-the-literary-community-urge-publishers-to-reject-book-deals-with-anyone-in-the-trump-administration/

Related note, I saw some bookstores either outright refusing to carry books, or else not displaying them and only ordering them at specific customer request.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »
Consequently, we believe: No participant in an administration that caged children, performed involuntary surgeries on captive women, and scoffed at science as millions were infected with a deadly virus should be enriched by the almost rote largesse of a big book deal. And no one who incited, suborned, instigated, or otherwise supported the January 6, 2021 coup attempt should have their philosophies remunerated and disseminated through our beloved publishing houses.

“Son of Sam” laws exist to prevent criminals from benefiting financially from writing about their crimes. In that spirit, those who enabled, promulgated, and covered up crimes against the American people should not be enriched through the coffers of publishing.

"performed involuntary surgeries on captive women"
I've seen this before, what made up or twisted story are they referring to?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 06:10:14 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 06:40:19 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/dating-apps-are-using-capitol-seige-images-to-ban-rioters-accounts/

After storming the Capitol, you just want to be loved. But wait.....

Unpersoning before you've even been murdered in a windowless room with a drain and hose.  How rude.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2021, 08:19:44 PM »
More

Facebook: TTAG Was Guilty of ‘Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior’
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-ttag-was-guilty-of-coordinated-inauthentic-behavior/

So "keepin' it real" laws were broken?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:27 AM »
Now they're turning on FB and twitter

‘You have destroyed this country!’ Increasingly unhinged Mika Brzezinski shrieks that Facebook ‘[needs] to be shut down’ over Capitol riots [video]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/01/18/you-have-destroyed-this-country-increasingly-unhinged-mika-brzezinski-shrieks-that-facebook-needs-to-be-shut-down-over-capitol-riots-video/

Replying to @tomselliott and @JoeNBC
.@morningmika screams at Mark Zuckerberg, @sherylsandberg: “You are pathetic!”

"You need to be shutdown. Nobody needs what you have to offer. You have destroyed this country!”

[popcorn]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
Now they're turning on FB and twitter

‘You have destroyed this country!’ Increasingly unhinged Mika Brzezinski shrieks that Facebook ‘[needs] to be shut down’ over Capitol riots [video]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/01/18/you-have-destroyed-this-country-increasingly-unhinged-mika-brzezinski-shrieks-that-facebook-needs-to-be-shut-down-over-capitol-riots-video/

[popcorn]

Eating their own works for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 11:50:26 AM »

Hopefully they will avoid the rest of us.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 01:09:18 PM »

But what they crap out afterwards is still a toxic mess though.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
It looks like AR15.com is moving from GoDaddy to Epik.com as their Registrar.

I've still got some GoDaddy registered domains and I'm going to get them moved.  I'm contacting Epik to see what their policies are.

I wanted to thank you for your contact, and let you know we appreciate your questions regarding where our line on freedom is.

This is an unusual time for most service providers, hosting companies, and now even domain registrars. From my own perception, it looks like activists and organized groups are picking targets to apply pressure for maximum disruption. They may mask their efforts as being an attempt to be more civilized, or to promote greater equality, or even to encourage less tolerance for hate. These are all noble goals, and reflect basic principles that we all should be able to positively contribute to. But in our experience, in many cases the abuse reports appear also to be targeting organizations that tend to expose political corruption and malfeasance at the highest of levels. Many politicians and business leaders over this last year have even went on record, openly stating they were prepared to win elections at any cost. The impact of that philosophy has been heavily felt by our nation.

While the phenomenon of actively targeting registrars as a point for service termination is fairly new, I believe Epik has clearly established where their position is on the debate of what constitutes responsible free speech. I can reiterate though that we have no tolerance for any content that intentionally incites violence, or that actively encourages groups or individuals to stimulate hardships for others based on skin color, ethnicity, language, origin, or belief system. The world is too small and life too short to align ourselves with organizations that go out of their way to actively reduce the opportunities for others. If you have missed any of our past references related to our work against racism, please feel free to see examples samples here:

www.epik.com/blog/fightinghate

You may also be aware of the positions highlighted recently related to the deplatforming of Parler, and our objection to the repeated abuses we witness routinely by Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, PayPal, and GoDaddy. Both statements have now been referenced and viewed hundreds of millions of times, but our positions may best express where we are in terms of fighting for what is right. If we will go to efforts to protect those who we do not even host or formally support, you can imagine how important we treat our direct responsibilities.

Original Parler Statement:            www.epik.com/official/parlerstatement
Official Parler Update:                   www.epik.com/official/parlerupdate

In terms of active debate participation regarding the importance of encouraging our industry to hold fast, here is a sample of coverage pieces just from this past week:

https://uncoverdc.com/2021/01/14/exclusive-epiks-advice-to-parler/
https://www.theepochtimes.com/parlers-website-back-online-with-a-message-from-its-ceo_3660235.html
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/parler-social-media-amazon-conservative/2021/01/14/id/1005609/
http://www.christianitydaily.com/articles/10526/20210114/great-news-free-speech-network-parler-finds-new-host-after-amazon-takedown.htm
https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/14/epik-domain-parler-registers-domain-policy-guidance-standard-free-speech/
https://www.theepochtimes.com/web-hosting-service-epik-parler-hasnt-contacted-us_3653132.html

For whatever decisions you may make regarding where you place your business, and the objectives you may hold for the future, know that hatred tends to attract hate, but love unequivocally conquers all. I know from experience that our best clients tend to be the ones that recognize what is at stake. They manage their platforms and publishing ventures accordingly, to ensure the good works they commit to are not compromised by threats of violence or calls for marginalization. They become good stewards of their communities and their content, recognizing the incredible privilege it is to lift up everyone they can reach along the path with positive encouragement and inspiring words to help formulate a better tomorrow. Our world is largely what we make it, and we would encourage you to approach it in a manner that has supernatural expectations for more unity and healing through respect of our mutual rights and freedoms.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me so that we may address them. We appreciate whatever opportunities the future may provide, and if you require any technical assistance or guidance related to your migration intentions please let me know.
I had mixed feelings about it.  My perspective was that they are happy to cancel their customers for legal content, just a subset of the content that might inspire a cancellation from one of the bigger companies.  It particularly rubbed me the wrong way that when they were onboarding Parler, Epik counseled Parler on improving its moderation ... what business is it of the registrar how they moderate, so long as they are not violating US law?  I replied expressing that I was torn between commending them for being willing to host politically unpopular sites and not being comfortable with the extent to which they are willing to censor legal content where it is sufficiently distasteful.  I said: "The response I had hoped for was a clear, unambiguous refusal to take any form of editorial stance in your clients' content except where it violates US law." 

He didn't like that very much.
With all due respect, that is the difference between the mob and those who are actually on the front line defending rights where it counts.

This entitlement concept is the same, whether it demands content be ripped down for political reasons, or bashes its proven warriors with assumptions and privilege with the minute by minute call to reaffirm principals never lost.

We don’t owe any explanation or daily/hourly revisit on demand to profess where our belief systems are. Those who with the eyes to see can measure them by our actions, deeds, courage, and reputation. While you are asking for detail clarification, we are pushing back with millions of users and allies trying to ensure more rights are not extinguished through hidden legislative movements.

If you find that lacking, participate with your dollars. This is an absurd conflation with AWS, GoDaddy, and others below, given the price we are paying while others soundly sleep.

www.epik.com/paypal
www.epik.com/splc
www.epik.com/fakenews
www.epik.com/afternic

I appreciate your input, and thankful for the morning encouragements.
Epik would probably be a pretty good registrar to choose, but I'm going to look around a bit more before I settle.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
Parler is back with a placeholder

Now seems like the right time to remind you all — both lovers and haters — why we started this platform. We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media. Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both.

We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
                         - Barack Obama

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
Cordex, depending on your needs you might look at Troglodite. It is pro 2A.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »
The new majority wants to investigate Parler and it's ties to Russia, which I guess led to "the attempted coup" of our government.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/21/house-dems-call-for-an-fbi-investigation-of-parler-over-the-january-6-riot-and-possible-ties-to-russia/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
The new majority wants to investigate Parler and it's ties to Russia, which I guess led to "the attempted coup" of our government.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/21/house-dems-call-for-an-fbi-investigation-of-parler-over-the-january-6-riot-and-possible-ties-to-russia/

Put Schiff on it, he's good at sniffing out BS
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:04 PM »
Put Schiff on it, he's good at sniffing out BS

What's funny of course, is that Parler's "Russian dealings" didn't start till after the DC riot, when the dem's strongmen, big tech, kelled Parler's connections on US soil, so that they had no other choice but to look to foreign servers. Sad state of affairs when Russia backs up a US citizen's free speech because the US is censoring them.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
I think the choice of Russia is strange.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »
I think the choice of Russia is strange.

I don't.

I've been considering starting a web site. Looking for low-budget hosting (since this will be a fledgling site for a business that may never generate income), and it seems if you dig deep enough just about all the budget hosting services are actually based in Russia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2021, 09:13:08 PM »
Now Michelle Malkin and Gateway Pundit feel Twitter's wrath:

https://www.oann.com/twitter-suspends-michelle-malkin-gateway-pundit-right-side-broadcasting-network-accounts/

On Tuesday, conservative activist Michelle Malkin took to Telegram to announce Twitter had locked her account without following typical protocol, which would require an explanation of the suspension and opportunity to delete posts violating Twitter policy.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Twitter confirmed Malkin’s 24-hour suspension on Tuesday in addition to that of accounts belonging to conservative media outlets Right Side Broadcasting Network and the Gateway Pundit. While the official cited violation of a civic integrity policy as the reason for the three suspensions, they did not specify which tweets defied the so-called guidelines.

- Barack Obama