Author Topic: Rocksett Thread Locker Alternative?  (Read 1796 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rocksett Thread Locker Alternative?
« on: January 13, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »
The Cherry Bomb Muzzle Brake I just got for my M1A says to use Rocksett thread locker. I can't find any close to home. Is there an acceptable high temp alternative that places like Home Despot might sell?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Rocksett Thread Locker Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
Rocksett goes to 2000 degrees.  I would imagine any comparable thread locker would probably do well.
Vibra-Tite 199 Hot-Lock is one I found with a search.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »
Loctite Black.  (It's permanent.)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »
Not sure it has the temperature range.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 06:57:37 PM »
I'm seeing both the Rocksett and Vibra-Tite on Amazon. Looks like it's $16 whichever way I cut it for something that will expire before I have a second use for it.  :laugh:

I can get Locktite 272 locally, but it only goes to 400 deg.

Apparently you have to stick both the Rocksett and the Vibra-Tite in the oven at 250deg for 10 minutes to activate them. I've never baked a gun before.

Or maybe I'll just save installing this until the can comes in, then have the LGS gunsmith do it, since he wants to align the can with my barrel, which he modified. He'll probably throw in a few dabs of the Rocksett for free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:05 PM »
Loctite Black.  (It's permanent.)

What's Loctite Black, and why hasn't anyone told Loctite about it?

http://wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf

There's no Black listed in their product guide. And Red only goes up to 450 degrees.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »
I've never baked a gun before.

Great for getting cosmoline off old guns. Just be sure to use a drip pan and/or maybe an oven  you don't care about.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:34:22 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
What's Loctite Black, and why hasn't anyone told Loctite about it?

http://wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf

There's no Black listed in their product guide. And Red only goes up to 450 degrees.

Maybe because it isn't a thread locker. Looks like rubberized super glue, whatever it is it won't work on a muzzle brake I think.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/instant-adhesives/loctite_380.html#:~:text=LOCTITE%C2%AE%20380%20is%20a,peel%2C%20impact%20and%20sheer%20strength

bob

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 12:58:59 AM »
Maybe because it isn't a thread locker. Looks like rubberized super glue, whatever it is it won't work on a muzzle brake I think.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/instant-adhesives/loctite_380.html#:~:text=LOCTITE%C2%AE%20380%20is%20a,peel%2C%20impact%20and%20sheer%20strength

bob

Hmm.  Maybe they discontinued it?  Last I saw it used was 2012 to secure a nagant barrel to the frame.  It was supposed to be permanent, unlike red which can be torched to loosen.  Sorry about that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »
I've only used high temp anti-sieze (automotive, copper exhaust manifold stuff) on muzzle breaks, never had on loosen up and I can remove it later if I want.

I think waiting for the smith to align your can would be the simplest thing to do.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
I've only used high temp anti-sieze (automotive, copper exhaust manifold stuff) on muzzle breaks, never had on loosen up and I can remove it later if I want.

I think waiting for the smith to align your can would be the simplest thing to do.

I'm leaning that way since I don't like the noise of a muzzle brake anyway. I'll need to run back to the LGS to get a thread cap for the barrel though. The smith forgot to give me one and I don't want to accidentally chingasa up the threads.

An inventory told me that I have 17 South African and Portuguese battle packs for the thing, so while 5.56 remains rare and expensive, I might as well shoot off a few 7.62 battle packs. :)

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:50 AM »
I have a smith ent muzzle brake on an M1a (bush rifle)
It is amazingly loud and I’m not exaggerating.
I haven’t shot it in a couple years. This gets me to thinking I need to get it out again. No ammo shortage here either...
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
I haven’t shot it in a couple years. This gets me to thinking I need to get it out again. No ammo shortage here either...

Yeah, mine is a California M1A with the original muzzle brake either pinned or soldered in. Incredibly loud. Seemed to irritate people even at outdoor ranges. I think I'm going to enjoy shooting it a lot more with a can on the end.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »

Put a $30 muzzle brake on an RFB once just to see. Had a sinus headache for a few days after a range trip. I'm sure the cheapness of the brake was a factor. Needless to say it came right off.
You can see how close the brake would be to you face. https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/rfb/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
Yeah, mine is a California M1A with the original muzzle brake either pinned or soldered in. Incredibly loud. Seemed to irritate people even at outdoor ranges. I think I'm going to enjoy shooting it a lot more with a can on the end.
IIRC the ones I saw were drilled and pinned. They can be unpinned but not without wrecking the flash hider.
You will be more happy with your gun muffler.
I went to help a friend with a beaver problem at his pond. We sat at a picnic table and waited until about dark when a beaver swam out. He had a 12g I had my M1a, he got all excited and said shoot shoot shoot! I said cover your ears, he said I’m good just shoot!
I shot. He was hopping around cussing and holding his head. I got the hit on the beaver too.
What we have here is failure to communicate.