Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 2442 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
I really enjoy my GPR flintlock. Hopefully my shoulder will someday let me shoot it again.
You really need to get some real blackpowder though.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
My cva did the best groups with 80 grains with the round ball. I tried several conicals with different amounts but could never match tha accuracy.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 08:17:45 PM »
I can't describe how much I enjoyed shooting that thing.  I could sit outside all day and have an AMAZING time, and shoot maybe 50 rounds.

Though I haven't shot it in a while, I really like shooting my GPR as well, and yeah, it's amazing how much fun you can have shooting the low number of rounds you end up shooting with BP. I'm unhappy shooting less than a couple of hundred rounds at the range through my semi-autos, and am done with that in under an hour. Several hours and only 50 rounds through the BP is a lot of fun in a different way.

Glad you're enjoying your GPR!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 11:16:27 PM »
I think you're going to enjoy the hell out of it. Late season muzzle loading is my favorite deer season in Iowa. I think when you finally find a load you like with that rifle, you'll have no problem shooting deer/elk out to 200 yards.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 01:44:58 AM »
My cva did the best groups with 80 grains with the round ball. I tried several conicals with different amounts but could never match tha accuracy.

Don't the conical bullets need a faster twist?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 08:06:03 AM »
I really enjoy my GPR flintlock. Hopefully my shoulder will someday let me shoot it again.
You really need to get some real blackpowder though.
 =D

It's a difficult market to find much of anything right now.  I've been trying to find some 2F Triple Seven to replace my rapidly diminishing supply of the one bottle I have right now.

Grafs appears to have Scheutzen 2F in stock, so I ordered 4 pounds from them this morning, along with another 200 balls and wads.  Didn't have priming caps though.

So in a week or so I should be able to compare Triple Seven to "real black" and see what the fuss is all about.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 09:16:44 AM »
Check Powder Valley.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams