Author Topic: McConnell supports impeached of Trump  (Read 2490 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: McConnell supports impeached of Trump
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
Where can I find a list of people who voted for it?

Not a full list, but here's the Rs who voted in favor:

Joining Cheney in support of impeachment were GOP Reps. Dan Newhouse of Washington, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, Fred Upton of Michigan, Jaime Herrera Beutler of Washington, John Katko of New York, Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio, Tom Rice of South Carolina, David Valadao of California and Peter Meijer of Michigan.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-impeaches-president-trump-second-time
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:26 AM »
The nice thing about all the unpleasantness is that the masks are coming off, the curtains are dropping and people are forcibly becoming aware... hopefully... of the reality they live under. And becoming aware is the first step!

I think they went full commie too fast, too soon. You never go full commie in 'Merica  :laugh:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:18 AM »

I think they went full commie too fast, too soon. You never go full commie in 'Merica  :laugh:

Normally I would agree with that, but I have been surprised by those on the right that are appeasing the angry mob. Even Crenshaw in Texas seems to be agreeing with them even though he himself didn't vote for impeachment.

I really seem to be seeing the temper tantrum children of antifa getting everything they want because their parents don't want to make a scene in the store aisle.

I just read they are now arresting capitol "rioters" even if they weren't rioters. People just standing there doing nothing have been arrested only, it seems, because their faces were caught in the background of a photo. Charged with violent entry and disorderly conduct and arrested by the FBI anti-terrorism task force*. Further, a teenage daughter just turned her parents in for being there.

*Where was this task force for all of 2020? Everyone in this incident is being arrested for serious felonies, even if they were simply there. Seems like 90% of the 1% or so of antifa that were arrested were charged with stuff like misdemeanor mischief if they were not outright released, for doing stuff like destroying buildings and sending people to the hospital.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
Anyone who did not publicly oppose and condemn the leftist political violence has absolutely no standing to be condemning the capitol riot, however it is entirely morally consistent for people like me to be opposed to the capitol riot.  And however I feel about the people who are currently hypocritically lecturing us on how unprecedented the riot was, I do ultimately agree with them that it was dumb, wrong, counterproductive, and I agree that the people who participated in violence and destruction of property should be prosecuted.

The Landry/Rokita/Knudsen letter providing counterpoint to the National Association of Attorneys General letter was a good take on this, but Rokita's and Landry's individual letters sent to the NAAG were even better.

Rokita letter:
Dear Fellow Attorneys General:

This week I was sworn in as Indiana's 44th Attorney General. I am proud to join your ranks and look forward to sharing our experiences and ideas for protecting and defending our states and thus our nation as a whole.

I appreciated being invited to sign the letter coordinated by the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) bearing many of your signatures. I certainly join you in the condemnation of the outrageous violence at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021. I lament the violation of personal safety and destruction of property. And most of all, I mourn with you the unnecessary loss of precious life the events of that day wrought.

Instead of signing your letter, though, I have chosen to communicate with each of you via this letter. That is because I cannot help but wonder where your level of outrage was, as a group, when cities across our country burned last summer. Indianapolis, my own state capital, suffered days of destruction as windows were shattered and businesses were shuttered, many of which will never open again. Cities such as Portland were 'occupied' by lawlessness and anarchy which eventually erupted into violence. Yet no NAAG-coordinated letter (sign-on letter) condemning the violence last summer appears to have ever been issued.

We must condemn violence in all forms with our loudest voices. It does not matter what political protest is at the root of the violence. As patriots, we must speak out against it. We can uphold the critical Constitutional right to freedom of speech as we oppose any attempt to highjack a protest to condemn violence.

I look forward to collaborating with you in the future in a bipartisan fashion to defend liberty, champion life, and support law enforcement.

Landry letter:
https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/cb/d7/0d7601514d918e75f1ecf6a37278/ag-jeff-landry-letter-on-us-capitol-protests.pdf

Landry/Rokita/Knudsen letter
Dear Acting Attorney General Rosen,

We write to echo and emphasize our colleagues’ condemnation of the violent breach of the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021. Such an abhorrent act is an affront to our nation, and we commend the United States Department of Justice for taking expedient steps toward prosecution. Attorneys General are called to lead by and to the rule of law in pursuit of justice and equality.

We should all – collectively – decry political violence in every instance. The culture war is no longer a cold one, and it’s heating rapidly. The last several years have seen an assassination attempt that left Representative Steve Scalise fighting for his life, bombs mailed to public figures and detonated in city centers, buildings or entire blocks taken or held by force, and mass demonstrations that led to destruction, injury, and death. Our people and police officers are targeted and killed, our courthouses and churches burned, and the seat of our nation’s government was breached by an angry mob.

Like all Americans, we seek clarity and direction toward a bright future. Like all of you, we believe the rule of law clearly leads to harmony. But until we Attorneys General stand together against all political violence, we amplify aimless partisan wandering instead of taking strides toward unity. When Antifa or like-minded rioters stoked violence on college campuses, we did not have the strength to unify. Now they stoke violence in our streets as we wonder where all this chaos started. And truly, regardless of where or when it started, it’s time for it to end.
Whether committed against person or property, every act of violence injures real people, including our neighbors, friends, and family. In all forms and in all instances, violent acts carried out in the name of political ideology have no place in any of our United States.

We thank you for leading the Department in this unprecedented time and for your work to bring justice against all of those who commit political violence. Every such act leaves a lasting, painful scar on our people. Together, we can lead to unity and peace.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
I'm now reading all kinds of weird *expletive deleted*it about how there were gunfights between LE and rioters, that tasers were deployed against gov employees, and that R reps are reporting they won't vote for impeachment because there are documented death threats against them and their children if they do.

It's getting to the point that if I'm not at a place and see something with my own eyes, I'm simply not going to believe it, whoever reports it.

E.A. Poe:   "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »
My problem with some of what I saw Republicans say is they seemed to go out of their way to condemn the mob going into the Capitol without pointing out that there were hundreds of thousands who were in town, but did not go inside.  I saw Steve Scalise' statement and he appeared to be condemning all Trump supporters if all you saw was the headline quote.  It wasn't that bad if you read more.  I just thought they could have chose their words better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
I saw Steve Scalise' statement and he appeared to be condemning all Trump supporters if all you saw was the headline quote.  It wasn't that bad if you read more.  I just thought they could have chose their words better. 
How much of that is due to the speaker and how much is due to the reporter?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »
Interesting question by Brian Mast:

The breach, which was criticized by Trump himself and other top White House officials, occurred during the Joint Session of Congress to count electoral votes.

“Has any one of those individuals who brought violence on this Capitol been brought here to answer whether they did that because of our president?” Mast asked.

About 30 seconds of silence followed as Mast stared ahead.

“It appears I will receive no answer,” said Mast, an Afghanistan War veteran who lost both his legs, after the period of awkward silence.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/rep-brian-masts-capitol-breach-question-stumps-house-during-trump-impeachment-vote_3658082.html?utm_source=share-btn-copylink&st=MjYnPs5mk6zdG9l1y6sOZ07UQHuIoQRg-x24m0oIOUmAsNh8M8Z6sgdb2hlwd4gIVyjJPAuqwdlB0bFDor_ROno2qzXlqPtKVPs