Author Topic: Twisting the intent of ERPO  (Read 742 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Twisting the intent of ERPO
« on: January 15, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/use-gun-laws-to-protect-our-communities-from-violence/

Washington state has had the Extreme Risk Protection Orders for a while now.  The intent is to temporarily remove firearms from someone who is mentally ill or expressing violent intention towards someone, as in a domestic violence situation or threatening a mass shooting.  See this editorial arguing that someone having expressing extreme political views is also grounds for seeking an ERPO.  So if Grandpa is planning to march on Washington, let's confiscate his guns.  Would this also apply to Korean store owners during riots in LA?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Twisting the intent of ERPO
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »
And now we see the danger in these red flag laws. The last couple of weeks should make it especially clear.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
If you guys think Trump was bad because *BUMP STOCKS*   you haven't seen a thing.  Wait until Biden is president ....

YOU WILL SEE A ..... "THING"   >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 02:15:38 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/use-gun-laws-to-protect-our-communities-from-violence/

Washington state has had the Extreme Risk Protection Orders for a while now.  The intent is to temporarily remove firearms from someone who is mentally ill or expressing violent intention towards someone, as in a domestic violence situation or threatening a mass shooting.  See this editorial arguing that someone having expressing extreme political views is also grounds for seeking an ERPO.  So if Grandpa is planning to march on Washington, let's confiscate his guns.  Would this also apply to Korean store owners during riots in LA?

I've seen lefties get pretty unhinged, breathing threats against DJT's assciates, relatives, minions and fans.  Can we ERPO them?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:32:12 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »
I don't think this is twisting the intent of the ERPO.  This is exactly what the proponents of "red flag laws" had in mind: stripping away the rights of anyone who opposes them.

(oops, now someone will file an ERPO against me ...)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
I don't think this is twisting the intent of the ERPO.  This is exactly what the proponents of "red flag laws" had in mind: stripping away the rights of anyone who opposes them.

I tend to agree with you. Libs don't do anything like this without a look into their crystal ball, in this case they were probably thinking "what could possibly happen that we could try to use this for? You do remember the Tea Party and Oath Keepers don't you?"

Once again the camel followed his nose into the tent.

bob