Author Topic: The role of the NRA going forward  (Read 1714 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The role of the NRA going forward
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »
Apparently there seems to be a seismic shift in our politics coming.

The NRA is going into these new days somewhat hobbled by internal strife.

The legal battles are probably going to ramp up and we need institutions with a lot of legal firepower on our side.

I think the Republicans are mostly toast as so many have outed themselves as Uniparty hacks.

Is the NRA in the same boat, discredited among the base or are they still the 800lb gorilla?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The role of the NRA going forward
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:10:18 PM »
Wayne (his lifestyle and actions) will be the death of the NRA before anyone tries to dismantle it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

Is the NRA in the same boat, discredited among the base or are they still the 800lb gorilla?

If they would toss Wayne and a few key senior execs out on their rears, yes. If not, they're going to rot from the inside out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »
The NRA will be declared a domestic terrorist group and leadership arrested, with full support of the big tech and media. Any voice in support of the NRA will be canceled.

Look what happened to Ron Paul a day ago.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Regarding Wayne, sadly, I think the coming fight will put his issues on the backburner and he will remain as is.

I don't think I'm going to donate any more money to NRA at this time, even with the coming fight. I'll be concentrating my donations with state level groups here in Idaho.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:59 PM »
I'm thinking the NRA = Tits on a boar hog at this point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
The time of hoping to fight off these things in the courtrooms has long passed.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
I've kept up my annual NRA membership for 5-6 years now but the whole LaPierre fiasco has me reconsidering that.
I'm a paid member of a state level 2A group nut I'm concerned that we do need a national level 2A group.
What are the worthwhile national level groups out there?
GOA? Anybody else?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
I've kept up my annual NRA membership for 5-6 years now but the whole LaPierre fiasco has me reconsidering that.
I'm a paid member of a state level 2A group nut I'm concerned that we do need a national level 2A group.
What are the worthwhile national level groups out there?
GOA? Anybody else?

SAF.  CCRKBA.

I consider SAF to be the real lion on our side.  Their court record is impressive.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
The time of hoping to fight off these things in the courtrooms has long passed.

... especially if the Democrats make good on their threat to pack SCOTUS.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »
I just let my NRA membership of about 25 years lapse because of the LaPierre debacle (RKL already used the word "fiasco" :D )  And I gave an extra $50 to the SAF.  I'll probably keep doing that.  If the NRA miraculously gets their act together I will rejoin and all I've lost is my voting rights for a few years, but member votes don't mean anything after the last change to the bylaws anyway.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 03:15:53 PM »
Aside from anyone else, make sure you support you state level gun rights organization if you have a good one.

I have heard good interviews from Firearms Policy Coalition.  The legal guy from the Gun Collective on Youtube is working for them.  I have been supporting SAF for a long time.  I started supporting GOA lately.  They hired a Texas rep who is someone I have heard of and she is pretty active. 

I don't think the NRA has much if any power right now.  If all the money they had been blowing over the last 20 years had been used to help get Congressmen elected, they might have some pull in D.C.  I don't see it right now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:02:53 PM »
Looks like the NRA is reorganizing, moving out of New York and into Texas. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/nra-files-bankruptcy-dumps-new-york-will-reincorporate-texas
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »
The NRA will be declared a domestic terrorist group and leadership arrested, with full support of the big tech and media. Any voice in support of the NRA will be canceled.

Look what happened to Ron Paul a day ago.

What happened to Ron Paul?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 01:06:04 AM »
What happened to Ron Paul?

facebook locked him out of his account for no obvious reason.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 05:35:54 AM »
facebook locked him out of his account for no obvious reason.

As much as it pains me to say it, "There ought'a be a law." Social media platforms should not be allowed to block elected officials from posting their thoughts and opinions.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 06:35:10 AM »
Ron Paul is not an elected official.

Although I agree with Hawkmoon, the social media companies are more than due for a hard look at how they are regulated and/or protected by the gov.

As a side note: I dropped off all social media a couple weeks back for my mental health,  but before I did I was cynically entertained by all my leftist, progressive friend's sudden embrace of a completely de-regulated free market, where the Gov doesn't dictate anything to a private company.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »

Although I agree with Hawkmoon, the social media companies are more than due for a hard look at how they are regulated and/or protected by the gov.

As a side note: I dropped off all social media a couple weeks back for my mental health,  but before I did I was cynically entertained by all my leftist, progressive friend's sudden embrace of a completely de-regulated free market, where the Gov doesn't dictate anything to a private company.

Similar to their sudden embrace of law and order and support of the police. I’ve had a lot of fun throwing their own words courtesy of screenshots back at them lately but all they do is react with “bUt itS nOt lIke tHaT aT aLL”

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »

Oops. Forgot which is which. Yeah, it's his son who is the elected official.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »

I think most NRA members still support the NRA primarily because those members have no idea what is going on with Lapierre, et al.  To them the NRA is the only gun rights group and they get a "free" magazine and bumper sticker for their $35 per year.

The NRA needs a serious house cleaning and reorganizing. We all know that the NRA has two main parts: the safety and shooting part, and the political part: the NRA-ILA.  The safety/shooting part needs to be completely separated from the ILA and renamed something other than NRA.  They need a full rebranding.  The ILA should keep operating, but also needs a new name, maybe NFA to play the 1934 law into our favor.

No matter what happens, I won't contribute to the NRA until Lapierre and his cronies are removed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 11:01:39 AM »
I think most NRA members still support the NRA primarily because those members have no idea what is going on with Lapierre, et al.  To them the NRA is the only gun rights group and they get a "free" magazine and bumper sticker for their $35 per year.

Over on The Firing Line forum I see both types. There are some who, like you and me, see that the top leadership of the NRA is rotten to the core and needs to be replaced. And then there are the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" diehards who, as you so aptly expressed it, truly believe that the NRA is the only gun rights group. They still proclaim to the heavens that we MUST continue to support the NRA or the 2nd Amendment is doomed, and all the accusations about Wayne LaPierre are falsehoods, created out of thin air by the anti-gun people who want to destroy the NRA.

I'm not sure which camp has more people in it.