Author Topic: Some silly person: pickup trucks glorify violence and "dominion"  (Read 1932 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Vancouver politician doesn't like pickup trucks:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/politician-says-pickup-trucks-glorify-violence-and-dominion-questions-male-truck-owners-masculinity-but-then-gets-angry-when-they-question-his

Best comment so far:
"You seem like a really irritating person to be around."

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know I own one.  Unfortunately it's not one of those diesels belching clouds of black smoke.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Some silly person: pickup trucks glorify violence and "dominion"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »
 Pickup trucks glorify being able to tackle basic home improvement remedies on one's own. Good luck bringing home awkwardly shaped/heavy loads in a prius.
Hi.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
I wonder how many trips I would have had to make to haul that 1/3 cord of oak firewood I brought home today if I had to drive a Prius?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »
Widdle Bubble Thinking.  Anything outside my widdle bubble of Prius and Tofu is simply not needed and at worst, ewwy and dangerous.

I swear, sometimes I think these people are still at the stage of mental development as when a child thinks a nickel is more valuable than a dime because it's bigger.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:20:17 PM »
In a later thread, Bond said that owners and operators of such trucks are simply trying to reinforce their masculinity.

Thank goodness. I thought the prevailing wisdom was that guns were necessary for men to reinforce their masculinity. I'm so relieved to know that I can now accomplish that just by driving a pickup truck, as opposed to owning an icky GUN!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:29:20 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:20:52 AM »
So women don't drive pickups? In that case, there are a ton of cross-dressers around here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »
I currently have TWO pickup trucks!!  What does that say about me, I wonder.

(Also, anyone want to buy a F150?)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
I currently have TWO pickup trucks!!  What does that say about me, I wonder.

(Also, anyone want to buy a F150?)

How much?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
How much?

You probably don't want it, it's 2WD.  In fact, it's for sale because SWMBO and I had it up in snow, ice, and mountain forest roads for Christmas and decided our camping rig needed to turn the front wheels as well.

But $6k.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
You probably don't want it, it's 2WD.  In fact, it's for sale because SWMBO and I had it up in snow, ice, and mountain forest roads for Christmas and decided our camping rig needed to turn the front wheels as well.

But $6k.

I'm gonna hate it whenever I decide to sell my current F150. It has performed well, and with the new tires I put on this year I've been comfortable driving it in most Southern Idaho Winter weather, but nobody, and I mean nobody, sells 2WD drive trucks in this state. I'll probably have to take a significant hit on it when I sell.

Though I happened to look just for the heck of it a few weeks ago, and new F150 XLTs exactly like mine except in 4WD are, with incentives, going for the same price I paid for mine in 2016. Toyota Tundras on the other hand - holy moly are they expensive right now!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »
I haven't owned anything that wasn't all wheel or four wheel drive in a long time.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
I'm gonna hate it whenever I decide to sell my current F150. It has performed well, and with the new tires I put on this year I've been comfortable driving it in most Southern Idaho Winter weather, but nobody, and I mean nobody, sells 2WD drive trucks in this state. I'll probably have to take a significant hit on it when I sell.

Though I happened to look just for the heck of it a few weeks ago, and new F150 XLTs exactly like mine except in 4WD are, with incentives, going for the same price I paid for mine in 2016. Toyota Tundras on the other hand - holy moly are they expensive right now!

Tundra's are always expensive.  Toyota's are good vehicles, but they are still trading on the reputation from the 90's.  They aren't that much better than the competition anymore.

Honestly, pickup trucks in general are just expensive.  I know a lot of people use them as daily drivers instead of solely work vehicles, and that brings more refinement and comforts into the segment, but dang, even used trucks ain't cheap.  The flip side to that is the '14 FX4 Ecoboost I just picked up is a really nice vehicle to ride in.  And kinda stupid fast for a truck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
Tundra's are always expensive.  Toyota's are good vehicles, but they are still trading on the reputation from the 90's.  They aren't that much better than the competition anymore.

Honestly, pickup trucks in general are just expensive.  I know a lot of people use them as daily drivers instead of solely work vehicles, and that brings more refinement and comforts into the segment, but dang, even used trucks ain't cheap.  The flip side to that is the '14 FX4 Ecoboost I just picked up is a really nice vehicle to ride in.  And kinda stupid fast for a truck.

Yeah, they were always more expensive, but I noticed the current new Tundra's, at least for sale here, are even a couple grand higher than I remember from a year ago when I was window shopping, and they have been on the same generation forever.

Which Ecoboost did you end up getting?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 11:07:49 AM »
I haven't owned anything that wasn't all wheel or four wheel drive in a long time.

Everything I drive except my lawnmower is 4 wheel drive.

Can I get extra toxic masculinity points for driving this?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
Yeah, they were always more expensive, but I noticed the current new Tundra's, at least for sale here, are even a couple grand higher than I remember from a year ago when I was window shopping, and they have been on the same generation forever.

Which Ecoboost did you end up getting?

3.5.  That's all they had in the generation of trucks I was looking at.  But I like it.  That torque kicks in low.

RKL-

I guess you can have two point, because it's gas, right?  If you had a Deuce and a half you get SJW points because it'll burn bio-fuel.  An M35 is pretty much a Prius.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
Tundra's are always expensive.  Toyota's are good vehicles, but they are still trading on the reputation from the 90's.  They aren't that much better than the competition anymore.

Honestly, pickup trucks in general are just expensive.  I know a lot of people use them as daily drivers instead of solely work vehicles, and that brings more refinement and comforts into the segment, but dang, even used trucks ain't cheap.  The flip side to that is the '14 FX4 Ecoboost I just picked up is a really nice vehicle to ride in.  And kinda stupid fast for a truck.
I wouldn't say that.  The resale on Toyota's is still one of the highest.  My Tacoma is doing well, but only 2 years old.  1st 4x4 I ever had. 

That said, the 2011 F150 Ecoboost I had was overall good, but had some electrical issues when I traded it in.  Also, spark plugs/boots had to be replaced every 60K miles.  Maybe they fixed that now.  On the other side, the 2003 GMC I had before that was excellent. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 02:21:03 PM »
This guy hates pickup trucks....until he has to move then he is calling anyone he knows with a truck. (or hiring someone with a truck)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »
My four wheel drive is not working right now. Does that make me more or less violent?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
My four wheel drive is not working right now. Does that make me more or less violent?
Mobility Dysfunction?  Don't they make pills for that?  Must be something else.     =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 04:44:05 PM »
3.5.  That's all they had in the generation of trucks I was looking at.  But I like it.  That torque kicks in low.

I think that's a good choice, especially if you're gonna tow or carry a heavy load. One thing I noticed about my 2.7 on the long trips I have taken with it is that when you hit places where the limit is 80mph, you can definitely see the engine work more on the long stretch. Seems like around 75mph is the cutoff on mine where efficiency degrades quickly. Same with hauling big loads in the back. 3/4 ton of sand is definitely noticeable on how hard the engine works.

I have been told these are non-issues with the 3.5. I have loved everything else about the 2.7, and even those two "negative" things are quite manageable for my uses. If I was doing more heavy lifting over long distance than I do though, the 3.5 would be a better choice, IMO.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 04:59:41 PM »

Mine either.  I'm just now putting the transmission back in, after rebuilding it in the garage.  I was trying to back a redimix cement trailer up a hill, when the torque converter seal decided to fail.  Transmission fluid poured past it, out the inspection port, and onto the exhaust Y pipe.  And caught fire.

Yea, that was a good day.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »
What's wrong with being violent and dominating?

Also, apparently I need a pick up truck to fully express myself...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 06:26:37 PM »
Mine either.  I'm just now putting the transmission back in, after rebuilding it in the garage.  I was trying to back a redimix cement trailer up a hill, when the torque converter seal decided to fail.  Transmission fluid poured past it, out the inspection port, and onto the exhaust Y pipe.  And caught fire.

Yea, that was a good day.

Mine was a busted passenger side hub (fixed now, had to replace with manual lockouts), glad I didn't have your day.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »
I plan on looking at mine this week. Might be as simple as the switch.

Yeah I don't get that lucky.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
I plan on looking at mine this week. Might be as simple as the switch.

Yeah I don't get that lucky.

Whatcha got?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536