Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Author Topic: This is most decidedly...  (Read 307 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is most decidedly...
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »

a chili kind of weekend. It's cold and windy today, but this weekend it's just supposed to be cold, and on Sunday, the chance of snow, which is looking more and more like a sure thing. Oh joy!

So, time to pull out the chili pot. I'm thinking that this time around I'm going to make a pork based chili. I've got a really nice piece of pork loin in the freezer that I need to use, and I think that's a pretty good way to use it.

Plus I also have a half pound of bacon left over from the Beef Boogaloo, so I'll work that in, as well.

I've never done a completely pork based chili before, and I've found a number of interesting recipes, including a couple that use... corn? Never thought of that before. That's just odd, but what ever.

I think I'm going to modify my rapper chili recipe, though, and use that. The base is darned good, so that should be a winner all around.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: This is most decidedly...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »

Take notes.  You'll be pissed if your variation on a theme is tits and have no way of reproducing it. (My wife does this frequently).  Also then you can share it with us.

Do you have an appropriately sized stump?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:36:34 AM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

Iím not blinded by hate. I hate because Iím not blind

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »

Good chili always starts with bacon.
Please report back to us.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 03:59:36 PM »

Half pound of bacon.

So far so good. Been in the crockpot since about 9:30. Should be ready soon.

Tastes good already.

And yeah, it's chili weather. It's miserable out there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 07:15:28 AM »

OK, not a bad pot of chili. Not my best, but still pretty good. I like the pork loin in it, but I think I'll stick with ground turkey. I threw in two large chipotles in adobo sauce and that really spiced things up quite a bit, too.

Best of all, I have two large containers left over for dinners, lunches, and maybe even freezing.

The big difference this time, though, was that I used canned beans instead of soaking my own. Just didn't feel like it. I used a number 3 can of Navy beans. Good, but I like the texture better when I soak my own.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »

I threw in two large chipotles in adobo sauce and that really spiced things up quite a bit, too.
I did this with a recent pot of chili too and really liked the outcome.

Also substituted condensed tomato soup for tomato paste (unplanned, that's just what I had on hand) and was pleasantly surprised with the result.  One thing I really don't like are watery chilis with a heavy tomato flavor, and a can of condensed tomato soup (without adding any water) seemed to fit the bill there. 

Simmering for several hours to reduce liquid content and combine flavors helps a bunch too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »

Mine was a little on the watery side, but not too bad. That's generally a thing when using the crock pot.

In the past I've dealt with that by either adding some instant potato flakes, crushing up some tortilla chips and mixing them in, or adding some fine ground corn meal.