Author Topic: Don't Take Your Phone to DC  (Read 845 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Don't Take Your Phone to DC
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:33 AM »
Separate from the inauguration thread I think, since it touches on a larger issue.

The FBI is tracking down cell phones that pinged within the vicinity of the Capitol on 06JAN to "interview them". Makes me continue wishing all the manufacturers didn't switch to non-removable batteries. I gotta start keeping aluminum foil in the glove compartment.  :laugh:

Interesting that AOC was warning the protestors acceptable to the left how to avoid this type of tracking during their riots.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/22/aoc-warned-them-fbi-now-reportedly-interviewing-people-whose-cell-phones-were-near-the-capitol-on-jan-6/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Don't Take Your Phone to DC
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:13:11 AM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:30 AM »
Hello FBI, do you know where my cell phone is?
It's under the couch cushions in the living room? Thanks.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »
Does "Airplane mode" disable the tracking?  How about turning off the power?
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »
Does "Airplane mode" disable the tracking?  How about turning off the power?

Probably not.

I've read a few articles that say it is easy to remotely access a phone even if it is "off."  I don't know how easy it is to do that on a wide area basis or if it has to be done to a single phone at a time.

Just leave your phone at home.  Don't use your personal vehicle and don't use public transport that requires an ID to use.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
Even the freedom phone above won’t do *expletive deleted*it against the capturing of the data that crosses the towers, especially the fake towers that some LE such as the FBI uses to mimic a legit tower and capture everything.

Yeah if I was going to a protest I’d get a burner with cash in BFE for comms (can’t be long before they outlaw that) but leave my iPhone at the house for sure.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
You have complete freedom of movement without being tracked as long as you don't use any common modes of motorized conveyance and stop using all common modes of electronic communication.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
Boomhauer is correct.

The Librem 5 can still be tracked. Every phone has an EMEI number which allows it to talk to cell towers.  The NSA and others can still listen in on cell towers (stingray) and track you with your EMEI number.  You can beat that with WIFI only calling over a VPN.  The Librem has no apps so there is no app tracking.

Better choice IMO would be a prepaid burner phone bought with cash.  Or tell the Feds you lost your phone in a tragic boating accident.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
You have complete freedom of movement without being tracked as long as you don't use any common modes of motorized conveyance and stop using all common modes of electronic communication.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22:13 AM »
The feebs no doubt have Stingray units (or something much more advanced by now) set up and monitoring in non-permissive environments. If you walk near a non-permissive environment, all of your metadata is going to get hoovered up. You are not only putting yourself in the spotlight, but your contacts as well.

I'm pretty sure even Antifa has figured out to leave their cell phones home or at least in faraday pouches.

There was a graphic that came out last summer where some 4chan collaborators were able to ID and doxx every Antifa member around Portland or Seattle just by using a little metadata dark magic obtained from one member.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »
Someone should introduce a bill putting the USPS in charge of tracking people since they're the undisputed expects at tracking.

In other words I just had this happen again.

UPS tracking: Package was transferred to USPS 3 days ago.
USPS tracking: What package?

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama