Author Topic: Fermentation: Aerobic (Yeast)  (Read 30634 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Fermentation: Aerobic (Yeast)
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
Racked to the secondary, didn't taste too bad.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
I'm brewing a rye ale right now.  First brew since about February or March.  (I should be brewing about once a month)  I'm using yeast cultured from 2 cans of August Schell's Hefeweizen.  I wrote to them a couple months ago, and a brewer responded that it's unfiltered and unpasteurized.  When I decanted the stale beer off the top of the starter culture, it tasted a little sour with no off flavors or smells.  Schell's hefe is a little sour, so I think that's a good sign.  I added some fresh starter wort and it took off within a few hours.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Amber Rye Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.41%
IBU (tinseth): 31.51
SRM (morey): 12.31
Mash pH: 5.47

FERMENTABLES:
98 oz - Pale 2-Row (76.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Rye (12.5%)
8 oz - CaraRye (6.3%)
5 oz - Aromatic Malt (3.9%)
1 oz - Black Barley (0.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 24.17
1 oz - Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.33

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 120 F, Amount: 2 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
4 ml - Phosphoric acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1 g - Table Salt, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Cultured from cans of Schell's Hefeweisen
Starter: Yes

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2019-08-25 00:17 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2019-08-24 21:53 UTC
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
Bottling the Black Currant wine tonight, sampling in a bit. Smells wonderful.

Pitched yeast into rhubarb must made from 15# rhubarb, 16# sugar, added 3 gallons water, gassed it 2 days ago, squeezed the what was left of the juice out the rhubarb stalks, SG is 1.132.  Let the orgy begin!

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »
Rhubarb racked again tonight, it's boozy, semi sweet and very subtle rhubarb. 6 more months before bottling.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 10:24:31 PM »
I bought a Tilt hydrometer about a month ago, and just used it for the first time.  My parents sent me some money for my birthday and I decided to actually buy something a little extravagant with it instead of it just disappearing into the bill-paying account.

I brewed a rye beer again, but this one was 53% pale rye malt; kinda strong (about 7% ABV.)  I was amazed that it was finished fermenting in just 3 days in my cold basement utility room.  I waited another week to bottle it, and the plastic tester bottles were carbonated in just a few days.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iBhs-o9ANtEIxi3WCy6rDh95sEg2He2vHPbLXcghoww/edit?usp=sharing  (let's see if this works)  The spreadsheet says it's about 6.5% ABV, but it doesn't now about the 2 ounces of sugar that I added when I moved it from a bucket to a carboy (you can see the little blip in the specific gravity graph)

I'm drinking one now.  It's still a bit cloudy but does not taste yeasty.  It does not really taste like I thought rye would, but it's different than barley beer; kind of a creaminess even though it is quite thin.  I think it will clear if I store them in the fridge for a few days.  There's a lot of sediment in the bottles but it stays put when you pour.  (K-97 yeast)

I also have 4 gallons of Concord grape wine going, using Aldi grape juice, sugar, 2 tsp of powdered chalk to reduce the acid, and Vintner's Harvest AW4 yeast (that's a German white wine yeast)  I have racked it off the lees once, now waiting for it to clear.  I haven't added any sulfites yet, I will do that at bottling time, whenever that is.  The hydrometer sample last week tasted interesting, in a good way.  Not Mogen David-y at all. :)
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »
I bought a Brunello wine kit back in 2017 before I got married.
I started it this last summer after getting separated.
the specific gravity was a little low starting out, I've racked it twice and might rack it the final time today and ket it age a year.
So far it tastes good.
I still have a few bottles of Borolo left that I bottled in 2018 (1 batch makes about 32-35 bottles), which I'm saving for special occasions. I bought myself a case of Cotes du Rhone that I liked for Christmas that will have to hold me over until my current batch is bottled.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
The best wine I've made was with 5 bottles of Aldi's Concord grape juice, 3 bottles of white (Niagara) grape juice, enough sugar to get it to a reasonable gravity, and BV7 yeast.  It should have been a red wine but the BV7 stripped out a lot of the color and it ended up a Rose'.  I added Campden tablets at bottling.  That was a year ago; I have just a few bottles left.  I opened one a week ago and wasn't any better with age but it hadn't deteriorated yet either.

I'm getting a little annoyed with the Concord wine I have fermenting because it's taking so long.  I haven't tested it with a hydrometer, but whenever I rock the carboy a little new tiny CO2 bubbles come up.  I raised the temperature to 70° for a week to speed it up and that didn't make any difference, so it's back at 60° now and I'll just wait it out.  I think it will be good eventually.  It's probably ready to drink now if you like cheap semi-dry Lambrusco (not that there's anything wrong with that)
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 04:48:47 PM »
Tag for the good info.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 08:54:01 PM »
The best wine I've made was with 5 bottles of Aldi's Concord grape juice, 3 bottles of white (Niagara) grape juice, enough sugar to get it to a reasonable gravity, and BV7 yeast.  It should have been a red wine but the BV7 stripped out a lot of the color and it ended up a Rose'.  I added Campden tablets at bottling.  That was a year ago; I have just a few bottles left.  I opened one a week ago and wasn't any better with age but it hadn't deteriorated yet either.

I'm getting a little annoyed with the Concord wine I have fermenting because it's taking so long.  I haven't tested it with a hydrometer, but whenever I rock the carboy a little new tiny CO2 bubbles come up.  I raised the temperature to 70° for a week to speed it up and that didn't make any difference, so it's back at 60° now and I'll just wait it out.  I think it will be good eventually.  It's probably ready to drink now if you like cheap semi-dry Lambrusco (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Its spendy and a kit wine, but I've made several batches of this over the last 10 years. https://www.northmountainsupply.com/wine-expert-selection-6-gallon-wine-ingredient-kit-italian-brunello-w-grape-skins.html
OTOH, you end up with 30+ bottles of wine that cost about $5/bottle, that will taste better than just about anything you will find in a store.
I've had good Brunello wines at $60-70/bottle, the stuff made from this kit is at the same level for flavor and drinkability. I switch between Brunello and Barolo kits depending on availability form year to year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
Its spendy and a kit wine, but I've made several batches of this over the last 10 years. https://www.northmountainsupply.com/wine-expert-selection-6-gallon-wine-ingredient-kit-italian-brunello-w-grape-skins.html
OTOH, you end up with 30+ bottles of wine that cost about $5/bottle, that will taste better than just about anything you will find in a store.
I've had good Brunello wines at $60-70/bottle, the stuff made from this kit is at the same level for flavor and drinkability. I switch between Brunello and Barolo kits depending on availability form year to year.

That's not a bad price for what you get.  I'm not that much of a wine drinker tho.  I'm having fun making the best wine I can with the cheapest juice available.

I just looked up the temperature range for the yeast I'm using.  https://winemakermag.com/resource/yeast-strains-chart  68 to 77°.  Oops.  I must have confused it with something else.  No wonder it's taking so long to finish in my cold basement!  I should put the heating pad back on it and crank it up to 75°.
"It's good, though..."