Author Topic: 2nd Impeachment trial  (Read 2292 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: 2nd Impeachment trial
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
Patrick Leahy to preside over the second impeachment trial:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/leahy-to-preside-over-senate-impeachment-trial

Yeah, I'm sure that will be fine . . .

How is that Constitutional? ? ?    [tinfoil]   Ooooops,  I forgot,  no one cares about that anymore .....  [tinfoil] :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:05 PM »
Hmmmm . . . here's a thought.

If Patrick Leahy - a sitting senator - is to preside over a second impeachment trial, he doesn't get to vote on the verdict, does he?

In which case, a simple vote to dismiss would have 50 Republicans vs. 49 Democrats - case dismissed. (Assuming Romney and a few others don't go full retard.)

A 2/3rds majority (66 votes) is required to convict an impeached president in the Senate.  All Democrats, with a couple possible exceptions, will vote to convict.  It will take at least sixteen Republicans voting with the Democrats to convict Trump to double-plus now-and-forever remove him from the office he no longer holds.  It's possible sixteen Republicans could be rounded up to show their lack of conviction by voting for Trump's conviction.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 08:31:08 PM »
Since Trump is no longer in office, isn't the article of impeachment a bill of attainder?   (I know it's a kangaroo court at this point so the law doesn't matter)
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
If one were to believe that Biden was not legitimately elected it would make sense to want to dispose of the last legitimate president just in case.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
It's not about Trump.

It's a warning to anyone who might be thinking of running for POTUS on a populist/nationalist platform

It's either accept globalism 100%, which means being cozy with the ChiComs, or what happened to Trump over the last four years will happen to you.

There's a reason that Bernie (and Liz) were frozen out on the Dem side. Both of them have some sympathy towards economic nationalist ideas. And skepticism towards the wall St/financial engineering types. Can't let them anywhere near the presidency.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »
They want to get the sedition clause in there so he can't run for office again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 06:06:17 PM »
Looks like Rand Paul has this dead in the Senate.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senators-sworn-in-impeachment-trial-start-feb-9

These five Rs think it's okie doke to impeach a private citizen:

Five GOP senators voted not to dismiss the impeachment trial of President Trump: Susan Collins, Maine, Lisa Murkowski, Alaska, Ben Sasse, Neb., and Pat Toomey, Pa. They voted with all 50 Democrat senators to table the point of order.

I'll be watching their names when commie stuff comes up for a vote that is close.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
The only reason I can think of to vote against this is to bring in the evidence showing it was preplaned by several small groups. Make the incitement mute. But looking at that list its a no from me.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
Pat Toomey announced in October that he isn't going to seek reelection or run for governor of PA, so no surprise there with his vote.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »
The Ds want to shred the Constitution -- selectively.

Rand Paul made an impassioned speech (which is on TouTube) about how this trial is unconstitutional because Trump is no longer the President. The Ds argument is that because one of the penalties of a conviction, in addition to removal from office, can be a ban on holding office in the future, the trial is constitutional. But the Constitution says a trial pursuant to impeachment shall be presided over by the Chief Justice.

The Ds have appointed a rabid anti-trump D to preside. So their position comes down to cherry picking: The Constitution allows the trial to proceed even though Trump is no longer President, but because Trump is no longer President the part about rhe Chief Justice doesn't apply.

Blatant hypocrisy. But ... I repeat myself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:43 PM »
The Ds want to shred the Constitution -- selectively.

Rand Paul made an impassioned speech (which is on TouTube) about how this trial is unconstitutional because Trump is no longer the President. The Ds argument is that because one of the penalties of a conviction, in addition to removal from office, can be a ban on holding office in the future, the trial is constitutional. But the Constitution says a trial pursuant to impeachment shall be presided over by the Chief Justice.

The Ds have appointed a rabid anti-trump D to preside. So their position comes down to cherry picking: The Constitution allows the trial to proceed even though Trump is no longer President, but because Trump is no longer President the part about rhe Chief Justice doesn't apply.

Blatant hypocrisy. But ... I repeat myself.
I hadn't realized they were doing that.  I wonder if the Chief Justice has any comment about it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2021, 07:13:05 PM »
I hadn't realized they were doing that.  I wonder if the Chief Justice has any comment about it?

The Chief Justice refused to preside over the trial.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »
Rand Paul got 45 votes on his Constitutional point of order so hopefully the impeachment is dead cuz Dems won’t have 2/3rds to convict.

https://twitter.com/randpaul/status/1354163711917903872?s=21

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 11:43:46 PM »
Leahy may not be up to the "stress" of a trial.
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/vermont-sen-patrick-leahy-returns-home-after-hospital-visit
  >:D
When I saw that on the news the first thing I thought was "Leahy decided he doesn't want any part of this tar baby either . . . "

We'll see if the backroom boys twist his arm a little harder.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama