Author Topic: Minimum Wage  (Read 881 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Minimum Wage
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
I look forward to increased interactions with robots, AI, and self-checkouts. On the bright side, they might all speak English.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/senate-democrats-introduce-bill-to-raise-national-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour_3673552.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Minimum Wage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
I look forward to increased interactions with robots, AI, and self-checkouts. On the bright side, they might all speak English.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/senate-democrats-introduce-bill-to-raise-national-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour_3673552.html

Better give everyone a 103% raise while they are at it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm sure those $20 Big Macs will taste even better.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »
Better give everyone a 103% raise while they are at it.

Well, that's what will happen when you try a "one size fits all" law like this. The $15 isn't enough to live on in NYC. In much of flyover, skilled people like electricians aren't making much more than $20/hr, and they seem to do okay given the cost of living. Where I am, minimum wage is currently $7.25. I might argue that this is too low given rising expenses (thanks California!), but $15 would be too high. That electrician is going to (rightly) say that if the kid at the local diner is getting $15, then he's certainly worth $30, and he would be right, and then everybody's expenses to get stuff done goes up.

That 30 year old burger flipper that is taking the job of a High School kid is going to kill grandma on her fixed SS income.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:17:04 PM »
Well, that's what will happen when you try a "one size fits all" law like this. The $15 isn't enough to live on in NYC. In much of flyover, skilled people like electricians aren't making much more than $20/hr, and they seem to do okay given the cost of living. Where I am, minimum wage is currently $7.25. I might argue that this is too low given rising expenses (thanks California!), but $15 would be too high. That electrician is going to (rightly) say that if the kid at the local diner is getting $15, then he's certainly worth $30, and he would be right, and then everybody's expenses to get stuff done goes up.

That 30 year old burger flipper that is taking the job of a High School kid is going to kill grandma on her fixed SS income.

I live in flyover over country, very few places actually pay minimum wage, most start at 11/hr just so they can get people to apply. McDonald's near my house is always advertising at $11/hr starting wage. Unskilled helper like manual labor, like construction or road construction work is at least $15/hr to start. Non Union journeymen are going to be making over $30/hr here. It's cheap to live here too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »
I'd love to take my current salary to flyover country... GTF away from DC and all of the people and traffic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
I'm sure those $20 Big Macs will taste even better.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
https://www.seattle.gov/laborstandards/ordinances/minimum-wage

Seattle is already in excess of $ 15/hour minimum wage depending on the size of the employer.  Depending on what end of the political spectrum you want to cherry pick your data from, this is either a sign that the Apocalypse is nigh for businesses, or a sign that Utopia on Earth has been achieved.  From what HR tells me, it is a tight labor market up here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.