Author Topic: This is most decidedly...  (Read 2955 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is most decidedly...
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »
a chili kind of weekend. It's cold and windy today, but this weekend it's just supposed to be cold, and on Sunday, the chance of snow, which is looking more and more like a sure thing. Oh joy!

So, time to pull out the chili pot. I'm thinking that this time around I'm going to make a pork based chili. I've got a really nice piece of pork loin in the freezer that I need to use, and I think that's a pretty good way to use it.

Plus I also have a half pound of bacon left over from the Beef Boogaloo, so I'll work that in, as well.

I've never done a completely pork based chili before, and I've found a number of interesting recipes, including a couple that use... corn? Never thought of that before. That's just odd, but what ever.

I think I'm going to modify my rapper chili recipe, though, and use that. The base is darned good, so that should be a winner all around.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: This is most decidedly...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »
Take notes.  You'll be pissed if your variation on a theme is tits and have no way of reproducing it. (My wife does this frequently).  Also then you can share it with us.

Do you have an appropriately sized stump?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:36:34 AM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
Good chili always starts with bacon.
Please report back to us.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 03:59:36 PM »
Half pound of bacon.

So far so good. Been in the crockpot since about 9:30. Should be ready soon.

Tastes good already.

And yeah, it's chili weather. It's miserable out there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 07:15:28 AM »
OK, not a bad pot of chili. Not my best, but still pretty good. I like the pork loin in it, but I think I'll stick with ground turkey. I threw in two large chipotles in adobo sauce and that really spiced things up quite a bit, too.

Best of all, I have two large containers left over for dinners, lunches, and maybe even freezing.

The big difference this time, though, was that I used canned beans instead of soaking my own. Just didn't feel like it. I used a number 3 can of Navy beans. Good, but I like the texture better when I soak my own.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »
I threw in two large chipotles in adobo sauce and that really spiced things up quite a bit, too.
I did this with a recent pot of chili too and really liked the outcome.

Also substituted condensed tomato soup for tomato paste (unplanned, that's just what I had on hand) and was pleasantly surprised with the result.  One thing I really don't like are watery chilis with a heavy tomato flavor, and a can of condensed tomato soup (without adding any water) seemed to fit the bill there. 

Simmering for several hours to reduce liquid content and combine flavors helps a bunch too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
Mine was a little on the watery side, but not too bad. That's generally a thing when using the crock pot.

In the past I've dealt with that by either adding some instant potato flakes, crushing up some tortilla chips and mixing them in, or adding some fine ground corn meal.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »
It's getting a lot cooler here in NoVA, so I've decided that today is the first big pot of chili kind of day.

Beans have soaked over night (yes, I realize that causes some of you great pain, and that makes me laugh!), got 2.5 pounds of ground turkey, lots of tomatoes...

To quote Shedon Cooper when asked if his chili with beans was to his liking...

"Well, I don't know what this is, but it's very good."

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 08:49:48 PM »
What's a recipe?
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 07:13:14 AM »
What's a recipe?

That's a thing you follow once, when making something new, then throw it away and spin your own updates into the next version.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »
Hi everyone, Im having a problem making chili and maybe you can help me out. firstly its... vegetarian (gasp) My wife is vegetarian so i use soy crumble as a substitute. I cant change that. What happens is I can get it as hot as I want but there isnt a depth of flavor.  I saute peppers, hot peppers, onions and garlic. Then add home canned tomatoes. Add chilpoltle chili, chili powder, cumin, a pinch of oregano  and salt for seasoning.  Then add black beans and fake meat then simmer. Sometimes I'll add smoke flavor.
Would sauteing some tomato paste add some depth of flavor? What else can I try? Thanks, Pete

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »
Sautéed mushrooms might help bring in some of the taste you are missing from having meat in it. You could also try adding some Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce. If I were making vegetarian chili I’d probably start with whole tomatoes and cook them up almost like a pasta sauce as a tomato base, then make it into chili from there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
I agree that the mushrooms would help.

Also, Sazon Goya is a real flavor bomb.

The one thing I do for my chili, to create the base layer of flavor, is to start out with TWO of the pre mix packets of chili spice and build from there.

That's for a regular pot. For a larger pot I'll go with more packets.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. i think soy sauce instead of salt would be good. I hadnt thought of worcestershire indeed that would add flavor. I agree the packets add taste. I am trying to imatate 6 gun chili mix with whats in my cupboard. Theres something I am missing. It isnt the meat but maybe the mushrooms or extra olive oil would help that. corn in it is ok it adds sweetness. I also sometimes like small cauliflower bits in also. Pete

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »
It sounds as if you are looking to add unami.  https://www.seriouseats.com/umami-ingredients

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi everyone, Im having a problem making chili and maybe you can help me out. firstly its... vegetarian (gasp) My wife is vegetarian so i use soy crumble as a substitute. I cant change that. What happens is I can get it as hot as I want but there isnt a depth of flavor.  I saute peppers, hot peppers, onions and garlic. Then add home canned tomatoes. Add chilpoltle chili, chili powder, cumin, a pinch of oregano  and salt for seasoning.  Then add black beans and fake meat then simmer. Sometimes I'll add smoke flavor.
Would sauteing some tomato paste add some depth of flavor? What else can I try? Thanks, Pete

Dried ancho chiles.  (remove the stems of course, and the seeds not because they are hot but because they are obnoxious)  I usually use New Mexico or Guajillo dried chiles, but that's when I have a lot of beef and either pork stock or bacon.  Anchos are special, almost like chewing tobacco but in a good way :)

That should take care of most of it but not quite.  For umami, mushrooms is a good idea.  Or MSG.  I'd be careful with soy sauce, it can easily overpower everything.  Can you use oyster sauce?  Probably not, but not but a little of that would help too.

To quote Sheldon Cooper when asked if his chili with beans was to his liking...

"Well, I don't know what this is, but it's very good."

:rofl:  Excellent response.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »
Everyone I've made this for has loved it, both when I just follow the recipe and when I doctor it up for a change of pace. I've added liquid smoke, used chipotle peppers, made a toasted dried pepper slurry to give it different flavor etc. Honestly I usually just follow the recipe, it's that tasty.

Black Bean Chili

2 - cans black beans
2 tbsp cumin seed
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2- large yellow onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups -  bell pepper, finely chopped
1- clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup - olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup jalapeño, finely chopped

Bake the cumin seed and oregano in oven at 325 for ten to twelve minutes, or until fragrance is toasty

Saute onions, bell peppers, and garlic in the oil along with the toasted cumin seed, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt, until onions and peppers are soft.

Add tomatoes, jalapenos and beans. Add water to adjust to your preferred consistency. 

Simmer until flavors are blended.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:49:27 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »
From back in the days of kollidge...

Okay, one guy had a bunch of venison roasty things, I had a black angus roasty, other people had other things.

Cut everything up into dice-size pieces. Schmoke it in the BBQ with the lid on and slow on top of heavy aluminum foil.

Go to the store.

First, smoke a few joints. Then go to the store.

Shop. Heh, heh, heh...

Put all the meat in the Big Pot. Add some tomatoes, add some cut-up onions, and one to see if it comes apart. Add a bunch of other stuff, because... well, we were high. Add one tap of cigar ashes, two roaches, sans papers, and a bit of salt and pepper and... Oh yeah- we bought a LOT of peppers and stuff. Slice, dice, ignore the blood. Still have weed, no papers, someone has a bong.

Pour in a beer. Add a wee little bit of tequilla. And there's that five pound loaf of government cheese. Put it all on L O W....

The afternoon of the next day.

DAYUM. I don't know what we did, but it rocked. No beans, no pasta. We were eating it with Doritos...

You know, if it wasn't something I'd get fired over, I'd take up smoking again...

(never did find a trace of the "solid onion.")
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies. i think soy sauce instead of salt would be good. I hadnt thought of worcestershire indeed that would add flavor. I agree the packets add taste. I am trying to imatate 6 gun chili mix with whats in my cupboard. Theres something I am missing. It isnt the meat but maybe the mushrooms or extra olive oil would help that. corn in it is ok it adds sweetness. I also sometimes like small cauliflower bits in also. Pete

In chili I've found that molasses adds complexity, coffee and cocoa also. A little goes a long way. 

Toasting the dried peppers, cumin and oregano also help. I'm not sure why you even bother with the meat substitute. That's probably introducing the blandness you're trying to overcome.

Putting the various varieties of dried toasted chili peppers in a food processer and making a slurry using vegetable broth, then adding to the pot will add a lot of flavor. It is called CHILI for a reason :)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
Guys I nade a chili with roasted peppers last night. I thinkI overdid the hot peppers. But it tasted good. thanks for all the ideas to try. Thanks, Pete

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »

If you're looking for a soy-like flavor boost without the extra salt, try this product:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bragg-Liquid-Aminos-16-Fl-Oz/29823609?wl13=780&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075:aud-807615483&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Local&wl12=29823609_0&wl14=aminos&veh=sem&gclid=99105c4732c613dc09573d1a81618e63&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=99105c4732c613dc09573d1a81618e63

I frequently use it in dishes where I want the flavor boost but not the salt.

As for the TVP, it doesn't really contribute to blandness as it's really good at soaking up whatever flavors are in the pot. I've used both crumbled and chunk TVP in my chili -- I quite like it, as it has a very meat-like mouth feel.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 10:41:26 AM »
Putting the various varieties of dried toasted chili peppers in a food processer and making a slurry using vegetable broth, then adding to the pot will add a lot of flavor. It is called CHILI for a reason :)

I use a lot of dried peppers in mine.  I don't toast them (maybe I should).  I remove the stems and a lot of the seeds, then simmer them in water until tender.  Then blenderize them in the cooking water to make a paste, maybe with a bouillon cube and some garlic cloves, and strain it thru a sieve to remove the skins and stray seeds.  Some peppers, like ancho and chipotle don't have tough skins and don't need to be strained.  Some have tough plasticky skins that are unpleasant if you don't grind them up fine enough (New Mexico, Guajillo, cascabel, etc)  I put the sludge from the sieve back in the blender and add a little water and blend it again, then strain that into the chili to make sure I get all the goodness.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 06:54:13 PM »
I use a lot of dried peppers in mine.  I don't toast them (maybe I should).  I remove the stems and a lot of the seeds, then simmer them in water until tender.  Then blenderize them in the cooking water to make a paste, maybe with a bouillon cube and some garlic cloves, and strain it thru a sieve to remove the skins and stray seeds.  Some peppers, like ancho and chipotle don't have tough skins and don't need to be strained.  Some have tough plasticky skins that are unpleasant if you don't grind them up fine enough (New Mexico, Guajillo, cascabel, etc)  I put the sludge from the sieve back in the blender and add a little water and blend it again, then strain that into the chili to make sure I get all the goodness.

Toasting makes the chili really smoky and rich, moderation or it becomes overpowering IMO.

I just tried your simmering method this afternoon and really like the results.

Pulling together a chili recipe for the chili cookoff at church at the end of the month.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 12:21:07 AM »
My wife likes to add a pinch of cinnamon to her chili.
My chili recipe is floating around here somewhere in the way back machine
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
Another chili weekend.

Most times I make my chili with ground turkey.

This time? I'm going more traditional and I'm going to use a combination of round and chuck chunks I got as "stew meat" on sale at the grocery.

And yes, there will be beans. LOTS of beans. Because it pisses you guys off.  :rofl: