Author Topic: Bank of America Working With FBI  (Read 1118 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bank of America Working With FBI
« on: February 05, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »
Bank of America is giving the FBI information on private citizens that seems to cover a very broad area:

Here's what that profile was: "1. Customers confirmed as transacting, either through bank account debit card or credit card purchases in Washington, D.C. between 1/5 and 1/6. 2. Purchases made for Hotel/Airbnb RSVPs in DC, VA, and MD after 1/6. 3. Any purchase of weapons or at a weapons-related merchant between 1/7 and their upcoming suspected stay in D.C. area around Inauguration Day. 4. Airline related purchases since 1/6."

The first thing you should notice about that profile is that it's remarkably broad. Any purchases of anything in Washington, D.C.; any overnight stay anywhere in an area spanning three jurisdictions and hundreds of miles; any purchase not just of legal firearms, but anything bought from a "weapons-related merchant," T-shirts included; and any airline-related purchases -- not just flights to Washington, but flights to anywhere, from Omaha to Thailand. That is an absurdly wide net.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-bank-of-america-customer-data-feds-capitol-riot

I hate B of A. It's the bank I started with, because when my parents came to America, they wanted to be Americans so "Bank of America" was where they wanted to keep their money, so that's where I started too, when my dad set me up with a savings account as a kid. I kept them for a long time, but now am mostly out because of their policies. I unfortunately have to still keep one account there, because my 93 year old dad, who has been with them for almost 60 years, won't switch. With all the stuff they have done in the last years, they need to change their name to "Bank of Gestapo".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Bank of America Working With FBI
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »
We were with B of A for a short time back in 2000 but pitched them for someone better.  I'll certainly never use them for anything going forward, even moreso after this.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:21:03 AM »
I hate banks in general, but BoA I despise with the fury of an exploding star.

I will never, under any circumstances, do business with BoA ever again.

When I bought my first Forester in December 2019 I asked the dealership to investigate financing options. The lowest rate, by a small amount, was BoA and they were going to write me with them. I told the finance guy to stop what he was doing and either go with the next one (which turned out to be BB&T) or I'd use my credit union preapproved draft (which was higher still).

When my Dad died I went through absolute hell with BoA trying to get them to honor the insurance he had one his one credit card (I'd paid the card balance, not thinking that he had the account insurance, and I was pretty in shock and not thinking straight when the person on the phone demanded immediate payment of the account when I called to notify them of his death). That went on for months -- they kept denying, saying I'd waited too long -- but they kept "losing" the paperwork every time I'd send it in, and that's why it was "too long."

I was getting ready to file a grievances with whomever I could when my Mom called me and said I had gotten two letters from BoA.

The first one she opened and read to me was yet another denial for the same BS reason.

The second one was reimbursement of the entire amount that I had paid.

I cashed the check and never looked back, but have always taken great pains to tell people to avoid BoA at all costs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »
Well,  I'm with BoA  as my credit card  is with them .  It wasn't originally,  but  the account got sold to them years ago.   I don't like what they're doing now at all.

My problem is karma.  I'd leave,  but then whatever bank I wound up with would just go over to the dark side too,  and I'd be back at square one.  :'(  [tinfoil]   :mad: 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »

I hate B of A. It's the bank I started with, because when my parents came to America, they wanted to be Americans so "Bank of America"

That is funny, because B of A started out as Bank of Italy.  The gestapo bit has always been part of their heritage.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
That is funny, because B of A started out as Bank of Italy.  The gestapo bit has always been part of their heritage.

Interesting. I did not know that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »

That's why you find yourself a credit union.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 01:35:34 PM »
So is this kind of like the FBI having a general warrant?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 11:02:13 PM »
Here's what that profile was: "1. Customers confirmed as transacting, either through bank account debit card or credit card purchases in Washington, D.C. between 1/5 and 1/6. 2. Purchases made for Hotel/Airbnb RSVPs in DC, VA, and MD after 1/6. 3. Any purchase of weapons or at a weapons-related merchant between 1/7 and their upcoming suspected stay in D.C. area around Inauguration Day. 4. Airline related purchases since 1/6 , people who refer to BAC as 'Bank Of Gestapo' and whose 93 year old father has an account with us."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 01:31:59 AM »
Can we get some none Fox confirmation on this? My wife is saying it can't happen like this.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 08:28:04 AM »
Can we get some none Fox confirmation on this? My wife is saying it can't happen like this.

It sure as *expletive deleted*it can. It has in the past, and it's going to continue into the future.

FBI can request the information. If BoA doesn't want to give it up, then FBI can attempt to get warrants/subpoenas.

But, BoA, if they decide to cooperate out of the goodness of their hearts, can provide whatever of their corporate data it wants to FBI. Think your financial transactions are protected?

Think again.

Protections are spotty, at best, and in something like what FBI appears to have requested -- locational data of transactions made -- from what I can tell that's not protected at all, especially if it's considered suspicious activities or potentially part of a criminal act.

This deals strictly with subpoenas, it says nothing about banks willingly releasing the information.

https://www.jimersonfirm.com/blog/2014/06/banks-need-know-responding-subpoenas-financial-records/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »

From a link in the OP URL:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/3403

(c)Notification to Government authority of existence of relevant information in records
Nothing in this chapter shall preclude any financial institution, or any officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, from notifying a Government authority that such institution, or officer, employee, or agent has information which may be relevant to a possible violation of any statute or regulation. Such information may include only the name or other identifying information concerning any individual, corporation, or account involved in and the nature of any suspected illegal activity. Such information may be disclosed notwithstanding any constitution, law, or regulation of any State or political subdivision thereof to the contrary. Any financial institution, or officer, employee, or agent thereof, making a disclosure of information pursuant to this subsection, shall not be liable to the customer under any law or regulation of the United States or any constitution, law, or regulation of any State or political subdivision thereof, for such disclosure or for any failure to notify the customer of such disclosure.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 11:38:19 PM »
All you need to do is look at the initials of their name and you realize how dangerous they can be - "B.O.A." (as in "constrictor").
Any business that names itself after a dangerous snake is one that you would do well to avoid !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 06:53:25 AM »
If we didn’t live in Clownworld, the FBI would be investigating BoA, instead of its customers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama