Author Topic: And the first batter has stepped up to the plate...  (Read 1220 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
And the first batter has stepped up to the plate...
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:48 AM »
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/127?s=1&r=17

Bill introduced in the House.  Website doesn't have text available yet, but the title says a lot.  Bill for the registration of firearms and ammunition, and prohibition of certain ammunition.

Now, this one likely is not going far.  Single sponsor, a Dem from Texas.  But the game is on.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: And the first batter has stepped up to the plate...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »
Sheila Jackson Lee. Of course.

On the tangent, and this is something I need to educate myself on, but does anyone know how much leeway individual states have in telling them to get bent for certain of this legislation if/after it passes?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:00:30 AM »
President-elect Joe Biden on Friday promised to “defeat the NRA,” or the National Rifle Association, after being sworn into office.

“Your perseverance and immeasurable courage continue to inspire me and millions of others. I pledge to continue to work with you—and with survivors, families, and advocates across the country—to defeat the NRA and end our epidemic of gun violence.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/biden-says-he-will-defeat-the-nra-while-in-office_3650623.html

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:19:36 AM »
President-elect Joe Biden on Friday promised to “defeat the NRA,” or the National Rifle Association, after being sworn into office.

“Your perseverance and immeasurable courage continue to inspire me and millions of others. I pledge to continue to work with you—and with survivors, families, and advocates across the country—to defeat the NRA and end our epidemic of gun violence.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/biden-says-he-will-defeat-the-nra-while-in-office_3650623.html

The NRA died a while back

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »
First, SJL introduces the same *expletive deleted*it every year. Second, the NRA is doing a handy job defeating itself and we don't care.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:30:53 AM »
How quickly they forget that most of the country isn't Dem-controlled large metro areas. They're also stupifyingly blind to who and how any such regulation would be enforced. Kinda hard to gen up support among the enforcers when a big chunk of  them are also the targets.

Too bad the NRA is eating it's own right now. Unless Wayne and a few key senior execs get tossed out, it'll likely implode.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »
One thing I'm kinda worried about is suppressors. They seem like an easy target that will also get "sacrificial" votes from some Rs.

I have a can in jail right now. My first two got out in 7 months. If I get that lucky again, this one will be out in March. Were any ban legislation to pass, I'm kinda guessing guys with cans in jail will be as SOL as anyone who hasn't gotten one yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
^^^Would you get your money back, do you think?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
^^^Would you get your money back, do you think?

That's what I was wondering. At that point, I guess it would be up to the individual gun store. I mean,  I bought the product and it's not their fault it became illegal. I don't know what gun stores would do with all the cans they were holding for ATF clearance. I would hope the gov would refund my $200, but you never know there either anymore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
One thing I'm kinda worried about is suppressors. They seem like an easy target that will also get "sacrificial" votes from some Rs.

I have a can in jail right now. My first two got out in 7 months. If I get that lucky again, this one will be out in March. Were any ban legislation to pass, I'm kinda guessing guys with cans in jail will be as SOL as anyone who hasn't gotten one yet.

I gotta actually pretend to be a machinist to make a proper barrel if I don't have a blank or a throwaway to re-purpose. Supressors are about the easiest thing to make if we decide that all rules are called off.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: And the first batter has stepped up to the plate... HR 127
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
Bringing this back from the dead, because I'm feeling a bit more concerned about this.  Not only is it not dead yet, but it seems to be getting some traction.  My social media has all of the gun types (Colion Noir, Military Arms Cha nel, etc) suddenly all paying attention to it.  The Dems at work are explaining how this would be a good thing, and an $800 per gun registration fee is not Unconstitutional.

This thing have a chance?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: And the first batter has stepped up to the plate... HR 127
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »
Bringing this back from the dead, because I'm feeling a bit more concerned about this.  Not only is it not dead yet, but it seems to be getting some traction.  My social media has all of the gun types (Colion Noir, Military Arms Cha nel, etc) suddenly all paying attention to it.  The Dems at work are explaining how this would be a good thing, and an $800 per gun registration fee is not Unconstitutional.

I'll agree to a $800 fee per gun when they agree to a $800 fee per vote.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »

The Dems have to pack the SCOTUS before they try to pass this bill.  Too much of a chance, I'm guessing more than 60%, that it would be struck down by the current court.  And they will pack the court at some point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
The Dems have to pack the SCOTUS before they try to pass this bill.  Too much of a chance, I'm guessing more than 60%, that it would be struck down by the current court.  And they will pack the court at some point.

It might go to a packed court. SCOTUS has been kind of terrible about accepting 2nd Amendment stuff. By the time something like this would even get to the point of being a SCOTUS case, they could easily have had enough time to add five or so libs to the court, and I bet they would then take the case in a heartbeat, since the majority would have already predetermined their verdict.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 07:19:25 PM »
I think it is very likely this is the Bad Cop bill.  I figure there will be other bills put in with lesser gun controls to act as the Good Cop and get more votes from R's or nervous Dems.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge