Author Topic: Resident Alien on SyFy  (Read 7841 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Resident Alien on SyFy
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2022, 09:29:08 AM »
Good points in the video. Tolkien himself described elves as a "tall, fair race". With "fair" being the definition at his time of "fair-skinned". Also all dwarves, including females, are bearded. But then you might not see that the dwarf was black.

They're a race that lives underground. Why would any of them be black?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 09:45:04 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »
Since we're talking about other series, Space Force sucks too. I had somewhat high hopes, but it's a long way for Steve Carroll from The Office (from which like 50% of the episodes would not make it on the air today). Last season was barely tolerable with the multicultural shtick, but the first couple episodes of this season are just stupid. Plus we now have "Xyler", the super smart, too cool for the room, gender indeterminate scientist. Gimme a break.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2022, 06:28:13 PM »
So here's something funny: Just for kicks I typed "resident alien woke" into the googlez to see what would come up and if more people were complaining about this season. There were a bunch of Reddit threads on it. Every single one of them was locked and censored. Not allowed to talk about "woke" there.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2022, 08:23:13 AM »
They're a race that lives underground. Why would any of them be black?

Coal dust?

My Grandfather was a railroader. He was in the Altoona yards one day and got run over by a box car. Dragged along the tracks, beaten up pretty badly, but nothing permanent.

When he woke up they had him in the colored ward of the local hospital because he had been so thoroughly dragged along the track bed in all of the coal dust they assumed he was black.

He wasn't particularly pleased. :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2022, 12:43:17 PM »
Just so you all know, you're all a bunch of Racist McRacyface Racers!

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/lord-of-the-rings-debunking-the-backlash-against-non-white-actors-in-amazon-s-new-adaption?utm_source=pocket-newtab

That is absolutely the most *expletive deleted*ing tortured, woke, bullshit piece of fecal matter I have ever read.

And I've read several Clive Cussler books.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2022, 02:45:51 PM »
Just so you all know, you're all a bunch of Racist McRacyface Racers!

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/lord-of-the-rings-debunking-the-backlash-against-non-white-actors-in-amazon-s-new-adaption?utm_source=pocket-newtab

That is absolutely the most *expletive deleted*ing tortured, woke, bullshit piece of fecal matter I have ever read.

And I've read several Clive Cussler books.

I just look at if Hamilton and all of his cronies can be black then anything can be black, even Robert C. Byrd (D) WV if they ever do a biopic of him. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2022, 07:44:12 AM »
So, this weekend I basically binged the first 7 or so episodes of Resident Alien.

It's... uhm... yeah.

I'm still enjoying it, and I actually see the logic of some of the story line (Harry's becoming more human so he's learning about being more human, often the hard way) but yeah, the woke touchy feely stuff is a bit out of hand. And EVERYONE is getting in touch with their vaginal sides, it looks like -- the sheriff, the mayor, Asta...

Yeah, just a little heavy handed, really.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
By the second episode of the first season, Resident Alien had been renewed for a second season.  Still no word on a third season now that we're seven episodes into the second season.  That speaks volumes about the ratings in my opinion.  Another "Go woke, go broke" show from Hollywood.

ETA:  Rotten Tomatoes showing a 51% rating.  Big drop from the season one at 90% "all audience" score.  Not good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2022, 03:49:03 PM »
I stopped after the 2nd episode season 2.  No reason to continue.  It sucked.   Last year it was one of my favorites.  :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »
Yeah, it definitely has come down, but I'm still, for the most part, enjoying it, so I'm going to stick it out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2022, 09:26:08 AM »
Second half of the second season starts August 10.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2022, 10:42:17 AM »
Second half of the second season starts August 10.

I'll be curious to see the direction. I'm not sure if all episodes were in the can and they're just releasing the last half later, or if they were still writing the final episodes for the season. The last episode of the first half was not quite as bad as the early season disaster episodes. Maybe they learned their lesson. Though I doubt it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2022, 10:52:30 AM »
Yeah, the first half of the second season was sure not what I expected.

I'm not as against it as you apparently are, but it was preachy, judgy, and wokey.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:35 AM »
Yeah, the first half of the second season was sure not what I expected.

I'm not as against it as you apparently are, but it was preachy, judgy, and wokey.

Yeah, that "girl power" episode (#3) got me so agitated that I'm probably overly-harshly judging the others.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2022, 11:02:56 AM »
I thought that one was an absolute hoot, actually.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2022, 02:39:24 PM »
So it's back for the second half of the season. Whether they listened to everyone who has had it with the woke crap, or whether this is just a one off episode for the season, all I can say is, "Welcome back Resident Alien!"

This episode went back to what made it great in season 1. There was literally ZERO woke content, Harry had tons of screen time again, and I was literally laughing out loud through the entire episode. Even characters who were annoying to me back in season 1 were making me laugh in this episode.

I really hope that this is a new (old) direction for the show.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2022, 04:47:08 PM »
OK, that's really good to hear. I recorded the episode and am going to watch it this evening while I eat dinner.

And I know all the woke crap pissed people off... It aggravated me a little bit, as well, but apparently not as much as you.

And I still think the Girl Power episode was an absolute hoot. That one had me laughing out loud, especially where Skank pisses in the potted plant in the town hall.

I've actually seen that happen in college, so yeah, that made me laugh out loud.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »
In the latest (Aug 10) episode I thought Asta overdid it with the guilt trip over killing a bad guy, and I laughed out loud (I don't do that too often) at the utterly practical, matter-of-fact way D'Arcy used some of her local knowledge (like the lack of cameras at a local seedy hotel) to deal with the body.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2022, 06:22:31 PM »
In the latest (Aug 10) episode I thought Asta overdid it with the guilt trip over killing a bad guy,

Yeah, that was the one sort of "lefty my feelingz" thing in the episode. I'll take that all day long though if they keep things going like this. I don't mind a little lefty woke being thrown in, just like I would hope lefties wouldn't mind a little 'Merica thrown in. They just need to stop turning either the left or right faucet on full blast. An episode like this last one seems like it should be enjoyable by all political viewpoints, since it was pretty apolitical.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2022, 06:30:32 PM »
In the latest (Aug 10) episode I thought Asta overdid it with the guilt trip over killing a bad guy, and I laughed out loud (I don't do that too often) at the utterly practical, matter-of-fact way D'Arcy used some of her local knowledge (like the lack of cameras at a local seedy hotel) to deal with the body.

I watched season 1 but none of season 2 yet. Who is Darcy?  Is that the deputy who's smart than the sheriff but gets no respect?  Or the doctor's assistant; I think she's Indian or half Indian?  Or the bar owner?

I'm in Texas again dealing with family medical stuff.  Can't watch it here, will have to wait until I get back to MN and have access to syfy, unless it's also on Peacock and I can watch it on the Internet.  (I've now actually been in Texas more than in Minnesota this year, and all of it unpleasant.)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
I watched season 1 but none of season 2 yet. Who is Darcy?  Is that the deputy who's smart than the sheriff but gets no respect?  Or the doctor's assistant; I think she's Indian or half Indian?  Or the bar owner?

I'm in Texas again dealing with family medical stuff.  Can't watch it here, will have to wait until I get back to MN and have access to syfy, unless it's also on Peacock and I can watch it on the Internet.  (I've now actually been in Texas more than in Minnesota this year, and all of it unpleasant.)
D'arcy is the bar owner.  Asta is the doctor's assistant who knows he's an alien. And I'm in TX and can watch it here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »

I hope the unpleasantness is only due to the weather here.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2022, 08:08:50 PM »
Yeah, that was the one sort of "lefty my feelingz" thing in the episode. I'll take that all day long though if they keep things going like this. I don't mind a little lefty woke being thrown in, just like I would hope lefties wouldn't mind a little 'Merica thrown in. They just need to stop turning either the left or right faucet on full blast. An episode like this last one seems like it should be enjoyable by all political viewpoints, since it was pretty apolitical.

Yeah, that's not lefty being tossed in for *expletive deleted*ck's sake. That's a human reaction many have to taking another human's life.

I think that was a quite realistic piece of writing, and I also think it tracks quite well with Asta's entire story line.

She comes across as quite tough but in reality is quite sensitive.

I've known a lot of nurses who exude a hard-bitten outer shell but are far from that inside. My Mother was an OR nurse and had a very hard outer shell, but she could be extremely sensitive. The surest way to get Mom to open up? Dogs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:56 PM »
OK, that said, I'm not sure why, but that episode didn't hit the mark for me.

I didn't find it to be particularly funny (there were a few good moments, like Skank stripping down in the hot tub where the body was found), but overall? Meh.