Author Topic: No Intel Briefings For Trump  (Read 773 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No Intel Briefings For Trump
« on: February 07, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »
Biden is looking at preventing Trump from getting intel briefings, which, according to the article, appears to be a somewhat standard courtesy to previous presidents. The article didn't mention if other former presidents have ever been blocked from briefings.

In one way, I argue that if you're a "former" something in gov, you probably don't need to know. Or at least you should only be consulted on specific issues vs having broad intel briefings just because. On the other hand, if it has been a common practice, then it's another "but Trump" situation. I wonder if the Trump admin briefed Obama?

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-politics-jen-psaki-44b9f2c7204e482b55a2d03077a4c5bf
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: No Intel Briefings For Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:00:35 AM »
One of the things the Trump experience has shown is that there are many intelligence agencies in government(s) and in the private sector who are all in the game.

I suspect Trump will still be getting briefings, not just official US government briefings.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »
There's a lot of "Orange Man Bad" and scary Russia musings in that article, but they hide this gem:

I just think that there is no need for him to have the intelligence briefings,” Biden said. “What value is giving him an intelligence briefing? What impact does he have at all, other than the fact he might slip and say something?

I agree with Mr. Biden.  What is the value added to the country by giving wide scope briefs to a former president.  Just because it was done in the past isn't a good reason to keep doing something.  If there is a specific issue they think Mr. Trumps input would be useful on, then I can see reading him in on that situation, but widescale daily briefs? No.  Or at least not until there's a Need To Know shown.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:31:06 AM »
There's a lot of "Orange Man Bad" and scary Russia musings in that article, but they hide this gem:

I agree with Mr. Biden.  What is the value added to the country by giving wide scope briefs to a former president.  Just because it was done in the past isn't a good reason to keep doing something.  If there is a specific issue they think Mr. Trumps input would be useful on, then I can see reading him in on that situation, but widescale daily briefs? No.  Or at least not until there's a Need To Know shown.

Of course, the right should surrender on principle and with dignity.

Not sure if you noticed but our government is a knife fight among factions.

Pretending the government represents us or is even united is naïve.

If they aren't stopping briefings for all the former presidents and spooks (like Brennon) then Trump should sit in on the briefings.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
I am unwilling to be in a psychological knife fight on every issue.  I am also not a Republican and owe them nothing.  If Biden is right on something, I can and will admit it.

You are free to attack on every little issue, even when wrong, and let me know how that works out for you, and your psychological health.

Besides, if it's as unreal and removed from the people as you claim, it matters not a whit to the government how the little folks feel, so there's no point in running myself into the ground about it.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:56:18 AM »
I am unwilling to be in a psychological knife fight on every issue.  I am also not a Republican and owe them nothing.  If Biden is right on something, I can and will admit it.

You are free to attack on every little issue, even when wrong, and let me know how that works out for you, and your psychological health.

Besides, if it's as unreal and removed from the people as you claim, it matters not a whit to the government how the little folks feel, so there's no point in running myself into the ground about it.

There is truth and wisdom in your last paragraph. Point taken.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
Politics on the who aside, giving intel briefings to a former president just because they are a former president makes no sense to me at all.

It's one thing to be read in on a situation and be brought up to speed should the current administration want a former presidents opinion. Heck, maybe even on an ongoing issue and how it's shaken out as a courtesy. But I fail to see the purpose of regularly briefing former presidents for the sake of briefing them.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
The right refuses to insist and make the left live up to their own standards.

If the left are running all their folks in to get intel briefings long after they leave office then the right should be there also.

The so called right continually leaves the field of battle and refuses to stand their ground.

If we are going to pull the plug then pull the plug on the whole lot. Don't justify the left ruling with an iron fist, over and over. Equality under the law.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
I find it ironic that Biden worries about Trump being able to keep his mouth shut about sensitive matters.  Biden himself is arguably responsible for the deaths of a number of specops people because he couldn't keep his mouth closed about who was involved in taking down Bin Laden.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »

I agree.  Don't hang your emotional and psychological well-being on situations that are out of your control.