Author Topic: Air Compressor Hose Reel?  (Read 409 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Air Compressor Hose Reel?
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
Is anyone using an air compressor hose reel that they like? I'm rearranging a corner of the shop where my big compressor will sit and figured it's about time to clean up the hose on the floor mess. The reel will need to be mounted in a concrete block wall. I'll probably just keep 50' of hose on it and just couple on more hose if I need more.

Speaking of hose, I have always just used rubber. Any big benefits (or cons) on the hybrid hoses?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Air Compressor Hose Reel?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »
We use Flexzilla hoses at work. Lightweight and pretty durable and they don’t have the kinking issues rubber ones do. I also have a  Flexzilla whip on my mini 3/8 impact that has a built in ball swivel to connect to the tool it gets into really tight places. I can’t comment on reels though we are still in the Stone Age in that regard and we have to hand coil ours on a hook.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
We use Flexzilla hoses at work. Lightweight and pretty durable and they don’t have the kinking issues rubber ones do. I also have a  Flexzilla whip on my mini 3/8 impact that has a built in ball swivel to connect to the tool it gets into really tight places. I can’t comment on reels though we are still in the Stone Age in that regard and we have to hand coil ours on a hook.

Flexzilla is exactly the hose I was looking at.

You also bring up another thought: Am I just as well off sticking a hook on the wall versus a reel that might mechanically fail at some point? I end up using the big compressor maybe just once per week on average, though there are times I use it multiple days in a row.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »
I've thought about getting a reel but never manage to get around to it. I just coil up the hose and hang it on the wall, if I don't just leave it strung out across the floor of my shop till I need to use it somewhere else or move it for access.
I've got a 50' length of hose that I "surplussed" off my last boat, it had a damaged connector on one end and it was headed for the dumpster. It has lasted me more than 30 years now.
I'll have to look into the Flexzilla hose, eventually I'll have to replace it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »
Flexzilla is nice hose, and lasts well.

On the reel, for a non-professional user, this is one of those "get thee to Harbor Freight" situations.

I have had the previous version of this reel tapconed to a cinderblock wall for about 15 years.  It has actually switched garages.  It started plugged into my Campbell Hausfield portable and is currently plugged into my twin parallel compressor setup.  I figured when I bought it when the hose gave out I would keep the reel and swap out for a nicer hose, but that Chinese hose is still going strong.  The swivel function is really nice when I drag the hose end out the garage door and around the corner of the house.

Have modded two mustangs, did a frame on rebuild of an F150, all my car and boat maintenance and put on two roofs with it.

The professional grade reels are tougher, and heavier.  We have 6 in the shop that hold 100' of hose and were like $600 from Grainger, but they have all needed to be worked on (one needed a new pawl fabricated) and don't work any better than the HF reels.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
My garage had a garden hose reel on the wall when I bought the place. I just use that. I'm assuming the previous owner did the same.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536