Author Topic: Paying Murderers Not to Kill You  (Read 1092 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Paying Murderers Not to Kill You
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »
The fact that people suggest this makes me angry. The fact that it apparently works makes me even angrier.

Richmond, Calif., previously tested the controversial strategy of paying people not to commit crimes in order to combat gun violence that plagued the community

It resulted in the city seeing its lowest murder rate in more than 30 years, the station reported. Richmond also saw a 66% reduction in firearm assaults causing injury or death between 2010 and 2017, according to advancepeace.org.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore-activist-suggests-paying-killers-not-to-kill-to-solve-citys-high-murder-rate
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Paying Murderers Not to Kill You
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »
I've never killed anyone at all - am I eligible for back pay?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
First, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that most of their crimes are committed by a fairly small number of people and they know who most of them are.  That said, if you subsidize something, you get more of it.  I don't expect this sort of policy to work very long.  If they would throw the book at the criminals and prosecute them aggressively, that also might keep them out of circulation. 

Second, there is very little hard information in the article.  I have to wonder if they are cherry picking their statistics to make this look good and the media isn't digging very far. 

IMO, there are no short cuts around human nature. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »
???

Paying the mob not to murder you (or burn down your store) is not exactly a novel concept.  The only new part of this is the criminals are gig workers, and they want to use taxes to do it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 10:03:48 AM »
Voluntary extortion, started by the victims.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »

Crowdsourcing the funding for your extortion.  Not actually a bad idea if you can pull it off.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »

That sums it up perfectly.  Maybe they can also develop a government program to pay ransoms to kidnappers.  That would certainly eliminate kidnappings entirely.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:32:38 AM »

Yes, well said.

Men without chests.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »
Rope is far cheaper
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »
First, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that most of their crimes are committed by a fairly small number of people and they know who most of them are.  That said, if you subsidize something, you get more of it.  I don't expect this sort of policy to work very long.  If they would throw the book at the criminals and prosecute them aggressively, that also might keep them out of circulation. 

Second, there is very little hard information in the article.  I have to wonder if they are cherry picking their statistics to make this look good and the media isn't digging very far. 

IMO, there are no short cuts around human nature.

(Bolding mine --230RN)

Hooooo-ly crap, ya think? That's impossible with modern fact-checking entities like Snopes, isn't it?

That sums it up perfectly.  Maybe they can also develop a government program to pay ransoms to kidnappers.  That would certainly eliminate kidnappings entirely.

Excellent way of pointing out the fallacy, by you, and touched on by MechAg94.

The "back pay" remark was pretty funny, too.

Makes me think of offering to move there and not commit any crimes for only $10,000 per month, except I know some folks who would outbid me.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:21:39 PM by 230RN »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 05:10:13 PM »
Our nation's first foreign war came about because some criminals wanted us to pay them protection.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 06:38:42 PM »
First, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that most of their crimes are committed by a fairly small number of people and they know who most of them are. 

This sort of program has been discussed here before, at least a few years ago, and I  seem to recall that was a big part of the reasoning behind it.

I also find that skepticism about this sort of solution is tremendously difficult for me to overcome. I can't help but think this is a solution that "works" for a culture too timid or too delicate to simply apply justice (executions, hard labor, etc) to those who commit serious crimes against fellow citizens.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 06:52:02 PM »
Paying Murderers Not to Kill You

How much does it cost to get a murderer to kill me? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »

Well, I know a guy that knows a guy....just sayin'.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »

Depends, have anything on Hillary?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

castle key

• friend
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »
Our nation's first foreign war came about because some criminals wanted us to pay them protection.

History forgotten by most.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »

This sort of program has been discussed here before, at least a few years ago, and I  seem to recall that was a big part of the reasoning behind it.

I also find that skepticism about this sort of solution is tremendously difficult for me to overcome. I can't help but think this is a solution that "works" for a culture too timid or too delicate to simply apply justice (executions, hard labor, etc) to those who commit serious crimes against fellow citizens.
IMO, we don't even need to look at executions or hard labor.  Just give them the prescribed prison sentences instead of slapping them on the wrist.  Prosecute them instead of doing plea deals.  Give the maximum sentence for repeat offenders.  Don't turn them loose on low bail amounts (or no bail) immediately after they are caught.  This applies to murder charges all the way down to petty theft.  Could it be a budget issue?  Maybe so.  That is an area it would be worth more investment. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge