Author Topic: Aftermarket Tail Light Covers?  (Read 645 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Aftermarket Tail Light Covers?
« on: February 10, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
I somehow got a nickel sized hole in my right rear tail light cover on my 2016 F150. The aftermarket covers eem to be nearly half the price of the OEM one. I'm looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Garage-Pro-Light-F-150-Assembly-Halogen/dp/B07DG288BZ/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=f150+tail+light+covers&qid=1612982119&sr=8-22

Anyone ever replace theirs (on any vehicle) with an aftermarket? Do they give a good fit and match the original? My main concern is a good seal for water tightness. If it's iffy, I'll just bite the bullet at the dealership parts counter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Aftermarket Tail Light Covers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
Anyone ever replace theirs (on any vehicle) with an aftermarket? Do they give a good fit and match the original?

In my experience, no.

Do you have a Wrench-A-Part or DIY salvage yard nearby? If not, Car-part.com is your friend.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:41:09 PM »
If they claim to be "certified aftermarket" means that the fit and finish should be pretty close to original.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
Have done several of the headlamp covers from Amazon with zero problems.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 08:38:52 PM »
In contrast to Jim, I have done several Amazon headlights and brake lights on my previous two F150's and have been dissatisfied with all of them.  They leak, don't fit quite right, fade/yellow quickly,  or all of the above.

Here's a genuine OEM one for less than that Chinese knock off.
https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-tail-lamp-fl3z13404a?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9dGFpbC1sYW1wcyZsPTEmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1mb3JkJm89Zi0xNTAmeT0yMDE2JnQ9eGx0JmU9Mi03bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

I bought some trim pieces through that website for my new truck last month, and while I did spend a few bucks on shipping,  they were OEM, and fit perfectly.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »
Oh, wow! Thanks for that link, Dogmush. I'll get that OEM one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 09:36:25 PM »
I had to get one for my F150 several years ago when it was pretty new.  The dealership wanted $150 I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
I have factory ones with holes drilled in the bottom because they leak. I'm sure most of them are made in the same Chinese factory.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
I have a 2002 F150 and have replaced both of my rear light assemblies with aftermarket and they fit and work well.  They are one piece plug and play basically.  Pop off the old one, switch over the light bulbs and put the replacement in position.  Not halogen just plain old light bulbs.  I love my old truck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
Well shoot, I've just had the mythical experience of the Ford dealer being cheaper than online for a part. I was going to order off Dogmush's link this morning, but when I got to the payment info, they wanted like $35 shipping for a $63 part. Just for kicks I called the closest Ford dealer, who's in Oregon (so no sales tax), and they had it for $80.03. Twenty ducats cheaper than online after you add shipping.

I have to wait a couple of weeks for it (the guy said a ton of Ford parts are on backorder), but the tape is holding things fine so far.  :laugh: