Author Topic: Main dish or side course?  (Read 968 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Main dish or side course?
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:23:42 PM »
Let me know what you think of this dish.

Calico Beans
1 lb. Bacon  1 lb. Ground Beef  2 Tbs. Vinegar  1 large onion, chopped  ¾ cup brown sugar  1 tsp. dry mustard (or ¼ cup regular mustard)
1 can Pork & Beans (do NOT drain)   1 can EA. (drain ALL) Light & Dark Red Kidney beans (one can each), Black beans, Pinto beans, & Lima beans
¼ cup Ketchup        1 can tomato paste       Cumin, chili powder, & pepper to taste

Cook bacon until crisp, then use grease to sauté onion until almost translucent.  Drain off all fat.  Crumble bacon when cooled.  Brown ground beef and drain as well. 
Put all the other ingredients in a crockpot, mix, then add the meat and onion and mix again.  Start on High until very warm, stirring occasionally, then turn to Low and heat for at least 1 hour.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Main dish or side course?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:47:25 PM »
We have made this many times over the years and live it. We don't use cumin or chili powder, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
One of my coworkers used to make that for pot lucks. VERY popular, very good.

It could very well be either a main or a side. I've not made it in some time, but I'm always inclined to pair it with meatloaf or sausage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:52:32 AM »
We have also been known to substitute BBQ sauce for the ketchup.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 04:48:50 PM »
Hhmm - I'll have to remember that about the BBQ sauce and try it sometime.  It may be that the combination of the brown sugar, ketchup, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, and chili powder serves much the same function as the BBQ sauce.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »
Sounds a lot like chili with substitutions.  I vote main dish.  Sounds hearty.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?