Author Topic: SECDEF and "Extremism"  (Read 1129 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
SECDEF and "Extremism"
« on: February 07, 2021, 08:29:01 AM »
SECDEF is prioritizing going after "extremism" in the military. While using a generic term, he seems to be concerned with only one kind of extremism. I can only look at it from 30,000 feet, so I might well be wrong, but besides the bias in his order, it seems the military is once again going to start focusing more on social issues than stuff like making sure planes can fly and ships can sail.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/secretary-of-defense-issues-stand-down-order-to-address-extremism-in-the-military
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: SECDEF and "Extremism"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »
Where have we seen this before? Purges are real popular with dictators.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
Where have we seen this before? Purges are real popular with dictators.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
The oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, will be the next thing to go.  It is, after all, so outdated.  It will likely morph into defending the federal government.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »
During my time in the Navy we did Racial Awareness Training (70s) and the Women  in the Navy (WIN) in the 80s. I am not really sure they did anything to help the issues they were supposed to help. I expect the same thing this time, resentment at being preached to, pissed you are sitting in a theater all day and in the end nothing changes except you get behind on maintenance or other jobs.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »
The oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, will be the next thing to go.  It is, after all, so outdated.  It will likely morph into defending the federal government.
Loyalty oath to POTUS personally . . . when he/she is a democrat.

Seriously, can the command structure require people in the military to disclose who they vote for, either for a security clearance or just on general principles?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:24:42 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »
Seriously, can the command structure require people in the military to disclose who they vote for, either for a security clearance or just on general principles?

No.

Or rather, almost certainly not. I don't think any Command has been stupid enough to push that far enough for a court ruling on it. But as long as you keep your vote to yourself the military never asks.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 08:52:39 PM »
Probably not hard to figure out with many. In a full blown Soviet style purge mere suspicion is usually enough for a trip to a gulag or worse
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 09:31:04 AM »
Seems to me Obama changed the military's oath to be loyalty to the president.  Or did he just try that and failed?

I recall some kind of discussion of that a couple of years ago.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »
Seems to me Obama changed the military's oath to be loyalty to the president.  Or did he just try that and failed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces_oath_of_enlistment

https://militarybenefits.info/oath-of-enlistment/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »

I don't even remember him trying, and that kind of thing would stick in my memory.

FYI for those that are interested, the Oath for Officers is a little different then what Hawkmoon linked.  Officers don't have that "follow orders of the President......" bit in there.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:53 PM »
We just got an email today from SECDEF via .gov email system talking about a down day to do ya da ya da

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
I don't even remember him trying, and that kind of thing would stick in my memory.

FYI for those that are interested, the Oath for Officers is a little different then what Hawkmoon linked.  Officers don't have that "follow orders of the President......" bit in there.

I was not an officer. I still see the obey orders of the president and officers appointed over me as subordinate to the Constitution. Anyone in the military with an IQ over a potato knows there are orders that won't be getting obeyed. Good luck with your retention goals.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.