Author Topic: "ethnomathematics"  (Read 6639 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"ethnomathematics"
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:21 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently encouraged teachers to register for training that encourages "ethnomathematics" and argues, among other things, that White supremacy manifests itself in the focus on finding the right answer.
Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

I honestly cannot facepalm hard enough at the blatant stupidity.  Finding the right answer = white supremacy?

Our education system is doomed.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: "ethnomathematics"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:54:46 AM »
"Equitable math".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »
I honestly cannot facepalm hard enough at the blatant stupidity.  Finding the right answer = white supremacy?
I find the concept that only white people are interested in the "right answer" to be pretty blatantly white supremacist.

It reminds me of that video of the woke guy and the racist agreeing on everything.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
I find the concept that only white people are interested in the "right answer" to be pretty blatantly white supremacist.

It reminds me of that video of the woke guy and the racist agreeing on everything.

Yeah they're basically saying white people should be running everything since they're the only ones "focused" on finding the right answer.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of education people don't know math and can't teach it and they want excuses for failing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
Also part of the technocrat oppression.  If the masses are uneducated, it will be easier to keep them under control using technology they don't understand.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 10:57:07 AM »
Also part of the technocrat oppression.  If the masses are uneducated, it will be easier to keep them under control using technology they don't understand.

CM Kornbluth wrote a factual article, not a short story.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 10:57:41 AM »

On this episode of Stargate SG1...............
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »

If they can convince you everything you know is wrong, they can remold your mind to believe whatever alternative they give you. This has been going on for a while now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of education people don't know math and can't teach it and they want excuses for failing.

^^^ This.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 11:45:06 AM »
Whoops, deleted
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
This is one of the most racist ideas to come forth from the modern racist ideology.  I am continually amazed people fall for it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 11:56:16 AM »
2+2=4
2+2=4
2+2=4
2+2=4
2+2=4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
Aunt Sally is the next to ascend the scaffold right behind Aunt Jemima
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »
Unfortunately, some of them will end up designing bridges with SJW math.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Unfortunately, some of them will end up designing bridges with SJW math.

As long as they are all standing on it for the ribbon cutting I am okay with that.  [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 05:39:22 PM »
           2 +3(2) = ?

First time through I got sevyn, then I realized that what was writinged as a 3 was actually a 2, as indicated by the parentheses.

So the anser is 4.

Same as:

6 +4(5) = 11

Because the 4 reelly meant 5.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:56:57 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

Our education system is doomed.

Brought to you by the same folks who were promoting "Ebonics" a few years ago.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »
           2 +3(2) = ?

First time through I got sevyn, then I realized that what was writinged as a 3 was actually a 2, as indicated by the parentheses.

So the anser is 4.

Same as:

6 +4(5) = 11

Because the 4 reelly meant 5.

Obviously you're not a white supremist   :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »
If there's not a single correct answer, in other words, one guess is as good as another, why teach math at all?  That would save a lot of time (as if there's a way to measure time!!!) and everybody would feel equally  good about themselves, which apparently is the point.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »
If there's not a single correct answer, in other words, one guess is as good as another, why teach math at all?  That would save a lot of time (as if there's a way to measure time!!!) and everybody would feel equally  good about themselves, which apparently is the point.

More time to explain how Donald Trump invented slavery in 1619.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »

We should have seen this coming. It's been there, right in front of us, for years. Now that everyone has a calculator, or a cell phone that plays calculator upon request, and stores all have registers that calculate change, clerks (sorry -- "associates") don't have to figure out or count change any more. I'm not the only one here who has commented on the phenomenon. Suppose you're in  a store and your bill rings up as $19.06. You hand the cashier a twenty, a nickle, and a penny. The cashier than stands there for ten minutes, staring at the six cents and wondering why that stupid old man gave me coins when all he needs is change for a twenty.

Then they finally get around to punching $20.06 into the "Amount tendered" box, and the look on their faces when the change rings up to an even one dollar is priceless. It's like "Magic! How did he do that?"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:54 PM »
A corrupted education makes government dependants serfs.