Author Topic: "ethnomathematics"  (Read 6623 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: "ethnomathematics"
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 02:28:32 AM »
A corrupted education makes government dependants serfs.
It also lowers social mobility. I'm only using the examples I know of, which are in NYC and San Francisco: NYC has a number of elite public high schools, admission is bases on achievement and achievement alone. Of course Bill Diblasio wants to shut them down, because not enough black or hispanics kids are admitted, while Asians are overrepresented. Likewise, there WAS one in SF, which was essentially taken out behind the shed the other day, for the same reasons. So now, a lot of bright kids from working class and lower middle class homes who could have gotten a top tier high school education and then gotten a scholarship to Harvard, MIT, Stanford etc will have a much tougher time, and will not be a potential future threat to the upper middle class and above (who have the financial means to send their children to private schools or getting tutors) by getting above their station. Killing two birds with one stone - dumbing down the population and ensuring that the privileges of the ruling classes are maintained and are not threatened by the plebs.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 04:33:15 AM »
All as planned.  The Fix is in.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 01:14:07 PM »
Unfortunately, some of them will end up designing bridges with SJW math.
Maybe they already have.

https://www.kcci.com/article/uh-oh-construction-crews-must-redo-dollar23-million-project-after-big-mistake/22121540#

And then there's this:

I also remember reading about a mistake that happened at a bridge construction site when a blueprint dimension of 102" was read as 10'2"    :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »
That's just not right.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 01:44:22 PM »
That's just not right.

I think it would be a hoot to drive over though!  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
Maybe they already have.

https://www.kcci.com/article/uh-oh-construction-crews-must-redo-dollar23-million-project-after-big-mistake/22121540#

And then there's this:

I also remember reading about a mistake that happened at a bridge construction site when a blueprint dimension of 102" was read as 10'2"    :facepalm:

Short memories much?  Poisoning STEM with progressive politics is already killing people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

I honestly cannot facepalm hard enough at the blatant stupidity.  Finding the right answer = white supremacy?

Our education system is doomed.

More to the point, what's with putting "the 'right' answer" in quotes, as if there isn't really such a thing as a right answer in mathematics? It appears that some people are unclear on the concept of how math works. 2+2 can never equal 3 or 5, regardless of whether they put "right" in quotes or not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »
Short memories much?  Poisoning STEM with progressive politics is already killing people.

Funny you should mention that. The federal investigation just released says exactly that. Not only did the design engineers screw up -- a second firm that was supposed to peer review the design also missed it.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/02/02/feds-release-report-on-investigation-of-fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapse/

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »
Funny you should mention that. The federal investigation just released says exactly that. Not only did the design engineers screw up -- a second firm that was supposed to peer review the design also missed it.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/02/02/feds-release-report-on-investigation-of-fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapse/

They were so proud of their strong feminist engineer until it had to be memory holed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 10:30:04 PM »
They were so proud of their strong feminist engineer until it had to be memory holed.

I missed that part.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 12:26:31 AM »
I missed that part.

Maybe you can find it in an archive.  The firm responsible for the bridge made a show on their website about their wonderful diversity, until it killed six people, and then was promptly removed while pretending it never existed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 12:37:56 AM »
Maybe you can find it in an archive.  The firm responsible for the bridge made a show on their website about their wonderful diversity, until it killed six people, and then was promptly removed while pretending it never existed.

Ah.

You [sort of] have the generalities right, but the details wrong. MCM, the company that built the bridge, is (or was) owned by a woman. The bridge was designed by Figg Bridge Engineering, an engineering firm that was a subcontractor to MCM. The engineer who designed the bridge was a male.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2021, 12:42:56 AM »
The engineer who designed the bridge was a male.
(italics mine)

And what is the engineer now?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 12:58:35 AM »
Ah.

You [sort of] have the generalities right, but the details wrong. MCM, the company that built the bridge, is (or was) owned by a woman. The bridge was designed by Figg Bridge Engineering, an engineering firm that was a subcontractor to MCM. The engineer who designed the bridge was a male.

Considering I watched it happen live I'm going to need some citations.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 02:42:25 AM »
(italics mine)

And what is the engineer now?

Probably unemployed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2021, 02:51:29 AM »
Considering I watched it happen live I'm going to need some citations.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/engineers-failed-recognize-danger-fiu-bridge-inspection-hours/story?id=63657158

The engineer on [of] record, with the Figg Engineering Group, should have "immediately" instructed that the bridge be shored and that the street below, SW 8th Street, be closed, the report states.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/22/design-error-blamed-florida-international-university-pedestrian-bridge-collapse/2449316001/

A peer review that failed to detect the calculation errors by designer FIGG Bridge Engineers – and an engineer's failure to recognize the importance of cracking before the collapse – contributed to the tragedy, the board said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_International_University_pedestrian_bridge_collapse

An examination carried out by the Federal Highway Administration discovered faults in the design of the bridge, which overestimated the strength of the bridge in the region that failed and underestimated the load it would be expected to carry.[5] The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) issued a "News Release"[6] which said, "load and capacity calculation errors made by FIGG Bridge Engineers, Inc., are the probable cause of the fatal ... bridge collapse in Miami ...". The same day the NTSB released a "synopsis"[note 1] of its final report, which stated ...

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/osha-places-blame-for-fiu-bridge-collapse-on-engineer-contractors/556798/

Figg employee Denney Pate was the engineer of record for the project, and Figg designed the bridge.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2021, 06:01:38 AM »
More to the point, what's with putting "the 'right' answer" in quotes, as if there isn't really such a thing as a right answer in mathematics? It appears that some people are unclear on the concept of how math works. 2+2 can never equal 3 or 5, regardless of whether they put "right" in quotes or not.

Math is a foundation stone of logical thinking and thus critical thought.  From their point of view it must be eliminated from the proles.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:03:35 AM by kgbsquirrel »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2021, 10:39:44 AM »
It also lowers social mobility. I'm only using the examples I know of, which are in NYC and San Francisco: NYC has a number of elite public high schools, admission is bases on achievement and achievement alone. Of course Bill Diblasio wants to shut them down, because not enough black or hispanics kids are admitted, while Asians are overrepresented. Likewise, there WAS one in SF, which was essentially taken out behind the shed the other day, for the same reasons. So now, a lot of bright kids from working class and lower middle class homes who could have gotten a top tier high school education and then gotten a scholarship to Harvard, MIT, Stanford etc will have a much tougher time, and will not be a potential future threat to the upper middle class and above (who have the financial means to send their children to private schools or getting tutors) by getting above their station. Killing two birds with one stone - dumbing down the population and ensuring that the privileges of the ruling classes are maintained and are not threatened by the plebs.

Yeah, I went to one of those schools, Brooklyn Technical High School.  Graduated in mid nineteen-fifties.  I was OK on making it co-ed (how'd they manage the bathroom situation?) but when I heard about the Mayor wanting to eliminate the entry exam for the sake of diversity, I darned near threw up.  I still remember my "Whoopie!" reaction when my eighth grade teacher read the announcement that I had been accepted to Brooklyn Tech.

I don't know if the school's antenna is still there.

ETA:  That quote is from Reply # 25.

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Technical_High_School

Pic credit in properties

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:44:12 AM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »
If they can do it to math how long before they try it with Chemistry? I for one cannot wait for the remodeling of high schools around the country because it was close enough to be (right).  >:D

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »
So who exactly designed the bridge?  Was it the EOR, it is just left vaguely stated as Figg, which could be e group or several people.

Figg is the Engineer of Record. Figg is (or was -- don't know if this put them out of business) a professional engineering firm. The lead engineer for the [Figg} team of engineers who designed the bridge was Denney Pate. NO project of that size and scale is ever designed by one person. The bridge probably involved a design team of between six and ten people. As the firm engaged to perform the design, Figg is legally responsible. As the lead engineer on the project Denney Pate bears the ultimate moral responsibility, but his acts are covered under Figg's professional liability insurance so he probably didn't have to pay anything.

After a disaster of that magnituude, though, I would be surprised if Figg didn't fire him. But I don't have any information about that.

Engineer of Record can refer to the firm, or to the one engineer who name and seal appears on the construction drawings. In larger firms, the drawings are usually sealed by one of the partners, but the partners are usually not directly involved in either the design or the drafting. They rely on their staff to do things right. In this case, the staff did not do things right. I don't know if Denney pate was a partner, or an employee. I don't know if he sealed the drawings, or if a partner sealed them.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:12 PM »
Figg is the Engineer of Record. Figg is (or was -- don't know if this put them out of business) a professional engineering firm. The lead engineer for the [Figg} team of engineers who designed the bridge was Denney Pate. NO project of that size and scale is ever designed by one person. The bridge probably involved a design team of between six and ten people. As the firm engaged to perform the design, Figg is legally responsible. As the lead engineer on the project Denney Pate bears the ultimate moral responsibility, but his acts are covered under Figg's professional liability insurance so he probably didn't have to pay anything.

After a disaster of that magnituude, though, I would be surprised if Figg didn't fire him. But I don't have any information about that.

Engineer of Record can refer to the firm, or to the one engineer who name and seal appears on the construction drawings. In larger firms, the drawings are usually sealed by one of the partners, but the partners are usually not directly involved in either the design or the drafting. They rely on their staff to do things right. In this case, the staff did not do things right. I don't know if Denney pate was a partner, or an employee. I don't know if he sealed the drawings, or if a partner sealed them.

Thank you for that.  Seems like the specific engineer(s) responsible for those particularly calculations, and any engineer tasked to review those calculations should bear some personal responsibility and consequences in addition to the firm.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
If they can do it to math how long before they try it with Chemistry? I for one cannot wait for the remodeling of high schools around the country because it was close enough to be (right).  >:D

bob

Yeah. Jeff Dunham will have to replace Achmed the dead terrorist with Sidney, the dead Chemistry teacher.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
Looks like Figg still exists: https://www.figgbridge.com/

It's the damnedest web site I've even seen, though. I tried it in two different browsers, and I don't see anything on there about an address, a phone number, or any way to contact them or even to figure out where their office(s) is/are located.

MCM still exists, too: https://www.mcm-us.com/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Thank you for that.  Seems like the specific engineer(s) responsible for those particularly calculations, and any engineer tasked to review those calculations should bear some personal responsibility and consequences in addition to the firm.
Quite a few decades ago - when I was just a tyke - my father worked for an engineering consulting firm. Even though he wasn't an architect, it somehow fell to him to design some sort of industrial building or warehouse. He looked up the information he needed to on things like roof spans and snow loads, and drew up a design which was subsequently turned over to the customer, who hired a separate construction company to build it according to plan.

They didn't.

Sure enough, after a heavy snow, the roof collapsed. Hungry lawyers came to the consulting company, and my Dad was called on the carpet. He and the management team went out to the site and my Dad noticed - the building deviated significantly from the blueprints he'd prepared. Something along the lines of substituting 5" beams for the specified 8" beams AND increasing the spacing. Since my Dad's company had nothing to do with inspecting or managing the actual construction, the lawyers shook their heads, went away, and the customer went after the construction company instead. Dad ultimately came out "smelling like a rose" - he didn't even have to testify since the deviations from his blueprints were so egregious..

Dad shortly thereafter quit that engineering consulting company - he didn't much like their readiness to throw him under the bus, and he figured if it happened once, it could happen again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:34:44 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain