Author Topic: Car Battery Recommendations?  (Read 302 times)

HankB

• friend
Car Battery Recommendations?
« on: January 06, 2024, 07:13:58 PM »
Any suggestions of what's a good brand of car battery today? I need a size "24F" for my Pathfinder.

Or, alternatively, what brand to avoid?

I've used batteries from AAA for a while now, but it turns out they don't offer them in my area any more.  :mad:   Now considering Wal-Mart - gotten a little positive feedback, but just thinking about it for now. I mean, it's Wal-Mart.  (Years ago I had an "Interstate" battery explode, and the company told me they weren't warranted against explosions. :facepalm: So Interstate is off the table.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
Re: Car Battery Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 07:56:19 PM »
I have had pretty good results with the Motorcraft batts O'Reilly's sells, if it fits your car.

I have not been impressed with Walmart bats.  They sit around for a long time filled before they get to stores.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 09:08:53 PM »
Most batteries sold in the US are made by either East Penn or Johnson Controls. Both can make batteries that are good or cheap, and you get what you pay for. Get the highest CCA rated battery in the group size you need. I prefer AGM over standard flooded cells they handle vibration much better.

Last car battery I bought was a group 34/78 Super Start Platinum from O'reilley, I'd have to check but I think it was in 2014 or 2015. I also keep one of those 5W solar chargers on the dashboard and plugged in.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:37:25 PM »
Most batteries sold in the US are made by either East Penn or Johnson Controls.  . . .
Hmmm - just read that Johnson Controls sold its battery operation to Clarios in 2019. Thing is, the SAME web page claimed Johnson was still making batteries.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 07:50:13 AM »
Don't buy an Optima - have had problems with those. The three-year warranty AGM/Gel Cell we sell is $250. Personally, I'd go for $210 for the regular lead/acid version.

You'll need a 24F/24R - there is a couple of mm difference in the case size.

We call Walmart batteries "Neverstart." We see a LOT of problems from them. Most of the "big name" outfits have sold the names... Delco, etc...

Motorcraft batteries are beasts... See very few problems. I'll check if we can order one when I get to work.
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 08:40:29 AM »
. . . We call Walmart batteries "Neverstart." We see a LOT of problems from them. Most of the "big name" outfits have sold the names... Delco, etc...
That's good to know. They're apparently made by Johnson Controls.

They seem to have several levels of battery in my size from $70 (only 585cca) to $180 (710cca) for their "Platinum AGM" battery with a 4 year replacement warranty. I'd only CONSIDER their top of the line.

Is their entire product line considered to be problematic?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 08:54:25 AM »
I've had a couple of Duralasts for my Subarus over the years and have never had any problems with them.

And is it my imagination, or have battery prices absolutely exploded over the last 10 years or so?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 10:59:54 AM »
. . . And is it my imagination, or have battery prices absolutely exploded over the last 10 years or so?
It's not your imagination - maybe they come out of the same supply chain that makes primers for reloading?  ;)

Where lead comes from:  https://pubs.usgs.gov/periodicals/mcs2022/mcs2022-lead.pdf

Our reliance on imported lead is slowly increasing, in part since our last primary lead refinery closed in 2013. That and mandatory recycling drives up prices.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 06:20:46 PM »
Okay - I don't have a 24R/F series Motorcraft... I did notice that we have a 24R/F series "fleet/heavy duty" AGM battery that is only $190ish... If your cables will work, I don't know if that would be a good idea for not. Regular AGM is $250.
Blog under construction