Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61173 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #875 on: August 30, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »
Ukraine and Afghanistan have put lie to that. Nicest equipment you can send out, operator gotta sleep sometime.

One of the comments at the link made the good point that a bunch of unarmed civilians sent the government into a panic on 06JAN.

I guess when it's the Capitol, they don't wanna take out 635 collateral lives with the F-15s because politicians are important. They'll send the F-15s to Boise, ID and take out 5000 non-combatants to make sure they get seven Three Percenters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #876 on: August 30, 2022, 07:55:54 PM »
This could fit into any of the Biden threads here. This one is as good as any.

F-15s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking to a left-leaning friend the other day, and he said he was getting sick of the Biden admins (and AOC's and others) over the top attacks on the right. I think he's not the only one. This is a pretty good example of how far overboard they're going:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/08/30/joe-biden-tells-those-brave-right-wing-americans-again-theyll-need-an-f-15-to-take-on-the-government/

[Checks my GWOT-E and ICM ]
Keep telling yourself that Grandpa.  Ask Beau how many F15s you need.....oh, wait.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #877 on: August 30, 2022, 07:57:24 PM »
We've routinely noted that an insurgency engaged in guerilla warfare could tie things up like was done in Iraq and Afghanistan. If I understand it our ROEs were in large part intended to protect civilians and limit collateral damage.
I don't 5hink the left would use such kidglove rules in our own backyard.
We have Repeatedly been informed by the left that airstrikes and even nukes are on the table to put down any right-wing uprisings. I'm beginning to think they would take out entire neighborhoods to eliminate one recalcitrant gun owner.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #878 on: August 30, 2022, 08:21:18 PM »
We've routinely noted that an insurgency engaged in guerilla warfare could tie things up like was done in Iraq and Afghanistan. If I understand it our ROEs were in large part intended to protect civilians and limit collateral damage.
We have Repeatedly been informed by the left that airstrikes and even nukes are on the table to put down any right-wing uprisings. I'm beginning to think they would take out entire neighborhoods to eliminate one recalcitrant gun owner.

Remember in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq the US forces didn’t have their dependents in country and therefore at risk. That’s not the case in the US.

While the left likes to imagine taking the gloves off would be a very one sided thing it wouldn’t be.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #879 on: August 30, 2022, 08:30:38 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #880 on: August 30, 2022, 08:52:20 PM »

They did that in Philadelphia to the MOVE group.  Ruby Ridge and and the Branch Davidians were far enough out of town they didn’t feel the need to be restrained.

If they were to do that to a recalcitrant gun owner now it would do one of two things.  Either galvanize the resistance or, and I definitely expect some of this, people turn on every gun owner they know in fear of being “innocent” collateral damage.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #881 on: August 30, 2022, 08:53:51 PM »
“The Republican Party is basically a domestic terrorist cell at this point, and they should be treated as such," @DNC adviser Kurt Bardella.

— Tim Wood (@TimOnPoint) August 30, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/08/30/dnc-adviser-tells-msnbc-that-the-republican-party-should-be-treated-as-a-domestic-terrorist-cell/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #883 on: August 31, 2022, 08:14:02 AM »
He must have taken some extra potent stupid pills this week:

During the speech, Biden made an unsourced claim about the speed that an AR-15 shoots bullets.

"Do you realize the bullet out of an AR-15 travels five times as rapidly as a bullet shot out of any other gun?" Biden asked rhetorically during his speech.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-biden-botches-ar-15-facts-while-stumping-against-gun-violence-pennsylvania

Irrelevant side note: I learned about a new cartridge, the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer, developed in the '60s. :rofl:

https://firearmwiki.com/wiki/.22_Eargesplitten_Loudenboomer

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #884 on: August 31, 2022, 09:39:58 AM »
I am thinking that "civil war" in the USA would pretty much instantly become mass murders or deportations of citizens of the opposite political group.

It is a lot easier to shoot an unarmed member of party X than fight a "war"...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #885 on: August 31, 2022, 09:56:41 AM »
He must have taken some extra potent stupid pills this week:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-biden-botches-ar-15-facts-while-stumping-against-gun-violence-pennsylvania

Irrelevant side note: I learned about a new cartridge, the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer, developed in the '60s. :rofl:

https://firearmwiki.com/wiki/.22_Eargesplitten_Loudenboomer

Sounds like another side effect of people not realizing that rifle bullet velocities are (usually) much higher than that of handguns. So they think ARs are magical death rays.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #886 on: August 31, 2022, 10:14:03 AM »
So they think ARs are magical death rays.

Some of them would freak out if they saw a laser on one and/or saw you putting batteries in the light and optics.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
Some of them would freak out if they saw a laser on one and/or saw you putting batteries in the light and optics.

I run a laser sight, and night vision scope, per Patriot Front guidelines. As we all do, I hope.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
5x faster than anything else?  What a maroon.

Even the .45ACP with a 230gr bullet and standard pressure is 800fps, and about the slowest ammo typically encountered.  M193 is like 3200fps from a typical rifle length barrel.  So that’s 4x, but .22lr and most pistol ammo people actually use typically runs 1000-1500fps.  If he’d said 2-3x typical pistol velocities he’d have been correct. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »
5x faster than anything else?  What a maroon.

Even the .45ACP with a 230gr bullet and standard pressure is 800fps, and about the slowest ammo typically encountered.  M193 is like 3200fps from a typical rifle length barrel.  So that’s 4x, but .22lr and most pistol ammo people actually use typically runs 1000-1500fps.  If he’d said 2-3x typical pistol velocities he’d have been correct.
Rhetoric (hyperbole, lies) beats Dialectic (logic, facts) every time.

That's why politicians lie and exaggerate continually, because it works.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
I run a laser sight, and night vision scope, per Patriot Front guidelines. As we all do, I hope.

I run a thermal and a DBAL for the extra spicy laser. I'm an extremist.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #891 on: August 31, 2022, 12:46:57 PM »
I have run NODS "professionally" and that has taught me that I am not willing to put the time in to be proficient in CQB under NODS.  Perhaps I should be more extreme.

Modlite OKW for the win.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #892 on: August 31, 2022, 02:20:03 PM »
Perhaps I should be more extreme.

You can never be too extreme. I like the IR laser for light sabering cows in the pasture at night while I have the dog out doing his business. That's pretty much the only reason I have the DBAL.  =D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #893 on: August 31, 2022, 02:44:15 PM »
Seems like Ben's night vision/DBAL lends itself more to identifying and possibly engaging targets around his rural property outdoors at night more than CQB.  If I ever get into NV in a serious way that's where it would fall for me too.  At the moment my only (low-end) night vision is a monocular that can attach to a scope.  Utterly useless for CQB, and unlikely to benefit much from a DBAL, but still could be handy to eliminate nocturnal pests in a pinch.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #894 on: August 31, 2022, 03:54:44 PM »
Maybe the dems think they'll be allied with Russia and China against half the USA?

They're already allied with China against the USA. Another ally wouldn't hurt.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #895 on: August 31, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
Sure, and Ben's use on cows is probably right down the middle of the sweet spot for NODS.  Thermal really works well at hog and coyote spotting on a cold prairie/pasture as well.

In the context of this thread's more human target discussions however, I though it worth pointing out that NODS are a pretty steep training curve. You also have to assume bad actors have them as well, in which case an IR lase may be contra-indicated.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #896 on: August 31, 2022, 04:01:59 PM »
Seems like Ben's night vision/DBAL lends itself more to identifying and possibly engaging targets around his rural property outdoors at night more than CQB.  If I ever get into NV in a serious way that's where it would fall for me too.  At the moment my only (low-end) night vision is a monocular that can attach to a scope.  Utterly useless for CQB, and unlikely to benefit much from a DBAL, but still could be handy to eliminate nocturnal pests in a pinch.

Yeah, the CQB gun for in/around the house is my Sig Canebrake with a can, RD, and weapon light. I've thought about getting one of the weapon lights with a visible laser, like the TLR that I have for the house pistol, but that's it. For a home invasion scenario, I can't see putting on the helmet and everything else that goes with "night ops" while someone is breaking down my door.

The PWS MK111 that's next to the Canebrake is indeed for outdorsy stuff since it gets pretty pitch black out here once I step a little ways away from the house.

The thermal scope is not yet mounted on a rifle. I use it as a handheld a lot (again, when letting the dog out) at night just to look around and see all the stuff that I can't even see with the NVGs. Taking it out nearly every night in all kinds of weather and temperatures has taught me a lot about both the abilities and disabilities of thermal. I might put it on my MK116 at some point and enlist it in my current war with the racoons.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #897 on: August 31, 2022, 04:05:00 PM »
Sure, and Ben's use on cows is probably right down the middle of the sweet spot for NODS. 

To be clear, I'm not shooting my cow guy's cows. It's just really cool to see the laser shoot a beam out a hundred yards away, and target a cow's shoulder while my rifle is held at my hip.  =D

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable running and gunning with the NODs without training at this point. Even with the binos, I still feel a little off balance walking around.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #898 on: August 31, 2022, 04:14:05 PM »
To be clear, I'm not shooting my cow guy's cows. It's just really cool to see the laser shoot a beam out a hundred yards away, and target a cow's shoulder while my rifle is held at my hip.  =D

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable running and gunning with the NODs without training at this point. Even with the binos, I still feel a little off balance walking around.

The worst is jogging and doing weapons manipulation.  You have to remember that the image you are looking at is actually from about 8" in front of your eyes, so you have to apply that offset to where you are putting your feet, and at least with PVS-14's, they tend to be focused out in front of you a bit, so where you are putting your feet and your rifle is both fuzzy, and offset from the image.  Takes some getting used to.  I tripped quite a bit when I started using NODS a lot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #899 on: August 31, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
Takes some getting used to.  I tripped quite a bit when I started using NODS a lot.

I have a few steps on my back porch, and I nearly fell and broke my neck the first few times because the NODs threw my depth perception off. Though fun fact, I did some test driving with my Polaris with them at night, and that worked just swell from the gitgo.