Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 62434 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #900 on: August 31, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
I have a low light monocular and I agree with that.  Not only does it put the perspective out in front of you, but it shakes a little when moving.  At night it forced me to slow down which was good.  I haven't worn it in a while.  I will have take it out again soon. 

I need to get a thermal monocular to carry around.  That is a weakness of the low-light stuff.  You can only see clearly a short distance.  After that, it is mostly looking for movement.  I assume it would be better with some practice.  I remember seeing rabbits out in the open and thinking they were one of the tree limbs nearby until they moved.   On the plus side, my Dad and I got within about 30 yards of a buck before he got spooked.  That was with my Dad not walking softly (his hearing is poor).

Overall, yes, professionals would completely outclass me in the field.  I have no illusions that I would go out and get in a pitched battle with spec ops soldiers and not die quickly.   =)   Of course, the odds of those guys coming near me are slim.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #901 on: August 31, 2022, 04:29:43 PM »
I have a few steps on my back porch, and I nearly fell and broke my neck the first few times because the NODs threw my depth perception off. Though fun fact, I did some test driving with my Polaris with them at night, and that worked just swell from the gitgo.
Does yours cover both eyes or just one?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #902 on: August 31, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
Does yours cover both eyes or just one?

Both. They're the TNVC unfilmed WP RNVGs. They were definitely a cry (a whole lot) once purchase, but I spent a lot of time talking to Sam Houston and doing research, and Sam steered me good. Talking to him about my needs, he recommended binos, even if it meant I go to their Nightgoggles (hunting website) or elsewhere to get commercial grade filmed binos instead of a high grade PVS14. Six month wait (actually showed up last 24DEC as an xmas present to myself), but they're absolutely amazing. TNVC even hand picked them for specs for my rural setting and colder Winter temps (yes, it makes a difference - I learned a lot talking to Sam).

Before that I was using an ATN (yeah, I know) gen2 PVS14 knockoff which was okay, but it's a cheap Chinese kids toy compared to the RNVG.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #903 on: September 02, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »
Looks like the admin is moving forward with pistol brace registration

https://twitter.com/gunowners/status/1565788116501282816?s=21&t=YamMMFWI3S33O4Rqfy_8GA

Faced with jailtime of up to 10 years & a $250k fine, these gun owners will have to submit all their info to the gov including their name, SS Number, address, phone number, email, credit card number, & fingerprints as well as the make, model, and serial number of their firearm.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/09/atf-pistol-brace-amnesty-registration-program/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #904 on: September 02, 2022, 07:19:53 PM »
Looks like the admin is moving forward with pistol brace registration

https://twitter.com/gunowners/status/1565788116501282816?s=21&t=YamMMFWI3S33O4Rqfy_8GA

Faced with jailtime of up to 10 years & a $250k fine, these gun owners will have to submit all their info to the gov including their name, SS Number, address, phone number, email, credit card number, & fingerprints as well as the make, model, and serial number of their firearm.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/09/atf-pistol-brace-amnesty-registration-program/

Interesting that they're going to give the tax stamp for free.

Our ATF inside sources have told AmmoLand News that the ATF was planning for an amnesty period where gun owners would be able to register their braced pistols as short-barreled rifles (SBR) and that it is expected they will receive a free tax stamp.

It's also unclear to me if they are saying this is the same as a normal SBR registration where you can then put whatever stock you want on, or if this is some deal where it still has to keep the brace?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #905 on: September 02, 2022, 08:41:00 PM »
My understanding  (limited as it is from the released documents) is that it's a straight Form 1, so the reciever is than an SBR and you can swap parts around as desired. I did see some mention of having to include pictures of the pistol braced weapon so people can't just SPR every rifle they own for free.  I"ve been shooting a braced AR long enough that I don't think I'd bother to swap it out for a regular stock, but some folks might. The engraving fees might also add up.

Interesting side note: I have seen estimates of up to 10 million pistol braces having been sold. If they are all suddenly registered as SBRs, would that make an SBR a weapon in "common use"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #906 on: September 03, 2022, 08:14:07 AM »
While I know many millions won't comply, I'm wondering how many millions will be unknowing felons? Like the guy who doesn't look at gun forums and just bought a gun one time at a big box store.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #907 on: September 03, 2022, 08:28:57 AM »

Interesting side note: I have seen estimates of up to 10 million pistol braces having been sold. If they are all suddenly registered as SBRs, would that make an SBR a weapon in "common use"?

I've heard 4 million, I've heard 10 million. One guy even said 40 million.
I seriously think the 4 million number may be high
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #908 on: September 03, 2022, 08:41:01 AM »
I've heard 4 million, I've heard 10 million. One guy even said 40 million.
I seriously think the 4 million number may be high

I guess it depends on where you live and your state laws as well, but here it sure seems that there are more 11" barrels going out the door than 16" barrels. I know that my LGS always has 16" barreled rifles and uppers in stock, but 11" ones seem to always be sold out.

Speaking of individual states, I suppose this would mean that there are a lot of people who couldn't do the "amnesty" even if they wanted to, because their "federally legal" SBR would then be illegal in their home state.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #909 on: September 03, 2022, 12:33:03 PM »
My range is sorta self selected, but the only 16" and longer barrels I see out there are the Precision builds.  Any "GP" carbine build I see these days is 10.5"-14.5".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #910 on: September 03, 2022, 12:38:31 PM »
I guess shorter barrels are all the rage now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #911 on: September 03, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »
The pistol braces made it cheap and easy to try out an SBR, and lots of people discovered SBR's work really well for a wide variety of tasks.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #912 on: September 05, 2022, 11:53:05 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #913 on: September 06, 2022, 08:48:47 AM »
I guess shorter barrels are all the rage now
Pistol caliber carbines are increasingly popular - less muzzle blast, cheaper ammo, and subsonic pistol bullets (for a suppressed weapon) are more effective than subsonic .22s.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #914 on: September 06, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »

Why should the government worry about us peasants having guns if they are so sure they can beat us with their F-15s?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #915 on: September 06, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »
Pistol caliber carbines are increasingly popular - less muzzle blast, cheaper ammo, and subsonic pistol bullets (for a suppressed weapon) are more effective than subsonic .22s.
I think a lot of people have home defense and shorter ranged shooting in mind so the SBR types guns are ideal for that.  Some of the muzzle devices available do a pretty good job of throwing the blast noise downrange. 

I was planning to SBR a couple guns.  The biggest pain is messing with the photos and fingerprint cards.  I can get fingerprint cards from Silencer Shop.  If I can do it without paying $200 each, that might be a win-win.  I don't like the "or else" part of it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #916 on: September 06, 2022, 05:07:13 PM »
Interesting that they're going to give the tax stamp for free.

If the NFA is justified as a 2A infringement because it's not an infringement, just a tax... and then they don't apply the tax... doesn't that make it a deliberate infringement for the sake of infringement?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #917 on: September 10, 2022, 05:47:54 PM »
Making it a bit easier for Big Brother
How long before we start seeing gun purchases regularly denied by the CC companies?

International Organization for Standardization votes to create special code for credit card transactions at gun stores
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/09/10/international-organization-for-standardization-votes-to-create-special-code-for-credit-card-transactions-at-gun-stores/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #918 on: September 10, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
Making it a bit easier for Big Brother
How long before we start seeing gun purchases regularly denied by the CC companies?

International Organization for Standardization votes to create special code for credit card transactions at gun stores
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/09/10/international-organization-for-standardization-votes-to-create-special-code-for-credit-card-transactions-at-gun-stores/

So will it be an item thing, or a store thing? Will the Kayak you buy at Cabela's be a gun? Or are they only targeting "gun stores"? One of my favorite things to do is to use my Cabela's card at my LGS, then when I have enough points, get a free gun at Cabela's. I wonder if when you use CC points, it's listed as a CC purchase at the store?

Anyway, other than missing out on points, I'll just stop at the bank before I go to the LGS. I'm not putting myself in another gun database this soon after I moved to where I don't get NICs checks and my 4473 stays at the gun store. It's a slight hassle, as I often walk into the LGS just to look and end up throwing my card down and walking out with something, but as long as we're still allowed cash, I reckon that'll do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #919 on: September 10, 2022, 06:48:52 PM »
If the NFA is justified as a 2A infringement because it's not an infringement, just a tax... and then they don't apply the tax... doesn't that make it a deliberate infringement for the sake of infringement?

STOP THAT!

Logic is not tolerated!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #920 on: September 11, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »
Two of the largest public pension funds in the U.S., which are located in California and New York, have put pressure on the country’s largest credit card companies to adopt separate sales codes for gun sales.

Also:

However, gun rights advocates contest that tracking gun store sales would target legal gun purchases because merchant codes only label the type of merchant where the credit or debit card is used, not the specific items. The purchase of a gun safe, for example, could be seen as a large purchase at a gun shop since the item can be bought for thousands of dollars. But a gun safe is a product considered to be part of responsible gun ownership.

So it does appear to be merchant, not item specific. I was mostly wondering because I get categorized annual summaries for my cards, and it's by things like fuel, travel, groceries, health, etc., but purchased from stores that wouldn't necessarily be viewed as a primary provider of those goods and services.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/visa-mastercard-amex-categorize-gun-store-sales-separately

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #921 on: September 20, 2022, 11:20:45 AM »
    The legislation includes a new licensing system, a mandatory safety course, fingerprinting, a background check and much more. Anyone who owns an assault weapon at the time of enactment would be grandfathered in.

There are exemptions to the bill including those who already own an assault weapon, active-duty military and law enforcement officers and more.

Jacobs describes says this is common sense gun legislation. He says, “We can honor and protect our Second Amendment, while also ensuring that dangerous weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.”

Introduce by a dem? Nope. by Rep. Chris Jacobs (r) of NY

GOP congressman introduces bill to license "assault weapons"
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/09/20/gop-congressman-introduces-bill-to-license-assault-weapons-n62508
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #922 on: September 20, 2022, 01:59:37 PM »
Introduce by a dem? Nope. by Rep. Chris Jacobs (r) of NY

GOP congressman introduces bill to license "assault weapons"
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/09/20/gop-congressman-introduces-bill-to-license-assault-weapons-n62508

With “friends” like this …

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #923 on: September 20, 2022, 02:05:01 PM »
There are exemptions to the bill including those who already own an assault weapon, active-duty military and law enforcement officers and more.

Even as one of the special pigs, This crap pisses me off.  Cops and .mil have no need to have special access to weapons that citizens don't get. They need to stop trying to make people more special.

ETA: Obviously it would be better if they stopped trying to pass stupid laws too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #924 on: September 20, 2022, 02:44:31 PM »
Even as one of the special pigs, This crap pisses me off.  Cops and .mil have no need to have special access to weapons that citizens don't get. They need to stop trying to make people more special.

There seems to be a subgroup of RINOs (like the guy in the link) that are big into being pro LE and Mil as part of an authoritarian schtick. They want a police state just like some dems do, just with different people under the thumb of authority.