Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61105 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #425 on: May 16, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »
No... it is difficult to get guns legally in Mexico, but it not illegal altogether.  The state has a legal monopoly on gun sales.  There is one legal gun store in the country and it is run by the army.
At least all those gun control measures keeps gun crime low, though.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
TTAG has picked up the story

Biden Pulls a Trump Card – Rare Breed FRT-15 Trigger Now Classified as a Machine Gun
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/biden-pulls-a-trump-card-rare-breed-frt-15-trigger-now-classified-as-a-machine-gun/

If you own one the ATF will be contacting you and you should either destroy it, and provide photo evidence, or turn it over to the ATF

UPDATE: Rarebreed vs ATF & What ATF Says FRT 15 Owners Should Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l131Jw_S6A0

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2022, 05:48:52 PM »
‘Ghost’ busters: Illinois becomes first state in Midwest to ban untraceable do-it-yourself ‘ghost guns’
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/18/23125377/illinois-becomes-first-state-in-midwest-to-ban-unmarked-untraceable-ghost-guns

“A child should not be able to build an AR-15 like they’re building a toy truck. A convicted domestic abuser should not be able to evade scrutiny by using a 3D printer to make a gun,” Pritzker said at the bill signing in St. Sabina Church’s gymnasium, surrounded by Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Chicago Police Supt. David Brown and community leaders.

A child  :facepalm:

Under the law, people who own gun kits would have to get them stamped with serial numbers within 180 days of the effective date of the law.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #428 on: May 20, 2022, 10:05:59 AM »
Cory Booker wants to require you to get a license from the DOJ before you can buy or receive a gun

Democrats have not leaned into gun control measures in the wake of the racist shooter’s deadly attack in Buffalo over the weekend, but Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) is taking on the issue despite long legislative odds. Booker, along with Sens. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), is introducing legislation today that would require people trying to get a firearm to get a license from the Department of Justice before they can buy or receive a gun.

The DOJ license would require both a written firearm safety test and hands-on training, a criminal background check and submission of fingerprints and proof of identity. The license would only be available to people over 21 years of age, essentially raising the age of gun ownership to 21.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/oh-hell-no-dem-senators-bill-would-require-doj-approval-before-americans-can-buy-guns/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2022, 10:08:00 AM »
Cory Booker wants to require you to get a license from the DOJ before you can buy or receive a gun

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/oh-hell-no-dem-senators-bill-would-require-doj-approval-before-americans-can-buy-guns/

So if you even got approved, probably a good five years to get your "permit".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Cory Booker can eat a bag of male genitalia
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2022, 02:52:37 PM »
[clears throat]

[scans democrat rallies and protest pics]

Ah yes, here it is.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #432 on: May 24, 2022, 05:14:08 PM »
See what happens now
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #433 on: May 25, 2022, 11:01:24 PM »
KM Tactical got hit with a cease & desist over their 80% kits

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxzerW_QVPLbzhpMiQlOhU3x4mSI9Ia_zK
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2022, 11:04:14 PM »
[clears throat]

[scans democrat rallies and protest pics]

Ah yes, here it is.

Something about terms being acceptable.  They want to go,  let's do it.  I'm sick of their existence.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2022, 11:17:25 PM »
I will not comply.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #436 on: May 31, 2022, 04:33:45 PM »
"Protecting our Kids Act"

Bill
https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/JU00/20220602/114852/BILLS-117-HR-N000002-Amdt-1.pdf

Raises min purchase age for semi autos with a capacity > 5rds
Large cap magazines restrictions (10rds) and buys backs
Requirement that all firearms be traceable
Closes the "Bump Stock Loophole" (?)
Prohibition on straw purchases (already illegal)
Safe storage (A fine and you forfeit the firearm if violated)

House committee eyes Thursday vote for wide-ranging gun control legislation
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/31/politics/house-bill-gun-control/index.html

BREAKING: HUGE Gun Control Package Moves Forward
https://docs.house.gov/Committee/Calendar/ByEvent.aspx?EventID=114852
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:54:00 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #437 on: May 31, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »
Should add an amendment that repeals GCA and NFA. That should kill it dead.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #438 on: May 31, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »
Looking at the bump stock def section it appears binary triggers and similar would be lumped in with bump stocks and thus illegal. Guess that "explains" loophole.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 05:31:55 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #439 on: May 31, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
Still examining

All "high" cap magazines manufactured after this bill must have serial numbers

- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: May 31, 2022, 05:02:12 PM »
Lets see... looks like we're expanding the definition of a frame or receiver to encompass AR uppers.  Also looks like we're calling 80%'s a "receiver"  Frame or receiver includes: casting or machined bodies that requires modification, including machining, drilling, filing or molding, to be used as part of a functional firearm, and which is designed and intended to be used in the assembly of a functional firearm.

Looks like were killing off home manufacturing. 

Also this could bone NFA supressor builds and the like: It shall be unlawful for a person other than a licensed manufacturer or importer to engrave or cast a serial number on a firearm in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce unless specifically authorized by the Attorney General.

This looks like existing home builds will become illegal if not serialized:
Beginning on the date that is 30 months after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed manufacturer or importer to knowingly possess a ghost gun in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce.

Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this paragraph, the Attorney General shall prescribe regulations for engraving a unique serial number onto a ghost gun.

Looks like existing jigs, fixtures and the like for finishing 80% builds will become illegal. 
Except as provided in subparagraph (A), beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed manufacturer to possess, purchase, or receive, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a machine that has the sole or primary function of manufacturing firearms.

There's a section that requires safe storage around minors or ineligible persons.  With criminal penalties and forfeiture.

Some state bribes with money.
For each of fiscal years 2023 through 2027, the Attorney General shall give affirmative preference to all Bureau of Justice Assistance discretionary grant applications of a State or Indian Tribe that has enacted legislation functionally identical to section 922(z)(4) of title 18, United States Code.’’.

Closing down any psudo-machineguns.

10rd mag caps with grandfather clause, also looks like maybe transfers of existing normal mags are restricted?  And grant money to purchase privately held ones.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #441 on: May 31, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »
I haven't looked at the whole thing yet, so I won't panic yet. There may be some obviously unconstitutional stuff that will kill it at the gate.

That said, dammit, I saw a Memoria lDay sale on Gen2 Pmags for $9.99 and was thinking, "I've got plenty, but that's what I said about ammo a month before that blew up." Perhaps I should have bought ten or twenty. I'll be interested looking around over the next couple of days to see what's happening with mags.

That five round limit is gonna be DOA. Otherwise good lawyers could argue revolvers will be illegal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #442 on: May 31, 2022, 05:10:30 PM »
Meanwhile, the International Association of Chiefs of Police and the Fraternal Order of Police sent a letter on Friday to Republican and Democratic leadership in the House and Senate offering to help work on gun measures.

Yeah, the cop groups can *expletive deleted*ck right off. They're all going to have exemptions, so they can sit this out.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2022, 05:24:58 PM »
Appears instead of going after "assault weapons" directly they're going after their magazines probably in an attempt to limit political damage before the midterms and to give the appearance to the left they're doing something . Then if they survive the midterms they'll go for the rest.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2022, 06:04:56 PM »
They think an assault weapon ban will fail in the courts.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #445 on: May 31, 2022, 06:06:47 PM »

Since when has that stopped them?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #446 on: May 31, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
That five round limit is gonna be DOA. Otherwise good lawyers could argue revolvers will be illegal.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #447 on: May 31, 2022, 06:18:30 PM »

And AW ban has never failed in the courts.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #448 on: June 01, 2022, 04:49:47 AM »
And AW ban has never failed in the courts.

True, but we have some more case law now.

As is always the case with politicians look at what they are doing, not saying.  They have their lapdogs in the news talking about right wing extremist courts, and they've stopped even talking seriously about AWBs. Even Biden, Mr. I'm the only one to go to to toe and beat the NRA said he can't  ban an entire type of weapon.

They don't  want case law on what "In common use" really means. At least not until SCOTUS really changes it's makeup.

Home made firearms and mags are much lower hanging fruit.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #449 on: June 01, 2022, 09:12:55 AM »
Not going anywhere at the moment with zero co-sponsors but bears watching

H.R.7544 - To provide a private right of action against the maker of any component of a ghost gun, and any person who facilitated a sale of the ghost gun, for injury or death resulting from the use of the ghost gun.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/7544/text?r=1&s=1

"Any Component"

Ban On Parts Submitted!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dejv8y0rT3M
- Calvin and Hobbes