Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61103 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #475 on: June 05, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
1,000% tax on "assault" weapons

A House Democrat plans to introduce a bill that would hit AR-15's with a 1,000% tax — and it could pass Congress without GOP votes
https://www.businessinsider.com/democrat-ar-15-rifles-tax-congress-gun-control-biden-administration-2022-6
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #476 on: June 05, 2022, 03:36:27 PM »

A House Democrat plans to introduce a bill that would hit AR-15's with a 1,000% tax — and it could pass Congress without GOP votes
https://www.businessinsider.com/democrat-ar-15-rifles-tax-congress-gun-control-biden-administration-2022-6

I was just gonna post that. Can you imagine $20K ARs? How about when they really wanna get rid of combustion engine cars and a Toyota Corolla costs $100K after taxes?  I'm only a layman, but this has to be illegal/unconstitutional?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #478 on: June 05, 2022, 03:43:31 PM »
I was just gonna post that. Can you imagine $20K ARs? How about when they really wanna get rid of combustion engine cars and a Toyota Corolla costs $100K after taxes?  I'm only a layman, but this has to be illegal/unconstitutional?

If it’s not unconstitutional it should be.  1000% tax is an effective ban.  Until they stack SCOTUS we might have a chance striking it down, if it gets passed.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 05, 2022, 05:50:29 PM »
Can you imagine all those who currently own ARs/AKs and/or own other "toys" and might take exception to such shenanigans? I bet they outnumber the military and and possibly police as well.

Glad I just acquired 2 33 round "giggle sticks" for my G19 to go with the 2 factory mags I already had. Hope paying $20 for the pair, NIB, wasn't too much.  =D  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #480 on: June 05, 2022, 06:54:20 PM »
Chris Murphy claims there won't be an "assault weapon" ban. That may be true, given what it would do to dems in November.

He suggests that red flag laws will be a shoe-in with plenty of R votes. I would not be surprised. Red Flag laws are the kinds of things establishment Rs love, in the same vein as the Patriot Act, etc. "Drop the hammer" legislation with no regard for unintended consequences and/or innocent or minor offenders getting the full hammer blow.

If there were an avenue to punish false accusers, it wouldn't be as bad, but like Title IX, we'll be seeing lots of innocent people's lives destroyed with zero repercussions for false and malicious accusers.

Note that the link below doesn't mention red flag laws, but when I read the story this morning, they had red flag laws in it. It has apparently been edited since.

https://www.businessinsider.com/murphy-bipartisan-gun-reform-no-assault-weapons-ban-background-checks-2022-6

Pb

• friend
« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »
If it’s not unconstitutional it should be.  1000% tax is an effective ban.  Until they stack SCOTUS we might have a chance striking it down, if it gets passed.

The SC hasn't bothered to even hear one of the many possible court cases on state AW bans over years.  None of these have been overturned (permanently) by lower courts.

We will see soon if Amy Barrett is going to make any difference.  John Roberts would vote against us for sure.

Given how pathetic the court has been on guns for a decade, I don't think they are going to overturn any of the bans or licensing schemes.  Nothing the court has done has had any effect on the large majority of the USA.  It has only effected the extreme outliers (Washington DC).  The current case we are waiting on will presumably only effect the small number of states with may-issue CCW. 

If these states are forced to go shall issue, they will probably just make it obsecenely difficult and expensive to get a permit, and stack on banned locations... and every court will think that is just fine.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »
Chris Murphy claims there won't be an "assault weapon" ban. That may be true, given what it would do to dems in November.

He suggests that red flag laws will be a shoe-in with plenty of R votes. I would not be surprised. Red Flag laws are the kinds of things establishment Rs love, in the same vein as the Patriot Act, etc. "Drop the hammer" legislation with no regard for unintended consequences and/or innocent or minor offenders getting the full hammer blow.

If there were an avenue to punish false accusers, it wouldn't be as bad, but like Title IX, we'll be seeing lots of innocent people's lives destroyed with zero repercussions for false and malicious accusers.

Note that the link below doesn't mention red flag laws, but when I read the story this morning, they had red flag laws in it. It has apparently been edited since.

https://www.businessinsider.com/murphy-bipartisan-gun-reform-no-assault-weapons-ban-background-checks-2022-6

Supposedly the Red Flag law will be one of those we won’t give the states certain moneys unless they enact certain regulations things. Even our current congress knows they can’t enact this as Fed Law. I’ve personally thought that BS was unconstitutional all along, but SCOTUS being SCOTUS.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2022, 08:18:04 PM »
If wonder if Joe remembers saying this ...

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2022, 10:47:55 PM »

I don't know at what point it becomes unconscionable, but the federal government effectively did this with machine guns in 1934.  A $200 tax on a machine gun that might cost $200.  That appears to have stood the test of time.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #485 on: June 05, 2022, 11:50:28 PM »
I don't know at what point it becomes unconscionable, but the federal government effectively did this with machine guns in 1934.  A $200 tax on a machine gun that might cost $200.  That appears to have stood the test of time.

Yep.  Congressmen at the time felt that an outright ban on certain types of guns would be an unconstitutional infringement of the 2nd Amendment. They felt that a de facto ban using taxes would hold up in the courts.  Hard to see how that is any different from Jim Crow laws pricing the exercise of other rights out of reach for certain citizens.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #486 on: June 05, 2022, 11:55:57 PM »

Google sez a Tommy-gun sold for $200 back in 1934 but the NFA tax, which frankly should have been ruled unconstitutional, and might have been overturned if Miller hadn’t died before SCOTUS heard his case, was still “only” a 100% tax for that gun.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #487 on: June 06, 2022, 12:02:37 AM »
If I want to make a suppressor, I have to buy that $200 tax stamp.

The thing will have maybe $20 worth of material in it. Maybe.
Blog under construction

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #488 on: June 06, 2022, 12:12:00 AM »
$20 of material translates to probably $200-300 retail. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #489 on: June 06, 2022, 01:19:34 AM »

I think he's right. We got whacked with a red flag law two or three years ago. The Republicans in the state legislature fell all over themselves voting for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #490 on: June 06, 2022, 07:14:02 AM »

The "assault weapon" will henceforth be priced at $1. The sling it comes with - an untaxed item - will be priced at $749.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #491 on: June 06, 2022, 07:51:47 AM »
Google sez a Tommy-gun sold for $200 back in 1934 but the NFA tax, which frankly should have been ruled unconstitutional, and might have been overturned if Miller hadn’t died before SCOTUS heard his case, was still “only” a 100% tax for that gun.

According to https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
$200 in 1934 = $4,315.06 in 2022

Be glad they haven't adjusted for inflation...yet
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:22:48 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #492 on: June 06, 2022, 10:35:47 AM »
What’s the bigger threat right now?  Red flag laws or 30 round magazines?

I see red flag laws loosely worded to the point where anyone can raise a warning and get your guns confiscated.  Due process out the window and years of legal fighting to get your guns back.

The above is a win/win for the left. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #493 on: June 06, 2022, 10:42:22 AM »
What’s the bigger threat right now?  Red flag laws or 30 round magazines?

I see red flag laws loosely worded to the point where anyone can raise a warning and get your guns confiscated.  Due process out the window and years of legal fighting to get your guns back.

The above is a win/win for the left.

Red flag by far
10rd mag restrictions aren't going to have that big of effect no matter how much screaming is done over them.
Red Flag laws on the other hand open the door to being abused out the arse by anyone from the Karen next door to the govt.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #494 on: June 06, 2022, 11:14:30 AM »
Red flag by far
10rd mag restrictions aren't going to have that big of effect no matter how much screaming is done over them.
Red Flag laws on the other hand open the door to being abused out the arse by anyone from the Karen next door to the govt.

Agreed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #495 on: June 06, 2022, 11:16:22 AM »
Yep.  Congressmen at the time felt that an outright ban on certain types of guns would be an unconstitutional infringement of the 2nd Amendment. They felt that a de facto ban using taxes would hold up in the courts.  Hard to see how that is any different from Jim Crow laws pricing the exercise of other rights out of reach for certain citizens.

The justification for using taxing power was that under the 10th Amendment there was no power for the feds to regulate guns.  There is a federal power to "tax" to raise revenue.  They didn't care about the Second Amendment.  Back then the 10th Ammendment wasn't quite as dead as it is now.  Recall a new constitutional amendment was needed for Prohibition?

Of course, you are right about everything else- it is unconstitutional, given the tax isn't to raise revenue, but rather to screw over our rights.  But that doesn't stop congress anyway.  Expecting the judges appointed by the Federal government to limit its power in any meaningful way has not worked out.

The Constitution appears to have been a horrible mistake.  We should have stuck with the articles of confederation.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2022, 01:06:11 PM »
If I want to make a suppressor, I have to buy that $200 tax stamp.

The thing will have maybe $20 worth of material in it. Maybe.

I remember seeing monocore "solvent traps" on Alibaba for $6.99 a while back.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #497 on: June 06, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »
Now there is "naked Hunter Biden with an illegal gun" imagery floating around, which should help cement Brandon's gun control push hypocrisy. The link is mostly eye safe.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/06/a-naked-hunter-biden-is-there-any-other-kind-apparently-cant-help-but-further-kneecap-joe-bidens-gun-control-push/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2022, 02:01:03 PM »
I remember seeing monocore "solvent traps" on Alibaba for $6.99 a while back.

The 9mm monocore on my AR-9 cost me $239.99 (+ shipping).  $200 of that was taxes.  I've seen some guntubers that did the even cheaper Chinese "fuel filters".  They'll work for pistol calibers.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #499 on: June 06, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »
Red flag by far

I also agree they’ll abuse the sh*t out of the red flag law.