Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61178 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #500 on: June 06, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »
Realistically, I'd expect it to be abused about as often as a Domestic Violence Protection Order is abused by a lying partner.  It's a pretty similar mechanism.

Which is to say: A fair amount, but not so much that the statistics are common knowledge.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #501 on: June 06, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »
GUN CONTROL UPDATE: Senator Says They Won't Get Assault Weapon Ban & MORE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvEi1GUGKE

Just need another "incident" to turn that around.
Say sometime this week.  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

50 lbs of tin foil on my head is starting to hurt my neck
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #502 on: June 06, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2022, 09:34:19 PM »
How about $10,000?
$20,000?

Blue-check suggests a $5,000 a gun buyback for three months, no questions asked
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/06/blue-check-suggests-a-5000-a-gun-buyback-for-three-months-no-questions-asked/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #504 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:09 PM »
How about $10,000?
$20,000?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/06/blue-check-suggests-a-5000-a-gun-buyback-for-three-months-no-questions-asked/

You know what, if they found private money instead of taxpayer dollars and offered $5000 or $50000 per gun, I say let them knock themselves out. That's someone's personal choice.

Bloomberg is a billionaire. As the left always says about Musk and world hunger, why hasn't Bloomberg put up billions of dollars to "buy back" guns from people for $5000 a pop?

Edit: reading the link after I posted (as usual), I only mean the buyback part, not the banning and ratting people out part.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #505 on: June 06, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »
You know what, if they found private money instead of taxpayer dollars and offered $5000 or $50000 per gun, I say let them knock themselves out. That's someone's personal choice.

Bloomberg is a billionaire. As the left always says about Musk and world hunger, why hasn't Bloomberg put up billions of dollars to "buy back" guns from people for $5000 a pop?

Edit: reading the link after I posted (as usual), I only mean the buyback part, not the banning and ratting people out part.

I report Hunter Biden
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #506 on: June 06, 2022, 10:33:02 PM »
How about $10,000?
$20,000?

More evidence that gun control is largely about disarming poor people.

And the rest of is making sure you don't even have a bulletproof vest for your own protection.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #507 on: June 07, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »
"The Conversation", via Yahoo News, goes out of their way in hoop jumping to show why 18 year olds are too young, dumb, and immature to buy a gun, but not to vote. They seem to imply that voting doesn't require maturity or intelligence, and any dummy can vote, which is why that's okay.

https://news.yahoo.com/historical-psychological-reasons-why-legal-124949936.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #508 on: June 07, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
I report Hunter Biden

He brought it upon himself.  New photos out of him with illegal gun.  Think anything will happen to him?  Hell no.

Now back to the thread conversations..

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #509 on: June 07, 2022, 08:45:25 AM »
He brought it upon himself.  New photos out of him with illegal gun.  Think anything will happen to him?  Hell no.

Now back to the thread conversations.

The only way he'd be charged with any crime is if he stops kicking back 10% for The Big Guy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #510 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:26 AM »
More evidence that gun control is largely about disarming poor people.

And the rest of is making sure you don't even have a bulletproof vest for your own protection.
More renewed talk about restricting even passive protection - you're vulnerable and have to stay that way! (Don't some jurisdictions already restrict gas masks?) Before long, they'll be trying to mandate weaker doors and locks as well so LEOs can enter your home more easily.

There's no longer just an honest difference of opinion between "Left" and "Right" - the Lefties are either downright crazy or they have sinister intent. (These are not mutually exclusive characteristics.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #511 on: June 07, 2022, 09:49:04 AM »

The buy back only makes sense from a "ban guns" perspective if you can just use the $5K to buy a couple more guns.  If someone was throwing around stupid money, I think I could pick up some sub-$300 guns and make a profit.  Who wouldn't turn a HiPoint into a Cabot 1911 if they could? 

Then again, this was just someone's suggestion.  People can come up with all sorts of crazy ideas to spend money when they don't have to foot the bill.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #512 on: June 07, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »
The buy back only makes sense from a "ban guns" perspective if you can just use the $5K to buy a couple more guns.  If someone was throwing around stupid money, I think I could pick up some sub-$300 guns and make a profit.  Who wouldn't turn a HiPoint into a Cabot 1911 if they could? 

Then again, this was just someone's suggestion.  People can come up with all sorts of crazy ideas to spend money when they don't have to foot the bill.

Well, yeah. I have a few guns I'd like to trade up.  =D

A guy could do pretty good business build PSA rifles and selling them to the buyback. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #513 on: June 07, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
Thinks they have 58 votes with at least 2 wavering.
Takes 60 to override a filibuster

UPDATE: The Race To Red Flag & Defeating The Filibuster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYa2Alox7ng
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #514 on: June 07, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/upshot/gun-control-polling-votes.html

Read more: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220606/new-york-times-gun-control-less-popular-than-advertised#ixzz7VX9DEQwx
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

New York Times: Gun Control Less Popular Than Advertised

Read more: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220606/new-york-times-gun-control-less-popular-than-advertised#ixzz7VXAzvqtc
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

It’s one of the most puzzling questions for Democrats in American politics: Why is the political system so unresponsive to gun violence? Expanded background checks routinely receive more than 80 percent or 90 percent support in polling. Yet gun control legislation usually gets stymied in Washington and Republicans never seem to pay a political price for their opposition.

1.  I don't think the polling is accurate as the questions asked are usually leading questions.
2.  Gun control has never equaled violence control and I think a lot of people realize that even if they can't put it into words. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #515 on: June 07, 2022, 10:13:32 AM »
1.  I don't think the polling is accurate as the questions asked are usually leading questions.

Given how they're treated in the media, gun owners generally don't participate in the polls to begin with, even if the poll is "unbiased" enough to even poll them. The polls seem to use San Francisco and NYC as their sample populations. Just one time, they should try a poll in flyover country, excluding cities with over 50,000 population to see what the poll numbers say.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #516 on: June 07, 2022, 10:16:33 AM »
More renewed talk about restricting even passive protection - you're vulnerable and have to stay that way! (Don't some jurisdictions already restrict gas masks?) Before long, they'll be trying to mandate weaker doors and locks as well so LEOs can enter your home more easily.

There's no longer just an honest difference of opinion between "Left" and "Right" - the Lefties are either downright crazy or they have sinister intent. (These are not mutually exclusive characteristics.)

I kinda like that they're talking about body armor bans (for us little people). It really lays bare their true intent.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #517 on: June 07, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »
Before long, they'll be trying to mandate weaker doors and locks as well so LEOs can enter your home more easily.

Police control, man.

https://youtu.be/mkGsYEKOswU?t=51

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #518 on: June 07, 2022, 07:45:18 PM »
Says they have 60 votes for a bill
No solid word what's in it yet

BREAKING NEWS: Gun Control Bill Has Been Drafted! They Reportedly Have 60 VOTES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcI1VNfbqVI
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #519 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:39 PM »
Says they have 60 votes for a bill
No solid word what's in it yet

Of course not. We'll just have to pass it to find out what's in it. â„¢
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #520 on: June 07, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »
I see even Fox News has Matthew McConaughey blasted on their main page today regarding his speech at the White House, and seems to be casting him in a positive light for "sensible" reform. Which includes red flags, enhanced background checks, 21 or over, and waiting periods, which surprisingly, I hadn't heard talked about much by politicians. That's usually a favorite, though it would have done nothing in these last two incidents.

It seems to me that something distasteful will pass, given that so many establishment and squishy Rs, and non-gunny conservatives in general, want to "do something".

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #521 on: June 07, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »
Not much we can do about it until November. Just have to wait and see what GOA does about it and the voters.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
Yea Matt pushed folks over the top with his bloviated speech yesterday.  Expect mag bans, red flag laws and age restrictions at the minimum….. :facepalm:

Guess I should inventory my mags that hold more than 10 rounds and see where I’m at.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »
Yea Matt pushed folks over the top with his bloviated speech yesterday.  Expect mag bans, red flag laws and age restrictions at the minimum….. :facepalm:

Guess I should inventory my mags that hold more than 10 rounds and see where I’m at.
The local rag (Austin American-Statesman) put Matt's opinion piece AT THE TOP OF THE FRONT PAGE OF THEIR PAPER! I don't care if they did have a little "opinion" tag on it, it's still an editorial on the front page, not the editorial page - they're not even PRETENDING to be a "news"paper any more.

"News"paper should at least pretend to be fair and impartial . . . this paper has been doing so by having "from the left" and "from the right" columns inside on the editorial page. (Both columns are on the same page - literally and often editorially; Orange Man Bad, need more gun safety laws, etc. Go figure.)

I'm not going to renew my subscription - the only reason I don't cancel right now is because I'm pretty sure they'll mess up the refund.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain