Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61106 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2022, 09:23:56 AM »
I kinda like that they're talking about body armor bans (for us little people). It really lays bare their true intent.
I sort of wonder how that kind of law would be set up.  I can see companies selling 10x14 targets with spall coatings (for safety) or soft targets for the same reason. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2022, 09:52:22 AM »
I see even Fox News has Matthew McConaughey blasted on their main page today regarding his speech at the White House, and seems to be casting him in a positive light for "sensible" reform. Which includes red flags, enhanced background checks, 21 or over, and waiting periods, which surprisingly, I hadn't heard talked about much by politicians. That's usually a favorite, though it would have done nothing in these last two incidents.

It seems to me that something distasteful will pass, given that so many establishment and squishy Rs, and non-gunny conservatives in general, want to "do something".

I want to know why the *expletive deleted*ck a goddamn pedowood actor’s opinion is driving this *expletive deleted*it and why his *expletive deleted*ing dogshit opinion matters more than the millions upon millions of gun owners.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #527 on: June 08, 2022, 10:01:05 AM »
I want to know why the *expletive deleted*ck a goddamn pedowood actor’s opinion is driving this *expletive deleted*it and why his *expletive deleted*ing dogshit opinion matters more than the millions upon millions of gun owners.

Because he's a good actor*. That's not a knock on your post, it's more agreement with it. He actually gave an emotionally powerful speech, and if you look at the emotion, rather than the logic, you can see why this speech is everywhere, with even people like Twitchy editors, who spend their whole day making fun of progs, talking about the good points he made.

It's actually a little scary seeing how such a speech could sway people on emotion alone.

*Though I believe he was not acting, but using his acting training. I believe he is sincere in what he is saying, even though I disagree with much of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #528 on: June 08, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »
Yep, lets enact laws and run the country based on emotion.
Pretty much how we got the *expletive deleted*it show we in now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #529 on: June 08, 2022, 10:17:18 AM »

Because he's a good actor*. That's not a knock on your post, it's more agreement with it. He actually gave an emotionally powerful speech, and if you look at the emotion, rather than the logic, you can see why this speech is everywhere, with even people like Twitchy editors, who spend their whole day making fun of progs, talking about the good points he made.

It's actually a little scary seeing how such a speech could sway people on emotion alone.

*Though I believe he was not acting, but using his acting training. I believe he is sincere in what he is saying, even though I disagree with much of it.

Uvalde, TX is also Matthew McConaughey's home town.  He was born there.  People think that gives him some special insight on the whole event.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #530 on: June 08, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »
Cornyn tries to reassure the pro-2A people:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/06/john-cornyn-texas-gun-bipartisan-uvalde/

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, the lead GOP negotiator in the Senate’s efforts to pass bipartisan gun safety legislation, is managing expectations over what kind of bills he’s willing to get behind.

But the answer to that question isn’t going to satisfy many Democrats who are pushing for restrictions that include expanded background checks and raising the age to purchase a firearm in the wake of the devastating elementary school shooting in Uvalde.

“Targeted reforms, I think, is the way to get to where we need to go,” Cornyn said in a Senate floor speech on Monday.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #531 on: June 08, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »
Yep, lets enact laws and run the country based on emotion.
Pretty much how we got the *expletive deleted*it show we in now.

One snippet of his speech that I saw was talking about how a girl's parents were only able to identify her body because of a shoe they recognized, which kind of plays into the, "AR15s turn people into dust" thing. That's pretty powerful for people who don't understand science.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #532 on: June 08, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »
One snippet of his speech that I saw was talking about how a girl's parents were only able to identify her body because of a shoe they recognized, which kind of plays into the, "AR15s turn people into dust" thing. That's pretty powerful for people who don't understand science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswxDfzEXaU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #533 on: June 08, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
Here's the emotion we need right now
Holy cow she nails it
I doubt you'll see any of this in the MSM

Ms. Hughes calls out calls for gun control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUNpJtYYWU
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #534 on: June 08, 2022, 11:27:42 AM »
Here's the emotion we need right now
Holy cow she nails it
I doubt you'll see any of this in the MSM

Ms. Hughes calls out calls for gun control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUNpJtYYWU

Yeah, she was good.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #535 on: June 08, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »
I don't think until 2023, anything new will be passed, the numbers aren't there in the Senate.

If the Dems can take control of both the house and senate, 2023-2024 will probably be a hold my beer 2 years.

At the state level, things will probably happen in the dominate blue states, probably not much in the dominate red states.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #536 on: June 08, 2022, 12:07:31 PM »

The ancient Romans had the right idea for the proper social standing and relevance for actors.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #537 on: June 08, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »
I don't think until 2023, anything new will be passed, the numbers aren't there in the Senate.

If the Dems can take control of both the house and senate, 2023-2024 will probably be a hold my beer 2 years.

At the state level, things will probably happen in the dominate blue states, probably not much in the dominate red states.

I still believe "21 and over" is a shoe-in if nothing else is.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: June 08, 2022, 01:01:14 PM »
I still believe "21 and over" is a shoe-in if nothing else is.

Agreed.  There's already well established cultural and legal precedent with handguns.

They should tobacco to that list too.  That'll kill the bill right quick!  :P

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #539 on: June 08, 2022, 01:09:32 PM »
Agreed.  There's already well established cultural and legal precedent with handguns.

And abortion.
That should trigger some howling
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #540 on: June 08, 2022, 02:02:52 PM »
And abortion.
That should trigger some howling

And voting, getting married, enlisting, conscription ...
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #541 on: June 08, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »
And voting, getting married, enlisting, conscription ...

gambling, signing student loans, prosecuted as an adult, ...

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #542 on: June 08, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »
Yeah but abortion will get get them foaming at the mouth like nothing else.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #543 on: June 08, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »
Yeah but abortion will get get them foaming at the mouth like nothing else.

Double down with no sex change surgery or hormone treatment other than CIS gendered until 21.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #544 on: June 08, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »
Double down with no sex change surgery or hormone treatment other than CIS gendered until 21.

How’s about we also quit using made up nonsense terms like cis-gender.  Cis and trans are descriptors for chemical isomer arrangements.  Cis means “this side of” and trans means “the other side of”.  So cis-gender literally means “this side of types/classes of nouns”. 

Following the language alterations simply empowers the left to maintain that as a source of power.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #545 on: June 08, 2022, 03:09:18 PM »
$100 tax on every round produced "that can be used as a round of ammunition in any multi-round weapon"
$100 tax on every one of those rounds purchased
$100 annual tax on every one of those rounds owned

A Modest Proposal: Tax Ammo at a Benjamin for Each Round
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-modest-proposal-tax-ammo-at-a-benjamin-for-each-round/

How about a $100 tax every time a liberal opens their mouth and says something stupid?

- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2022, 03:09:25 PM »
How’s about we also quit using made up nonsense terms like cis-gender.  Cis and trans are descriptors for chemical isomer arrangements.  Cis means “this side of” and trans means “the other side of”.  So cis-gender literally means “this side of types/classes of nouns”. 

Following the language alterations simply empowers the left to maintain that as a source of power.

Or triple down!  Are you E or Z normative?  Do you orient R or S?   :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #547 on: June 08, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »
I contacted Senator Cornyn's office via a GOA email link a couple days ago.  This is the boiler plate response that came back within a few minutes.  I thought it might say more about "gun control compromise", but not really. 

The primary was in March.  I am pretty sure he won (I voted for a challenger).  I am not voting for him in November if he supports gun control. 

Subject: Thank You For Contacting My Office
Dear Mr. MechAg94:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

On May 24, 2022, a gunman maliciously took the lives of 21 innocent people, including 19 children at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas. My heart goes out to the loved ones of those who lost their lives as they grieve such a cruel tragedy. This is an incredibly difficult time for the Uvalde community, Texas, and our Nation. My office is coordinating with federal, state, and local officials to assist the people of Uvalde as they navigate the aftermath of this senseless act of violence.

As your Senator, I am committed to focusing on the root causes of mass violence, fully enforcing current law, and addressing improvements to mental health care in America. I will continue to push for effective solutions that protect communities and preserve citizens' Second Amendment rights. As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard law-abiding citizens' constitutional right to own and use firearms for lawful purposes. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals upon which our country was established. The Supreme Court's ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) affirmed that Americans' constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court supporting the fundamental right of American citizens to keep and bear arms. This landmark ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In the 2010 McDonald v. City of Chicago decision, the Supreme Court struck down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago-thereby affirming that the Second Amendment protects Americans' fundamental rights against state and local encroachment.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to harm innocent Americans. I believe strictly enforcing the law-and imposing tougher sentences on career criminals and violent offenders who use firearms-will reduce violence more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

Furthermore, I believe Americans with concealed handgun licenses should not sacrifice their safety and peace of mind when traveling between states. That is why I was proud to introduce the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2019 (S.69; 116th Congress). This bill would have allowed qualified individuals to carry a concealed handgun into, or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms. While this bill did not pass last Congress, I look forward to working with my colleagues on furthering protection of Americans' Second Amendment rights during the 117th Congress.

As your Senator, I will continue to champion the Second Amendment and work to provide resources for individuals with mental health issues to help ensure that our communities our safe and our Constitutional rights are not infringed.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate, and will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #548 on: June 08, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »

The cultural and legal precedent ever since the English colonized the USA is that young adults have the right own guns. 

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #549 on: June 08, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »

- Barack Obama