Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 61099 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2022, 01:13:44 PM »
Also the University of Washington is no longer investigating rapes.  Not sure if it’s the university itself, or Seattle PD, but either way, they’ll take the evidence but won’t pursue it.  At least not for a long time.

See! It's working! The incidence of rape has gone down.
SF actually pulled this crap where after they decriminalized certain crimes they loudly proclaimed a drop in crime
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2022, 01:33:05 PM »
Also the University of Washington is no longer investigating rapes.  Not sure if it’s the university itself, or Seattle PD, but either way, they’ll take the evidence but won’t pursue it.  At least not for a long time.

Someone's going to lock the doors from the outside and burn a frat house to the ground.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »
My older daughter will NOT be attending UW. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #604 on: June 14, 2022, 03:40:26 PM »
AOC:  Including juvenile records in background checks might be racist:

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/06/14/aoc-expanding-background-checks-to-include-juvenile-records-in-the-senate-gun-bill-might-be-racist-n476129

"something something white supremacy"
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2022, 03:50:04 PM »

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/06/14/aoc-expanding-background-checks-to-include-juvenile-records-in-the-senate-gun-bill-might-be-racist-n476129

Just make it so all (not just juvenile) felonies and criminal record issues drop off the background check after 10 years?  Maybe 15 years.  I would be okay with that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2022, 05:06:47 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/murder-suicides-by-pilots-are-vexing-airlines-as-deaths-mount/ar-AAYoW66

For decades, commercial airline travel has gotten progressively safer. But one cause of deaths has stubbornly persisted: pilots who intentionally crash in murder-suicides.

Preliminary evidence suggests the crash of a China Eastern Airlines Corp. jet in March may be the latest such tragedy, a person familiar with the investigation said. If confirmed, that would make it the fourth since 2013, bringing deaths in those crashes to 554.

How many have been killed in mass shooting events in that time?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #607 on: June 14, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/murder-suicides-by-pilots-are-vexing-airlines-as-deaths-mount/ar-AAYoW66
For decades, commercial airline travel has gotten progressively safer. But one cause of deaths has stubbornly persisted: pilots who intentionally crash in murder-suicides.

Preliminary evidence suggests the crash of a China Eastern Airlines Corp. jet in March may be the latest such tragedy, a person familiar with the investigation said. If confirmed, that would make it the fourth since 2013, bringing deaths in those crashes to 554.

How many have been killed in mass shooting events in that time?

As far as fatalities go that's less than an avg year in Chicago. 794 in 2021 alone.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #608 on: June 14, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
NJ looking to emulate NY on gun company lawsuits.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:03:26 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #609 on: June 14, 2022, 11:02:17 PM »
I heard an opinion that once the current gun control efforts are concluded, the administration will turn back toward trying to restrict imports more. 

Any thoughts?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #610 on: June 15, 2022, 07:15:41 AM »
I heard an opinion that once the current gun control efforts are concluded, the administration will turn back toward trying to restrict imports more. 

Any thoughts?
Imports are one area where POTUS has a lot of authority - I don't think he's done his worst there yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #611 on: June 15, 2022, 07:20:21 AM »
Imports are one area where POTUS has a lot of authority - I don't think he's done his worst there yet.

I recall that he said he would hit the EOs after legislation was passed to "shore up" the legislation.

I think we've talked about it before, but I can't recall what modern foreign "everyday" arms (e.g., Sig, Walther) that would affect. I think most of the foreign makers have domestic facilities.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
The video I was watching happened to be talking about MP5 clones.  Atlantic Firearms has/had some POF guns available (Pakistani Ordnance Factory).  I don't think H&K has US production.  I think it is the company that used to import the Turkish clones that is now making a US made MP5. 

Anyway, if imports are restricted, certain imports that are collectible now will become more valuable.  The problem is predicting which ones.  I would think the best angle would be to stick with brands that have a cult following like H&K.  American made versions might pop up, but the originals would still be there. 

Just a thought.  It is still enough of a gamble I doubt I would buy anything that I didn't sort of want anyway. 

Edit:  The CMP still has M1 Garands or sale.  That is probably a better way to make a few dollars. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:00:42 AM by MechAg94 »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2022, 10:25:36 AM »
Biden needs to get his own family's house in order before he insists people should be thrown in jail for improper firearm storage:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/15/gun-grabber-joe-biden-apparently-had-five-guns-as-of-2018-according-to-his-son-hunter-biden/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2022, 10:47:51 AM »
Meanwhile RI is moving to flat out ban >10rd mags. No grandfathering

Also age restrictions and banning open carry of shotguns and rifles.

High capacity magazines, age restrictions, and open-carry gun laws slated for RI votes
https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/politics/2022/06/07/rhode-island-house-vote-gun-control-laws-open-carry-weapons/7543876001/

Passed the legislature. I'm assuming the gov will sign
Be interesting to watch how the outright ban of >10 mags with no grandfathering goes

Edit: Whoops. forgot the link
RI legislature approves mag ban, ban on gun sales to under-21s, and more
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/06/15/ri-gun-control-laws-n59402
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »
Under the bill, those who already own large-capacity magazines or weapons that hold more than 10 rounds will have 180 days to comply with the law by either permanently altering the weapon so it can no longer hold more than 10 rounds, turning it into their local or state police, or transferring or selling it to a federally licensed firearm dealer or person or outside the state who is lawfully entitled to own or possess it. The bill provides exceptions for current and retired law enforcement officers and active duty military or National Guard members.

Hmmmm
"permanently altering the WEAPON"

Rhode Island General Assembly Passes Sweeping Gun Control Legislation
https://www.thenewportbuzz.com/rhode-island-general-assembly-passes-sweeping-gun-control-legislation/36901
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2022, 10:58:10 AM »
^^^

retired law enforcement officers

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
Why would retired law enforcement officers need "high capacity" magazines?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
Why would retired law enforcement officers need "high capacity" magazines?

And they include current military, but not retired military.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2022, 11:10:03 AM »

How about requiring a current valid photo ID?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2022, 11:29:33 AM »
How about requiring a current valid photo ID?

Well, that's obviously racist.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2022, 12:15:05 PM »
Remember this?

1,000% tax on "assault" weapons

A House Democrat plans to introduce a bill that would hit AR-15's with a 1,000% tax — and it could pass Congress without GOP votes
https://www.businessinsider.com/democrat-ar-15-rifles-tax-congress-gun-control-biden-administration-2022-6

Well the bill has been introduced and it has support
Also includes >10rd magazines

The 1,000% tax would apply to military-style "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines capable of carrying 10 rounds or more, adding thousands of dollars to the final sales price of such guns in a bid to severely restrict their access. The cost of those weapons typically range between $500 and $2,000, depending on location and other variables. That means the plan would add $5,000 and $20,000 to the final price tag.

No Rs needed for passing

It's intended to pass through budget reconciliation, a legislative maneuver allowing Democrats to sidestep GOP resistance and approve legislation with a simple majority vote. Democrats employed the tactic to pass President Joe Biden's stimulus law as well as the House-approved Build Back Better bill that later died in the 50-50 Senate.

Only measures that are deemed to have a large impact on the federal budget can be put into such a bill. Three budget experts told Insider that the bill would likely qualify to be included in a reconciliation package that Democrats hope to revive by summer's end, as it is structured as a tax.

37 House Democrats roll out a bill to hit AR-15-style weapons with a 1,000% tax that could pass Congress without Republican support
https://www.businessinsider.com/house-democrats-ar-15-tax-gun-control-reconciliation-2022-6

Doesn't mean it's going anywhere but bears watching
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
It won't get 50 D's but it might get a few R's.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2022, 01:12:55 PM »
Tin-foil-hat mode on [tinfoil] What the dems need right now is a highly publicized emotional event involving "assault" guns to exploit. Tin-foil-hat mode off.
- Calvin and Hobbes