Author Topic: Is there anyway to get a black market high flow toilet?  (Read 1171 times)

dogmush

• friend
Is there anyway to get a black market high flow toilet?
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
Like the title says. Short of stealing one from an old home, can one get [or make] a toilet that uses a bunch of water per flush to help push effluent all the way to the septic tank?

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Is there anyway to get a black market high flow toilet?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »
I have a couple of old toilets I will be taking out of my house.

Not sure that shipping them would be worthwhile though.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:36:17 PM »
You want a pressure assist unit.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 12:43:56 PM »
Maybe find someone remodeling their bathroom, or talk to local contractors? A lot of time the older toilets end up on the curb for garbage day.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »
You want a pressure assist unit.

My understanding is that requires swapping out the whole thin, as the pressure assist bowl waterways are different.  At $300 a pop, that's not a hard no, but it's be nicer to just get a bigger tank to put on my existing one.

I was hoping that, like the gas can, there was an easily done, market driven work around  for shitty [heh] .gov regs.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
Maybe find someone remodeling their bathroom, or talk to local contractors? A lot of time the older toilets end up on the curb for garbage day.

bob

Beat me in posting that.
Check when your city or one near you schedules a big junk pickup and cruise some neighborhoods. I usually see a bunch of older toilets sitting at the curb during the week of a big junk pickup.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
Check and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity store near you. They have all types of old fixtures etc...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »
Check and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity store near you. They have all types of old fixtures etc...

That's a good one.

Also, you might post a wanted ad on craigslist.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 01:18:17 PM »
I didn't quite appreciate the "old style" toilets that came with my house. At the time I was just too cheap(poor) at the time to put in some of those fancy, new ones.
You can take my 5 gallon per flush toilet when you pry my cold dead buttocks off the seat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 01:32:54 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=aftermarket+power+flush+kit+for+toilet&oq=aftermarket+power+flush+kit&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i22i29i30l5.14941j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There are aftermarket power flush kits available, but probably don't ship to places like Ca.  We have one toilet that doesn't flush properly since it was install without enough drop to the indoor sewer pipe.  I am considering getting on, rather than a whole new toilet.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 02:58:50 PM »
If it won’t flush a bucket of golf balls it ain’t a real toilet.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
This reminds of when my wife and I got married and rented an apartment for a few years.

We came home one evening and maintenance guy had changed the shower head and put the old one in our bathroom trashcan.

We took showers the next morning and I grabbed the old shower head out of the thrash and put it back on. The saved the new one for when we moved.

When we got the house we took the old shower head with us and are still using it to this day.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
I think all you need is a new tank.  A 3 gallon tank on a low-flow toilet with a large diameter throat and trap would probably be awesome.  OTOH, it might overflow if it clogs if the bowl doesn't hold an entire tankful of water.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
Having to flush twice is not that bad, because one flush will do just fine when you pee.  How many times do you poop per day?
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 03:39:27 PM »
Having to flush twice is not that bad, because one flush will do just fine when you pee.  How many times do you poop per day?

Reminds me of the California drought of the late 70s into the 80s. "If it's yellow be mellow. If it's brown flush it down."

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
Our place has two of the current gen HFLV (high flow, low volume) toilets, the kind with the extra large tank downtube.  It's three or four inches in diameter with a correspondingly large drain-side opening. We've had no trouble at all. Not a single stoppage that I can recall. Honestly, I think they work better than the old-school toilets I had in the old house.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »
This reminds of when my wife and I got married and rented an apartment for a few years.

We came home one evening and maintenance guy had changed the shower head and put the old one in our bathroom trashcan.

We took showers the next morning and I grabbed the old shower head out of the thrash and put it back on. The saved the new one for when we moved.

When we got the house we took the old shower head with us and are still using it to this day.
We built a master suite on 12 years ago with a delux master bath. I normally do my own plumbing but hired everything done in the addition. When he was finishing the shower I asked him if I was going to hate the new shower. He told me it was illegal for him to modify it. But if I happened to remove a certain blue plastic reducer while he went out to his van for a moment I might not hate it. The shower has 3 heads, no flow reducers.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »
We built a master suite on 12 years ago with a delux master bath. I normally do my own plumbing but hired everything done in the addition. When he was finishing the shower I asked him if I was going to hate the new shower. He told me it was illegal for him to modify it. But if I happened to remove a certain blue plastic reducer while he went out to his van for a moment I might not hate it. The shower has 3 heads, no flow reducers.

I've told customers having problems with the instant hot water heaters to google how to do that. They need a good flow to get up to temp.

I don't see how that is any of your business.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 03:51:20 PM »

Just replaced the corroded shower head in our master bath with this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-In2ition-Two-in-One-5-Spray-6-8-in-Dual-Wall-Mount-Fixed-and-Handheld-Shower-Head-in-Chrome-58569-25-PK/312202810

60 seconds with a hammer and punch to remove the restrictor and it works a treat. A little too well, actually. With both heads running and water temp set to "flay", it will empty a 40 gallon water heater in about five minutes. But they are five luxurious minutes. With one head running and more moderate water temps, there's plenty of hot water for both of us to shower.

Tat being said, there's a brand new 50 gallon Rheem sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my lazy behind and install it. Around here, water heaters rarely last beyond 10-12 years and this one has a 2003 mfg date.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
Some of the flush assisted toilets are way better than even the old toilets, they just cost a lot more.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 08:16:51 PM »
While some of the new toilets will do a good job emptying the bowl, the low volume may not carry the waste all the way to the main sewer.   :facepalm:

But planning the environmental crime of decent flushing . . . be careful the envirocops don't get you. (ESPECIALLY if you've hoarded conventional light bulbs as well.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 10:25:14 PM »
While some of the new toilets will do a good job emptying the bowl, the low volume may not carry the waste all the way to the main sewer.   :facepalm:

But planning the environmental crime of decent flushing . . . be careful the envirocops don't get you. (ESPECIALLY if you've hoarded conventional light bulbs as well.)

Oh no, don't look in my basement. :old: