Author Topic: Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion  (Read 610 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion
« on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »
https://www.pnas.org/content/111/24/8788

A giant experiment in manipulating peoples emotions that was performed on social media platforms.

Turns out you can be manipulated by social media and their algorithms.

Welcome to the Brave New World.

Significance

We show, via a massive (N = 689,003) experiment on Facebook, that emotional states can be transferred to others via emotional contagion, leading people to experience the same emotions without their awareness. We provide experimental evidence that emotional contagion occurs without direct interaction between people (exposure to a friend expressing an emotion is sufficient), and in the complete absence of nonverbal cues
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
https://www.pnas.org/content/111/24/8788

A giant experiment in manipulating peoples emotions that was performed on social media platforms.

Turns out you can be manipulated by social media and their algorithms.

Welcome to the Brave New World.

No *expletive deleted*it, National Academy of Sciences.  Another one of those things that makes one wonder about the effects of social media on the election.  They were quite up front about how they were going to try to move the election their way.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »
I don't understand. How was there any question about whether people could be influenced to share others' emotions? Haven't we always known about that? Was there some reason it was not expected to happen over Facebook?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Something,  something,  empathy... comes to mind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 03:50:15 PM »
Something... something... dog pack comes to mind.

Something... something... why wait for the law, we know he's guilty comes to mind.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:02:17 AM »
Want to manipulate my emotions?

Show me pictures of dogs.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 08:31:17 AM »
The word Mob keeps coming to mind and IIRC we were warned  about the Mob a long time ago
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:48:13 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »
I don't understand. How was there any question about whether people could be influenced to share others' emotions? Haven't we always known about that? Was there some reason it was not expected to happen over Facebook?

It has always been know.  Now there is a (public) scientific study providing empirical evidence of its existence.