Author Topic: Another standard from my past...  (Read 1154 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Another standard from my past...
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
Sausage, cabbage, and potato soup.

Very common in Central Pennsylvania with the Germans and Hungarians when I was growing up, and always a bowl of pure delight on a cold winter night.

My Mom never really made it, but friends Mothers did and you'd also see it on the menus at local restaurants.

Can't believe I didn't think of making this before now.

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/sausage-potato-and-cabbage-soup/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Another standard from my past...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:00:27 AM »
Quite tasty, but the basic recipe needs a bit more herbs and spices and it also needs a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to give it some brightness.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »
I've used several recipes off that site. I'm not a big cabbage fan. Raw red in salads and Napa in Chinese. I saw some smoked cabbage this week that might have to be tried. I'll look for a recipe when I get a chance.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 08:12:21 AM »
I LOVE cabbage. Got to when you're Pennsylvania German and a lot of your friends have Hungarian and Polish backgrounds...

Two very common winter dishes in my house when I was a kid were steamed cabbage and potatoes. Essentially you slice up some cabbage, slice up some potatoes, put them in a covered pot with a bit of water, and then let the steam do its magic. Serve with lots of butter and salt and pepper.

The other was creamed cabbage. Shred the cabbage fairly fine, then parboil it for a few minutes just to start it softening. Drain well, mix with a medium white sauce (and, if you want, cheese), put in a casserole, cover, and cook until almost done. When almost done remove the cover, add a layer of buttered crumbs, and cook until the crumbs are nice and brown.

Tonight it's going to be really miserable and cold, so I think it's time for a pot of creamy chicken and vegetable soup.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 08:38:34 AM »
I LOVE cabbage. Got to when you're Pennsylvania German and a lot of your friends have Hungarian and Polish backgrounds...

Don't forget beets.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
True. Very true. More than once I've eaten so many beets that I've pissed red.