Author Topic: Someone just skied past my front door.....  (Read 800 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Someone just skied past my front door.....
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:19:05 AM »
I was in the kitchen making blueberry muffins and the dogs went nuts about something.  One was standing looking out the glass front door so I went to see, expecting maybe something my wife ordered on line was being delivered.  Nope, it was someone all dressed up in ski gear actually skiing down the road.  We got 5 inches of snow and it is currently 10 degrees without the wind chill. Certainly not what I will be doing today.  It sleeted some yesterday and we got the snow on top, but the power is still on, so we are good to stay home for a few more days til it clears up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Someone just skied past my front door.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
I'm taking advantage of the higher than normal snow here to do the same thing. I've been using my trekking skis and skiing around my pastures and ATV trails and roads the last couple of days. Falling down a lot, but it's fun exercise, and you build up quite a sweat, so I'm sure the skier going past your house was warm if anything.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
Are you towing Steve behind you in a tug sled? If not, you're a bad Dad!

Maybe you should invest in an aerosani... That would be fun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »
Was he dress in all white with a Finnish M39 Mosin slung over his back?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
Are you towing Steve behind you in a tug sled? If not, you're a bad Dad!

Maybe you should invest in an aerosani... That would be fun.

Naw, he was under his own power and liked it. If the vet got his age right, he's never seen this much snow, and the little guy is a hard charger through all the fluffy white stuff. He's having a ball being a snow dozer.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »
Ben, you need a skijoring belt.  Put a stop to his freeloading.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
We had 16 inches over the weekend, so I dug out the MSR snowshoes and went tramping around a bit. I don't do the XC skis often enough to remember how to stop, so I have a tendency to head for the trees or fall down, and until I get the left hip replaced, I am trying to avoid falling down.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »
We had 16 inches over the weekend, so I dug out the MSR snowshoes and went tramping around a bit. I don't do the XC skis often enough to remember how to stop, so I have a tendency to head for the trees or fall down, and until I get the left hip replaced, I am trying to avoid falling down.

Stopping/slowing down is a problem for me also, I just aim for deep undisturbed snow then tip myself over =D

The temps will be in the 20's the rest of the week so I'll be out XC skiing and snowshoeing.

I was out a couple times in the real cold (single digits) and was fine but it is more work getting psyched up to go out in the bitter cold.

It is easier to modulate your temperature skiing and snowshoeing in the 20's.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
"Stopping/slowing down is a problem for me also, I just aim for deep undisturbed snow then tip myself over "

Yeah, but if you aimed for a tree you could stay upright...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
Ben, you need a skijoring belt.  Put a stop to his freeloading.

That sounds fun until he gets the scent of something and takes off under a barbed wire fence where he fits and I don't.  :laugh:

I've been snowshoeing too. I only have a pair of mid-range Yukon Charlies, but they have been fun and certainly easier than tromping around in boots when the snow is this high. I should have still had them on this morning when Steve and me did our patrol. The snow is starting to get crunchy and walking in regular boots in the fields was work this morning.

This will probably be the last morning that I can ski straight to and from my back door. A couple of the roads are already showing through. I've got another few days where I can carry the skis down to the pastures. We're supposed to get another couple of inches Thursday night though.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »

I can agree with that.  My left hip is shot and I am starting to realize falling down would be painful and since I like keeping the parts I got 71 years ago, I'll just be cautious.  With it 10 degrees outside we have to start hauling water out to the horses, which will not be fun.  It isn't supposed to warm up into the 20's until the weekend.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
I can agree with that.  My left hip is shot and I am starting to realize falling down would be painful and since I like keeping the parts I got 71 years ago, I'll just be cautious.  With it 10 degrees outside we have to start hauling water out to the horses, which will not be fun.  It isn't supposed to warm up into the 20's until the weekend.

How do you get the water out there? Do you carry or pull it?

I used to do winter trips pulling a sled. Heavy loads are easier pulling than carrying in deep snow.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 03:40:39 PM »
How do you get the water out there? Do you carry or pull it?

I used to do winter trips pulling a sled. Heavy loads are easier pulling than carrying in deep snow.
Our property is set up with the stable across the back yard from the house with all of their pasture south of the house and behind the neighbors to the East.  We have to fill kitty litter bottles which hold about 2 1/2 gallons and carry them out the back door, across the deck, and dump them over the fence into 2 seven gallon flexible tubs which are in the galvanized water trough.  I know that's the hard way but connecting 100 feet of house in the basement and navigating the uneven cement stairs to use the hose, and then draining it and coiling it and stowing it back in the basement is not any easier.  Then there is the issue of my wife's horse pulling the heater out and having it burn up because it's hanging off the side of the tank.  In Arizona I trenched to the fence next to the stable and buried flex pipe down 3 feet connected to a yard hydrant.  Our septic system is buried somewhere in the back yard here so I can't trench across the yard to run a water line to the stable.  It usually doesn't get cold enough long enough for the pond to freeze, but it has this winter.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
https://www.skipulk.com/

If you poke around on the site they even have a build it yourself guide.