Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh has died  (Read 2704 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Rush Limbaugh has died
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
I'll add to the memoirs.

I was born in '76, so Rush's show came out right about the time I first began to be aware of politics. The Bush I era. My grandmother would always give us the endless supply of Guidepost and Readers' Digest magazines she received, and RD reprinted a profile of him from some other magazine. I don't know what year it would have been, but I was intrigued by what I read.

From that point on, I listened to him whenever I could - in the summer, or when driving or working by myself. My Dad is very conservative, and a huge radio listener, but he never liked Limbaugh that much. I'm not sure if it was just a dislike for his style, or if it was because my Dad has a non-conformist streak that made him shy away from whatever all the other conservatives were raving about. But Dad should probably be glad Rush straightened my head out.

Years ago, the appeal of Rush's show began to wane for me. Not that I disliked Rush or disagreed with him, but at some point in the Obama years, I just took my ears elsewhere. Then I started listening more to podcasts.

We could really use a guy like him in the coming years. What a tragedy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »
I went back to the radio,
But America's anchor man was gone...

The Pretenders

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »

Years ago, the appeal of Rush's show began to wane for me. Not that I disliked Rush or disagreed with him, but at some point in the Obama years, I just took my ears elsewhere. Then I started listening more to podcasts.

We could really use a guy like him in the coming years. What a tragedy.

This.

Same experience for me.  Always liked Rush,  but around 2010 or so there were more options that didn't involve me needing to be in range of WTAM 1100 and didn't have an obscene amount of commercial breaks. 

I was always pissed when baseball started back up in the spring and preempted Limbaugh on the radio.  those were the good old days, it seems.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:06 PM »
I was always pissed when baseball started back up in the spring and preempted Limbaugh on the radio.

Yeah. KMOX was really obnoxious about that. You'd be listening, and then you'd realize the commercial break that started 10 minutes ago had turned into pre-game show without any apology or announcement. But, hey, it's the St. Louis market. You should know the Cardinals' schedule by heart, and how dare you think about anything but baseball?!

There was a period of blessed happiness when AM 550 was carrying the games, though.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »

How does this help the thread?  Were we being not angry enough as people recounted the positive impacts he had on them?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
How does this help the thread?  Were we being not angry enough as people recounted the positive impacts he had on them?

Quoted because I ,  too want to know the answer.   It was inevitable the haters would crawl out of the woodwork.  Do we have to acknowledge their black hearted attempts at kicking a dead lion?   =(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
Quoted because I ,  too want to know the answer.   It was inevitable the haters would crawl out of the woodwork.  Do we have to acknowledge their black hearted attempts at kicking a dead lion?   =(

Well, it does help to ID the arseholes. 

My grandmother told me something, well a lot of things, when I was a kid.  I will admit to not following her advice many times.  I wish I had.  Here are a couple that I have violated many times.  1.  "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything."  2. Always tell the truth.  That way you don't have to remember the story."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »

My grandmother told me something, well a lot of things, when I was a kid.  I will admit to not following her advice many times.  I wish I had.  Here are a couple that I have violated many times.  1.  "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything."  2. Always tell the truth.  That way you don't have to remember the story."
Those are very good ideas to live by.

I would also add the golden rule about treating others as you would have them treat you (even people you might hate). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
Those are very good ideas to live by.

I would also add the golden rule about treating others as you would have them treat you (even people you might hate).

Like many things, they are simple admonitions and good advice...but not easy to abide by.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »

Mine called it "K.B.M.S." - Keep Big Mouth Shut.  I didn't do a very good job of it either, especially when I saw so much stupidity demonstrated every day.  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »
It's got a Charlotte Clymer post damn near front and center,  Angel eyes is ( I think)  just highlighting the usual insane, *expletive deleted*it flinging chimps on the left.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
Hate to say it guys, but Rush and Trump are just avatars. Avatars who get the focus of hate that is in reality felt for you (us).

Somehow I don't think Rush would mind the reminder that the hatred for him is in part due to his being on the right, giving voice and speaking for the middle class conservative/right.

We shouldn't dwell on the hatred of course. But never forget, they hate you.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »
But never forget, they hate you.

Just like HK
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »

Primarily posting it for posterity.  Never forget that this is what they think about Rush, and by extension most everyone on the Right.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 10:22:15 PM »
Primarily posting it for posterity.  Never forget that this is what they think about Rush, and by extension most everyone on the Right.

Thanks for making sure we didn't miss our Two Minutes Hate.   ;/

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 07:12:15 AM »
Thanks for making sure we didn't miss our Two Minutes Hate.   ;/

Rush wasn't even very right wing and they hated him with white hot hatred.

Like Trump he would have probably been considered a liberal Democrat if the climate were like the late 50's early 60's.

That an individual with mildly conservative opinions who really was pretty moderate is held up as a lion of conservativism tells you how far we have fallen.

Nonetheless, he was an entertaining voice for decades who made it OK to mock the lefts lunacy. Laughing at the leftists is a good start at breaking their spell.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Discussing the left's hate for rush in Rush's obituary and eulogy thread does the left's psychological warfare work for them.  Never changing the damn subject to something other than hate is psychologically unhealthy!  Just seeing that crap, not even engaging with it in the thread, is actually harmful to the minds and emotional states of the people here.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2021, 03:36:32 PM »
Not every microaggression rises to the level of psychological warfare and something tells me that Rush wouldn't have wanted his obit thread turned into a "safe space." 

I was never a regular listener, but some of my family were (an uncle, in particular, and my parents from time to time).  The guy who did our premarital counseling actually went to high school with Rush and hung out with him some, although they didn't stay in touch.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
Rush wasn't even very right wing and they hated him with white hot hatred.

Like Trump he would have probably been considered a liberal Democrat if the climate were like the late 50's early 60's.

That an individual with mildly conservative opinions who really was pretty moderate is held up as a lion of conservativism tells you how far we have fallen.

Nonetheless, he was an entertaining voice for decades who made it OK to mock the lefts lunacy. Laughing at the leftists is a good start at breaking their spell.
If I remember correctly, Rush was for free markets with a level playing field, generally against BigGov, generally for less govt spending and regulation, generally against excessive taxes, and pro-life.  In a sane world, that may not be far right, but the leftists in this country are so far away from that they are over the horizon. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »
Not every microaggression rises to the level of psychological warfare and something tells me that Rush wouldn't have wanted his obit thread turned into a "safe space." 

I was never a regular listener, but some of my family were (an uncle, in particular, and my parents from time to time).  The guy who did our premarital counseling actually went to high school with Rush and hung out with him some, although they didn't stay in touch.

I agree with this, but at the same time, I've always felt we shouldn't be posting vitriolic comments in obit threads, even if it's Ted Kennedy. Or even Robin Williams! Starting another thread for that stuff is really easy. I bet those threads would get more comments than the obits.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:06 PM »
 I was a liberal ( who thought he was an anarchist )
 I asked my friend where he got all his awesome anti Clinton info from and he said "Rush"
My friend was a commie and I was amazed he would listen to Rush.
 my complete transformation is due to Rush, the treatment of Monica by liberals and believing the Constitution meant I could own guns.

Rush was a seriously funny guy, only really smart people can be funny on that level.
                                                                                              Really gonna miss him
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2021, 10:32:57 PM »
I heard from sum radio dood this morning that the family had a low-profile funeral for Rush in St. Louis (even though they're based in Cape Girardeau).

I don't know what position Rush took on the laws against funeral protests. There's no rights violation involved in outlawing such. Look at where we are now. You want to have a funeral for a good man who famously did invaluable work for our country? You better hide it. Meanwhile, George Floyd is endlessly eulogized, despite being a drug-addled creep whose death had nothing to do with his race.