Author Topic: Don't drive in Boise  (Read 837 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Don't drive in Boise
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Don't drive in Boise
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
I don't like Boise traffic, and when I first moved to Idaho I was surprised that it was worse than some places in CA, but it's certainly not in the Los Angeles tier. I do time my trips there for non-rush hour times whenever I can.

Certainly, as the article says, part of the problem is over the top recent growth way, way beyond infrastructure capabilities. They've been working on I-84 expansion for some time. I think it's supposed to be done by next year, but as far as those extra lanes go, nature abhors a vacuum, so I'm sure they'll be full pretty quick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »
I don't believe it, and nobody else does either. Is this one of those articles that they are publishing that is obviously false, but they just publish it and act like it's true, as a psyop?

Have people ever actually been to LA? There's no possible way you could even compare the traffic in LA to Boise.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »
It looks like they are depending on the relative difference between worst traffic times and best traffic times.  As a percentage it is apparently worse than LA or Atlanta which always have bad traffic.

So not worse traffic, just worse variation in rush hour.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
I don't believe it, and nobody else does either. Is this one of those articles that they are publishing that is obviously false, but they just publish it and act like it's true, as a psyop?

Have people ever actually been to LA? There's no possible way you could even compare the traffic in LA to Boise.

Remember what Mark Twain said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." If we read the fine print, what they are doing is using a metric I doubt anyone has ever considered in rating how bad commuter traffic is. They are not measuring how many cars go by a particular point. They are not measuring how long it takes to get from point A to point B. They are using a percentage difference in how far you can drive outward from downtown in an hour during rush hour compared to non-rush hour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:47 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/seattles-car-population-has-finally-peaked/

And here is another proxy for traffic: number of cares per capita.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
It looks like they are depending on the relative difference between worst traffic times and best traffic times.  As a percentage it is apparently worse than LA or Atlanta which always have bad traffic.

So not worse traffic, just worse variation in rush hour.

This of course, is completely believable. Most of LA is a parking lot, even at "off-peak" times and even at night in many places. So it stands to reason that LA has less total variation and is more just "always bad".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
I give zero cares per capita.

I was surprised by the percentage of people in Seattle who have gone 'car-free'.  You can get away with that in Seattle between the (not so good) mass transit, Uber/Lyft or ZipCar, and delivery services.  But even if my wife and I were living in a downtown highrise condo in Seattle, we would still have at least one car.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:23:22 PM »
I was surprised by the percentage of people in Seattle who have gone 'car-free'.  You can get away with that in Seattle between the (not so good) mass transit, Uber/Lyft or ZipCar, and delivery services.  But even if my wife and I were living in a downtown highrise condo in Seattle, we would still have at least one car.

People were starting to do it in Santa Barbara before I left, mostly as virtue signaling. I think they were finding it difficult, as I think it is in most areas. DC is one of the few places I have been where if I God forbid lived IN DC, I wouldn't even want a car. Many of my former colleagues assigned there would pay to keep their car in a parking garage and maybe take it out on a weekend or for road trips to get out of town. Everything else was Metro or taxi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
Last summer, so I could continue to ride pending my hip replacement, I bought a Tern HSD S8i electric cargo bike.  It has been really interesting to me to see all the people who use electric cargo bikes as car replacements.  With the right racks, crates and bags, you can get some impressive loads moving, both in terms of volume and weight.  This seems to work really well in flat areas with good weather, and they are quite popular in Europe to transport kids around. I have used mine a few times to cycle down to the local breweries and pick up a 12/24 pack of beer.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
One of my friends got a fancy E-bike and uses it to commute in Pinellas County, FL (Kinda over towards the beach from Tampa).  You wouldn't normally think of Tampa Bay as being densely packed enough to make that work, but between some OK bike lanes/trails and shitty beach traffic his 20-ish mile commute is faster on the bike then in his Tundra.

On the other hand, my commute includes US 301 and I-4 in Tampa, so an E-bike would be an expensive form of suicide.

On the OP article:  5th in the world for bad rush hour.  Please.  No matter what metric they use, that's laughable.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »
"I have used mine a few times to cycle down to the local breweries and pick up a 12/24 pack of beer."

Hah.  Finally someone has found an electric bicycle useful for something.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
Quiet Cat.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
"I have used mine a few times to cycle down to the local breweries and pick up a 12/24 pack of beer."

Hah.  Finally someone has found an electric bicycle useful for something.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 06:31:13 PM »
There's a meme for that. I rode my bike to the liquor store for some whiskey. I was afraid if I crashed it would break the bottle so I drank it there. Good thing I crashed seven times in the way home.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG