Author Topic: Cruz'in in Cancun  (Read 1404 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cruz'in in Cancun
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »
Maybe this will turn out to be fake news, because I wouldn't have thought Cruz would be this stupid. Very bad optics, especially after he rightly called out other politicians over jetting out of their cities and states while telling residents to lock down for covid.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ted-cruz-airport-power-crisis-texas
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Cruz'in in Cancun
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
Well,  I've heard it from other sources,  so maybe it is true.  :mad:   If this was the first time some lame brain politico had gone on vacation during some disaster or tragedy maybe it could be forgiven.

But don't we have enough examples of this to say  CRUZ SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER?? ??!?!? :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
The forecasts were predicting the cold weather for a week or so beforehand.  I can easily seem someone deciding to have a vacation instead of riding it out.  February is also generally the coldest month down here.  Optics are often the king of politics I guess.  His enemies will criticize him for not riding it out with everyone else.  His potential supporters will criticize him for allowing himself to be open to criticism by not riding it out. 

That last part often confuses me.  What are you mad at him about exactly?  If he had done 14 youtube videos marching through frozen streets, would you say how great he was and donate to his campaign?  He wasn't telling everyone else to stay put like a lot of liberals did during lock downs. 

I feel we get upset when politicians do photo ops to puff up their image then we also get upset with politicians do NOT do photo ops to puff up their image. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
I would add this:  He is a Senator.  His NOT a governor, or county judge or mayor who would be expected to lead recovery efforts and emergency services.  Senators don't do any of that.  At most, they might try to get funding for stuff after the fact.  I don't really expect anything from the national politicians outside of maybe federal disaster relief stuff.  None of the federal elected officials have anything to do with that.  Maybe it is another reason why Senators should still be appointed by legislatures. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
My griping aside, if he plans to run for something in a few more years, he probably needs to be able to address this.  I might come up.  Memories can be short though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »
Mech, I can address your last three points with this: Optics, optics, optics.

You can give, and he can have, rational explanations that would make his trip innocuous, but the court of public opinion will not accept them, and this will be a negative mark on him, moreso by his supporters than by people who hated him anyway. Plus whatever the MSM does with it.

As an example from much, much, lower in fed.gov: I used to constantly have to be the ahole telling our staff that when they were out on ops on our vessels, that they had to leave the surfboards behind. There was actually nothing against gov rules that would prohibit them from surfing on a lunchbreak, or when they were off shift on multi-day ops. However, citizens who saw them just saw gov jackwagons wasting taxpayer money goofing off on their private surfing safari boat paid for by tax dollars. The whole reason we had to curtail it was because people wrote letters and even sent pictures of crew surfing.

On the other hand, the Coast Guard guys could be on their Cutter, parked right next to us, and they could be surfing and no one would say a word. Because the coasties are uniformed, they're out there rescuing people, and the perception was that they deserve breaks like that for all they do. We were out doing enforcement and other stuff people hated, so we had to prohibit all kinds of stuff that was perfectly acceptable and legal because the optics were bad.

This is a case where optics are horrible, and Cruz should have known that (again, if this turns out to be as reported, vs fake news).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:32:54 PM »
Well,  I've heard it from other sources,  so maybe it is true.  :mad:   If this was the first time some lame brain politico had gone on vacation during some disaster or tragedy maybe it could be forgiven.

But don't we have enough examples of this to say  CRUZ SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER?? ??!?!? :facepalm:

What exactly do you think Cruz could have done to help with the problem? He is not part of the Texas government hierarchy.
Was this a spur of the moment trip or had it been planned for weeks or months in advance? Would you cancel a vacation if your bosses house had a broken water pipe?
I really don't have a problem with it and the whole bullshit about "optics" is just that.
If anyone has a real problem with it tell us what you think he should have stayed in Texas to do to fix the problem that state level politicians created?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:52:22 PM »
Mech, I can address your last three points with this: Optics, optics, optics.

You can give, and he can have, rational explanations that would make his trip innocuous, but the court of public opinion will not accept them, and this will be a negative mark on him, moreso by his supporters than by people who hated him anyway. Plus whatever the MSM does with it.

As an example from much, much, lower in fed.gov: I used to constantly have to be the ahole telling our staff that when they were out on ops on our vessels, that they had to leave the surfboards behind. There was actually nothing against gov rules that would prohibit them from surfing on a lunchbreak, or when they were off shift on multi-day ops. However, citizens who saw them just saw gov jackwagons wasting taxpayer money goofing off on their private surfing safari boat paid for by tax dollars. The whole reason we had to curtail it was because people wrote letters and even sent pictures of crew surfing.

On the other hand, the Coast Guard guys could be on their Cutter, parked right next to us, and they could be surfing and no one would say a word. Because the coasties are uniformed, they're out there rescuing people, and the perception was that they deserve breaks like that for all they do. We were out doing enforcement and other stuff people hated, so we had to prohibit all kinds of stuff that was perfectly acceptable and legal because the optics were bad.

This is a case where optics are horrible, and Cruz should have known that (again, if this turns out to be as reported, vs fake news).
For me, I care about optics apparently far less than others.  IMO, it is superficial.  If he had no responsibilities then it is not an issue. 

I think too often we tend to jump down the throat of politicians we like because we are afraid they are giving ammunition to the other side.  Sometimes we are criticizing them more than the other side is (or so it seems).  IMO, if he can't own up to it and face off against the media attacks, he isn't as good a politician as I think he is.  I am not going to add to the criticism out of fear of the other side's attacks.  Any hit this gives him in the next campaign is on him. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »
For me, I care about optics apparently far less than others.  IMO, it is superficial.  If he had no responsibilities then it is not an issue. 

I think too often we tend to jump down the throat of politicians we like because we are afraid they are giving ammunition to the other side.  Sometimes we are criticizing them more than the other side is (or so it seems).  IMO, if he can't own up to it and face off against the media attacks, he isn't as good a politician as I think he is.  I am not going to add to the criticism out of fear of the other side's attacks.  Any hit this gives him in the next campaign is on him.

I couldn't care less that he went myself, but I know you and I are not the general population. It's just a fact that politicians from either side have to deal with optics, bullshit or not, in everything they do, because it absolutely affects their electability. Especially so if they have beforehand criticized the other side for doing the same thing.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
I couldn't care less that he went myself, but I know you and I are not the general population. It's just a fact that politicians from either side have to deal with optics, bullshit or not, in everything they do, because it absolutely affects their electability. Especially so if they have beforehand criticized the other side for doing the same thing.

That only applies to Republicans.  Democrats are allowed to be two-faced hypocrites. 

Put me in the same camp as MechAg.  Cruz has no responsibility as a US Senator to be in Texas to "help" with their problems.  That is the job of the governor, et. al.  All Cruz should be doing is pushing through federal aid in the form of disaster relief.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
What exactly do you think Cruz could have done to help with the problem? He is not part of the Texas government hierarchy.
Was this a spur of the moment trip or had it been planned for weeks or months in advance? Would you cancel a vacation if your bosses house had a broken water pipe?
I really don't have a problem with it and the whole bullshit about "optics" is just that.
If anyone has a real problem with it tell us what you think he should have stayed in Texas to do to fix the problem that state level politicians created?

Ah .... maybe I over-reacted.  :-[
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 08:51:35 PM »
That only applies to Republicans.  Democrats are allowed to be two-faced hypocrites. 

Put me in the same camp as MechAg.  Cruz has no responsibility as a US Senator to be in Texas to "help" with their problems.  That is the job of the governor, et. al.  All Cruz should be doing is pushing through federal aid in the form of disaster relief.

+1 vote for non issue.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:05:45 PM »
Meh... Had he canceled and stayed at home because of "optics" I'd he pissed. That's blantant political bullshittery, changing family plans for talking points. He didn't force people to stay home and had no influence on mother nature. He had a vacation planned and he took it. Good for him.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:55 PM »
Focus on the issue - the occupation government of the Democrat Party must be driven out, and the party dismantled. Don't go along with their distraction campaign.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 12:22:57 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/heroic-ted-cruz-goes-to-cancun-to-lasso-the-sun-and-bring-it-back-to-texas
Heroic Ted Cruz Travels To Cancun To Lasso The Sun And Bring It Back To Texas   :laugh:

He was also attempting to bottle the water and bring it back to the Texans who have had no water for days, but advisers warned him that drinking the Mexican water would probably just make matters worse.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 08:00:50 AM »
Focus on the issue - the occupation government of the Democrat Party must be driven out, and the party dismantled. Don't go along with their distraction campaign.

mega-dittos
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »
Sort of damned if you do and damed if you dont.  Go, and get flack for being insensitive.   Dont go, and be accused of virtue signaling.  Poltics has become pretty toxic and there seems to be no shortage of media folks who are willing to make some sort of action or inaction into a mortal sin. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw