Author Topic: Montana goes constitutional carry  (Read 1220 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Montana goes constitutional carry
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »
URL is misleading, but nice to have some good news these days.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/02/18/montana-18th-state-abolish-concealed-carry-permit/

The NRA-ILA reported that Gianforte signed HB102, which means Montanans can “carry a firearm for self-defense throughout the state without a government-mandated permit.”

Breitbart News reported that HB102 also removes a number of state government-mandated “gun-free zones” throughout the state.

Also, I was unaware Utah took the same step about a week ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Montana goes constitutional carry
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
I read about Utah last week. I was unaware of Montana. Nice to see both states are still standing against californiacation. Also the continuation of permitless carry is a nice dig at the 46 admin. Eighteen states. It would be cool to get to 26, but I'm not sure how many more states we have with the fortitude to do so. I'm surprised North Dakota isn't on the list, and we're missing most of the "gun culture" Southern states. What's up with that?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:57:15 AM »
I thought I read that Utah was still maintaining a carry permit for those that wanted one.  I have one for the purposes of multi-state carry.  I hope the Utah permit does not go away.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
I haven't seen any of the states around here get rid of permits after going constitutional carry. I'm sure it's for the reason you mention.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:16:59 AM »
Yeah, Idaho kept both the standard and enhanced permits after going permitless, both for out of state travel and things like carrying in school zones, where you need an enhanced permit. Also for gun buying so you can skip the NICS.

Idaho was already permitless when I got here, but I still got a standard permit at the behest of the Sheriff's salesperson deputy at the DMV, who sold it to me based on the gun buying. When it expires, I might switch to the enhanced. The standard didn't require a class for me because I had a qualifying out of state permit. The enhanced requires a class. The standard is limited for states that accept it, but I use my Utah permit for travel. If I get the enhanced, I can let the standard and my Utah permit expire.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
That bill has been introduced again in the Texas Legislature this year.  I hope it gets more traction this time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
I had read some comments that if Utah did away with the permit, that the Arizona non-resident permit would be a good alternative.  Does anyone have an Arizona permit or have an opinion on it?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »
I had read some comments that if Utah did away with the permit, that the Arizona non-resident permit would be a good alternative.  Does anyone have an Arizona permit or have an opinion on it?

I have one. With the caveat that I haven't looked at Concealed Carry USA for a while, at this point the Utah permit does everything the AZ permit does. I had originally gotten the AZ permit because NV (and I think WA) stopped honoring UT. I also had an FL permit to cover WA when the others didn't.

It's all very confusing and a moving target. This reminds me that I should check the current laws. I dumped the FL permit a few years ago, and mostly just carry the UT permit when traveling, except to OR where I carry my OR non-resident since they are F'd up over there thanks to Portland.

When renewal time comes, I'm going to reevaluate my current permits and either go ID enhanced + OR only, or standard ID + UT +OR and let the AZ permit go. We'll see who is honoring whose permits at the time though. Also, it might be easier in the long run to continually renew the ones I have versus letting them go and then having to go through the whole initial process over again with the prints and photos and stuff. UT and AZ are both incredibly easy to renew. Kudos to both states on that.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »
^^^Washington state still recognizes the Utah permit.

https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol-license-reciprocity

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
^^^Washington state still recognizes the Utah permit.

https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol-license-reciprocity

Yes, I should have been clear that I stopped carrying both the UT and AZ permit when WA started accepting UT.  I just checked out the current reciprocity map. I think it's kinda funny that AZ will not honor my standard ID permit.

One reason for me to get the enhanced ID is that the single permit will cover pretty much anywhere I care to go nowadays, except OR, which doesn't like anyone. Stupid NV won't accept my standard resident ID permit.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »

Another good option for you would be the Idaho Enhanced. You would need to make a trip over there to get it because of the training requirement but it is a short trip, 6 hours or so to get to Couer d' Alene, spend a few days, make it a vacation.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »
None of my permits cover Oregon, so I like to remind myself that concealed means concealed, and the chances of an old middle-class white guy having LE contact in Oregon are minimal.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
None of my permits cover Oregon, so I like to remind myself that concealed means concealed, and the chances of an old middle-class white guy having LE contact in Oregon are minimal.

Super easy to get an OR permit for bordering states. Just go visit the Sheriff in John Day.

Edit: Shoot, I might need to take that back. Sheriff Palmer is no longer the Sheriff there. He was a strict constitutionalist and gave them out to all law abiding citizens. I don't know about the new guy, as all he has is "call us for info" on non-resident permits. Palmer had a whole non-resident section on his webpage with the application and everything. I got my first OR permit from Palmer when I lived in CA.

My current one is through the Malheur County Sheriff. He only gives them to bordering ID county residents, but it was easy to get, other than the four month wait for the appointment.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:10:22 PM by Ben »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
^^^We have discussed this on waguns and Northwest Firearms, and the current consensus seems to be that there are no Oregon sheriffs currently issuing out of state permits to Washington residents.  If anyone knows differently, please chime in.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »
The major issue in Washington right now is we are trying to get back the instant NICS background check or waiver if you have a Washington CPL.  Right now, everything in Washington is a mandated background check and 10 day holding period through a FFL.  I don't buy that much anymore since I cannot get the safe door shut as it is, but I did buy two pistols last year, and the 10 day wait was a pain.  I was used to showing my CPL and walking out the door with my purchase.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »
Montana is still not going to be completely constitutional carry. The bill also legalizes carry on college campuses, BUT ... to carry on a campus you must have undergone training equivalent to what's required to obtain a Montana permit. I have three permits (home state and two non-resident) that Montana recognizes, so I would be okay. And my NRA instructor ID would probably also work as a get out of jail card. On another forum, it was suggested that if you carry without a permit in Montana, take a class they recognize and carry proof that you took the class.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »

Most parts of Oregon are open carry...... just sayin. Portland *may* be an exception, you have to check all of the local laws, unlike WA Oregon doesn't have state exemption.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 01:58:48 PM »
WE ALL GONNA DIE!!!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 02:26:14 PM »
I can't link in this thing. Someone google Camden county Missouri and see what 2A sanctuary they just passed.  Going to get interesting.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
So what happens when blood runs in the streets in Montana in the Winter?  Does it just freeze over the street?   

Drive safe.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
So what happens when blood runs in the streets in Montana in the Winter?  Does it just freeze over the street?   

Drive safe.

Of course not, silly. It is gathered up to be drunk at the NRA blood feasts every third Friday of the month in the back room of the Buckin' Bronk Beer Bar over on Country Bumpkin St.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
I thought I read that Utah was still maintaining a carry permit for those that wanted one.  I have one for the purposes of multi-state carry.  I hope the Utah permit does not go away.

As a practical aside those cards serve the function of proof positive you are neither a felon nor adjudicated bonkers.  That can be useful in private dealings that have nothing to do with bearing arms.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 04:29:23 PM »
Of course not, silly. It is gathered up to be drunk at the NRA blood feasts every third Friday of the month in the back room of the Buckin' Bronk Beer Bar over on Country Bumpkin St.

I hope they are serving wings.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 05:17:44 PM »
Montana is still not going to be completely constitutional carry.

Are any of the states? I don't think you can carry an actual, real assault rifle in any state, w/o some hassle from Old Bill.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »