Author Topic: This is how you launch a new gun  (Read 1622 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
This is how you launch a new gun
« on: February 19, 2021, 08:32:15 PM »
The Walther PDP was unveiled this week with an awesome commercial.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPxgyLs874

They also have participating dealers with guns in stock and Walther reps to answer questions. https://waltherarms.com/2021/01/29/walther-world-premier-product-launch/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=The+New+Walther+PDP%21+It+s+available+now%21&utm_campaign=NEW+Walther+PDP+%28Performance+Duty+Pistol%29+Announced%21&vgo_ee=1WEmnvQEa9DJxlH9j%2FZrzPlMy%2BOWWuyaZunZiCXh6gI%3D

And the website is well designed.  https://waltherarms.com/pdp/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=The+New+Walther+PDP%21+It+s+available+now%21&utm_campaign=NEW+Walther+PDP+%28Performance+Duty+Pistol%29+Announced%21&vgo_ee=1WEmnvQEa9DJxlH9j%2FZrzPlMy%2BOWWuyaZunZiCXh6gI%3D

The email I received also had links to compatible holsters, which parts are interchangeable, and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee.  Color me impressed.

I am not in the market for a new pistol, but I am definitely going to look at at this one as soon as I can.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
Re: This is how you launch a new gun
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:58:35 PM »
That's the best marketing I've seen for a gun in.. ever?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:13:02 PM »
The Walther PDP was unveiled this week with an awesome commercial.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPxgyLs874

I noticed everyone holstering put their thumb over the slide's backplate.  "Striker Control Device" type thing, from the factory?

They also have participating dealers with guns in stock and Walther reps to answer questions.
And the website is well designed. 

The email I received also had links to compatible holsters,

The new holster search is the biggest annoyance, with a new gun.  Lately, last decade or so, some manufacturers have been good about making sure there's at least some support from the get go for new guns.

which parts are interchangeable, and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee.  Color me impressed.

I am not in the market for a new pistol, but I am definitely going to look at at this one as soon as I can.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:34:56 PM »
I saw my LGS giving the teaser of this announcement a few days ago. They are supposedly the only shop in this part of Idaho getting the new pistol in right now (they push Walther like crazy - every employee carries one). I just saw on their site that they did the premier today with a Walther rep and a bunch of the new pistols available to buy.

I've been wanting to sell my PPQ but instead maybe I'll be buying a PDP.  :laugh:

Edit, also just watched a video from my LGS. Today and tomorrow they are selling them for $599. Going to $630 for their normal pricing after that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:47:26 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:46:24 PM »
Kind of a shame that ammo is so scarce.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 12:31:11 AM »
The commercial is nice.  I have seen similar stuff from other manufacturers.  Also, a number of them have sent samples to multiple guntubers which all hit the internet about the same time.  One of the better efforts I can remember.  If there was a SHOT Show, I wonder if they would have had it there or at least teased it. 

I would like to handle one if I see it in a shop. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »
I would like to handle one if I see it in a shop.

I think I shot a pre-production model last year at The Modern Samurai's red-dot class.  I know it was a Walther and he said it was a new model, but I wasn't really paying attention to the details.  The gun I shot was pretty good, though.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:48:46 AM »
I’ll definitely have to take a look at the PDP.  I have 2 PPQ M2’s (.40 and 9mm Navy) and my wife has a CCP.  LGS offers LE and AD/Vet pricing on Walther so I’ll keep an eye out for one with that pricing.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Sounds like they did a good job on the roll-out. Except for not providing 500 rounds with each gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »
Reading up on it.  Can't tell if it's an addition to the Walther line or a replacement for the PPQ.  Love that there are so many parts from the P99 and PPQ, especially mags.  Been thinking about a PPQ if I can find one.  This gun may be better.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 06:18:33 PM »
Being as it's Walther, the real questions involve reliability and service/support.

Walther has a reputation of discontinuing service and parts for older models of their weapons, and back when I was shooting IDPA the then-new Walther P99s were problematic - reliability fell off sharply as they got a little dirty - and they soon fell out of favor with the early adopters.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »
Stopped at a couple LGS today and they’re saying 6-12 months before they expect to get any in. 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »
"Try the Walther"</Steven Crowder>
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 01:09:37 AM »
Looks like Buds has them in store in Lexington. Website shows out but if you click on Retail Store Availability it shows their Lexington store has them in.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »
Stopped at a couple LGS today and they’re saying 6-12 months before they expect to get any in.

Were they part of the launch?  I think the launch stores got the first shipments.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »
Being as it's Walther, the real questions involve reliability and service/support.

Walther has a reputation of discontinuing service and parts for older models of their weapons, and back when I was shooting IDPA the then-new Walther P99s were problematic - reliability fell off sharply as they got a little dirty - and they soon fell out of favor with the early adopters.

I had a P99.  Never had a problem with it.  Only reason I parted ways with it is that it was during the 10 round magazine limit years, and a friend who was desperate for a P99 was willing to even trade for a SIG P239 SAS I was listing after.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
Reading up on it.  Can't tell if it's an addition to the Walther line or a replacement for the PPQ.  Love that there are so many parts from the P99 and PPQ, especially mags.  Been thinking about a PPQ if I can find one.  This gun may be better.
In an video I listened to, this replaces most of the PPQ models.  They are only keeping a few of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPJxTUhF_I
Hank Strange posted an extended interview with one of the Walther guys.  I think that was where I heard it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 08:11:09 PM »
Is there anywhere on Walther's website to find the user manual?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »
Listening to some youtube stuff today.  I noticed I was seeing this pistol all over the place on gun channels.  Walther definitely put some effort into this. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
Listening to some youtube stuff today.  I noticed I was seeing this pistol all over the place on gun channels.  Walther definitely put some effort into this.

Not uncommon when a new pistol comes out.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Watched Colion North and a couple of others.  Interested in the slide serrations. Instead of grooves cut into the slide, they have machined ridges along the slide so the ridges actually stick out from the slide.  Sounds like a good grip for working the slide. Everyone is saying that it was an offshoot of the PPQ, using feedback to make improvements.  And, it's part of the new "modular" fad, with different size grips and slide/barrel lengths.  Should be worth a look.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »
Watched Colion North and a couple of others.

Is he related to former NRA president Oliver North?  :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »
Instead of grooves cut into the slide, they have machined ridges along the slide so the ridges actually stick out from the slide.  Sounds like a good grip for working the slide.

That's what I thought, though from what I've seen, the most negative comments about the pistol have been that the slide is "chunky". Though I haven't held them side by side, the PDP slide doesn't look any more chunky than the ones on my FNX pistols.

Here's an American Rifleman review:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/2/17/review-walther-arms-pdp/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0221
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
Is he related to former NRA president Oliver North?  :P

Yes.  And I hate auto correct on my phone.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)