Author Topic: Sig Sued for $10 Million  (Read 929 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Sig Sued for $10 Million
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:32:50 AM »
Just read the article.  Man, that lawyer must be a graduate of Ambulance Chaser University, given the way he talks about "highest trained operators" and such.  And the suit itself?  I don't know if the underlying claim is valid or not, but there is so much crap piled on (intentional infliction of emotional distress) anything valid is getting lost in the noise about everything else.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out, because this lawyer may ruin the suit trying to be a superstar.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
given the way he talks about "highest trained operators" and such.  And the suit itself?  I don't know if the underlying claim is valid or not, but there is so much crap piled on (intentional infliction of emotional distress) anything valid is getting lost in the noise about everything else. 

Yeah, I was kind of laughing about that. The snake eating super operator is beside himself with emotional distress over being shot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
It would upset me far more if I shot myself than if somebody else did. :P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
It would upset me far more if I shot myself than if somebody else did. :P

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
BTW, I wasn't digging at you in any way, WLJ. Just the lawsuit guy because they seemed to puff him up to action star.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »
BTW, I wasn't digging at you in any way, WLJ. Just the lawsuit guy because they seemed to puff him up to action star.

Fully aware of that and didn't take it that way, just though it was a funny response. Can only laugh about it since I have no one to blame but myself.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 12:44:51 PM »
On Sept. 21, 2020, Slatowski was conducting his required, quarterly firearms training in New Castle, Delaware, according to the lawsuit. While on the firing line, he was instructed to draw and fire two rounds at the target.

When Slatowski "placed his hand on the pistol grip to draw it out of his holster, the weapon fired," according to the lawsuit.

"Slatowski never touched the weapon's trigger," the suit alleges. "The bullet struck him in his upper right hip and exited out the back of his lower thigh, causing substantial injury, maceration of tissue, blood loss, and nerve damage."

Yeah....no. homeslice put his boogerhook on the trigger on the draw and cranked one off trying to be uber fast. The gun doesn't point at the upper hip until it's clear of the holster.

What we have here folks is called the Grebner Draw. A very advanced technique.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
Either my news feed is finding these stories, or somebody else is just getting in on the lawsuit fun. Another cop sues Sig:

https://www.inquirer.com/business/sig-sauer-guns-septa-ice-misfiring-suits-police-20210227.html

This one is even more "the gun did it" than the OP link. This guy is saying the gun went off in the holster while he had both hands on the steering wheel of his mall ninja cart. I was interested in the part where they said they found the bullet laying six feet in front of the mall cart (it apparently shot a hole through the cart). At the same time they claim the bullet "narrowly missed" a woman walking in front of the cart. Also, same as the first story, this guy is built up as a firearms expert.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »
Back to the fed:

“The bullet struck him in his upper right hip and exited out the back of his lower thigh, causing substantial injury, maceration of tissue, blood loss, and nerve damage,” according to a lawsuit filed Feb. 17 in federal court in Philadelphia. Connecticut attorney Jeff Bagnell and the Philadelphia law firm Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky are representing Slatowski in the $10 million claim against Sig.
So the guy lives and works in Pennsylvania, the incident occurred in Delaware, and he is represented by a Connecticut attorney?

Ah -- Attorney Bagnell seems to specialize in suing Sig Sauer. There's a reference to anoth lawsuit against Sig Sauer on the opening page iof his web site: https://www.bagnell-law.com/

Ah -- so this suit is the Virginia deputy.

The evidence will show, ladies and gentlemen, that Marcie, when the shot fired, did not even hear the shot or report of the gun. We submit and we will show that's because she never pulled the trigger. That's why she didn't hear it. It entered her right leg.

Okay. Her duty weapon "went off" inside a closed car and she didn't even hear it. Riiiiiiiight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »
Yeah....no. homeslice put his boogerhook on the trigger on the draw and cranked one off trying to be uber fast. The gun doesn't point at the upper hip until it's clear of the holster.

What we have here folks is called the Grebner Draw. A very advanced technique.
What kind of holster was he using?  I would like to know. 
I can see an IWB holster being in a position to do that, but with an OWB or retention holster, it would be difficult while the gun was still in the holster.  I am also curious if he had modified the trigger.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »
He had a long history handling weapons, having served as a primary marksmanship instructor in the Marines. That evening Jacklyn was on patrol with SEPTA’s counterterrorism unit.

Sitting behind the wheel of a motorized cart, Jacklyn and his patrol partner cruised the station concourse slowly, passing storefronts and pedestrians. He had a large iced tea in the cupholder.
The 2nd quote just does not fit with the first.   :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 07:36:14 PM »
So he thought a tire had blown out in the cart.  Does that happen so much that he knows what it sounds like?  He apparently didn't know what a gun shot from a pistol sounds like. 
Both officers checked their weapons to see if they had discharged, Jacklyn’s partner told an investigator. Jacklyn’s holster was warm to the touch.

They looked inside the vehicle. “Then we saw a hole through his ice tea, through the console and out the front of the cart,” Jacklyn’s partner explained, according to the investigative file. The bullet landed about six feet away.
I would have thought the ice tea would have exploded. 

I don't know what happened, but story just sounds ridiculous to the point I am inclined to disbelieve it.  If he truly didn't touch his gun, I want to know what kind of holster he carried and if something could have gotten caught in it when used the bathroom or something.

--- And it says they got rid of them and went to Glock pistols.  I am curious what the AD record is with Glocks. 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:50 PM »
Remember that case where a guy had an A/D with a Glock when holstering it?

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!