Author Topic: "Uncontained Engine Failure."  (Read 6415 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
"Uncontained Engine Failure."
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
That's the official description:

United Airlines Boeing 777 Suffers Uncontained Engine failure

https://airlinegeeks.com/2021/02/20/united-airlines-boeing-777-suffers-uncontained-engine-failure/

A United Airlines Boeing 777-200, registered N772UA, suffered an uncontained engine failure during its departure from Denver International Airport. Flight UA328 bound for Honolulu's Daniel K. Inouye International Airport was forced to return to Denver just a few minutes into the flight after the right-hand engine malfunctioned. The incident led to scattered debris falling throughout […]

There's humor in everything, I guess and I had to laugh at that. 

Damn' thing blowed up and scattered big-assed fragments all over Broomfield CO in residential areas.

Why, a person coulda been kilt in that there "uncontained engine failure."

=D

Ahhh, you fem isms.

(Landed safely with applause to the pilots at DIA.)

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_GE90

Edited to correct:  Later information is it was a Pratt and Whitney 4000 112 engine.

Judging from the armor around the fan, they were expecting a fan failure.  Fan diameter a little over 10ft.

PIC CREDIT:
By Dysanovic from Reading, United Kingdom - flickr.com/photos/dysanovic/2678713012, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52955829
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:28:51 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: "Uncontained Engine Failkure."
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »
At least most of it stayed on the wing. I recall years ago when a 737 lost the whole damn thing. In fact there were multiple occasions when the mounting bolts on the 737 gave up the ghost in flight.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:29:55 PM »
"bound for Honolulu"
Good thing, for the plane, crew, and passengers it didn't happen somewhere over the Pacific
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:36:48 PM »
"bound for Honolulu"
Good thing, for the plane, crew, and passengers it didn't happen somewhere over the Pacific

They had a spare.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »
They had a spare.

That DC-10 in Chicago had two spares. But they lost the whole pylon, can't always count on there not being damage to other systems.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:47:50 PM »
They had a spare.

In the event of the loss of one engine, the second engine will provide enough power to arrive at the scene of your crash.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:03:44 AM »
Yes I know a 777 can fly on one engine but I'm a firm believer in redundancy especially when it comes to the plane I'm flying in and the thought seeing one of the two engines fall apart over Pacific and then limping home on one is not one I like to think about. A few miles from the airport is bad enough.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:56:06 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 12:41:45 AM »
I watch Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel. All those years in a single engine plane. I'm glad we never had a problem.

My father was the GM of a radar company. My childhood summers were spent in the air. Winter vacations were in Arizona flying over the desert.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 12:59:05 AM »
SN9 had a spare   :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:20:34 AM »
I watch Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel. All those years in a single engine plane. I'm glad we never had a problem.

Many years ago I was dispatched to deliver a set of blueprints to an important client in Florida. Trip down was uneventful, delivery was made, client was happy with the plans. All good.

The client said his private plane was going to be flying back to my home state (also the client's home state) with no passengers, so he suggested that I cancel my commercial reservation and hitch a ride with his pilot. No problem! So, bright and early the next morning we took off in a fairly new twin -- Cessna, I think, but might have been a Piper. (It was a prop job -- no Lear Jet for me). Since there were no passengers, I got to sit in the right seat.

Take-off was uneventful but the pilot seemed to be looking at one part of the instrument panel quite often. We were still climbing out when the pilot SHUT DOWN THE RIGHT ENGINE* and called in a Mayday. Oops. Back we went. He made a picture perfect landing, we taxied back to where we had started, and I prepared to disembark. The pilot was just sitting there, so I asked if he was coming.

"Just as soon as my knees stop shaking," he said.

So, yes ... it's all well and good to have a spare, but even in a twin losing an engine isn't a cakewalk.

* The engine was losing oil pressure and the temperature was climbing rapidly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: "Uncontained Engine Failure."
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 03:53:53 AM »
I suspect we've about reached the size limit on big, fast, high-volume airworthy (i.e., lightweight) fans with our present strength of materials limits, although I know there are near-supersonic ground based wind tunnels.  I guess the hypersonic ones are based on high pressure release...?

I diddled around with how much pulling (forward) force there would be on the fan shaft at only a 1 psi suction in front of the 10 foot diameter of the blade disc with the engine not moving forward.  Neglecting the spinner and hub diameters, that's 79 square feet or 11,310 square inches, times 1 psi = 11,310 pounds of pull on that blade disc.

If my arithmetic is correct.

And that's assuming only a 1 psi suction.  We know it's more than that, or people and baggage carts wouldn't be sucked into them.

Hawkmoon said,

He made a picture perfect landing, we taxied back to where we had started, and I prepared to disembark. The pilot was just sitting there, so I asked if he was coming.

"Just as soon as my knees stop shaking," he said.

I'd'a had to wait till my pants dried out a little.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:13:08 AM by 230RN »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 06:59:05 AM »
My initial thought was it pitched a fan blade by the way the inlet ring broke off in 1 piece and landed on the ground.  That’s also what happened to the Southwest 737 engine when one of the fan blade pins fractured. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
Looks like a turbine failure, or maybe a later stage compressor failure.

Only the area around the fan gets extra armor to contain the pieces.  It is the largest and heaviest part.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
Looks like a turbine failure, or maybe a later stage compressor failure.

Only the area around the fan gets extra armor to contain the pieces.  It is the largest and heaviest part.

For some strange reason passengers tend to get a little upset when the passenger in the seat next to them has a fan blade go through their head. Just relax and order some drinks, they're usually on the house, or should be, after that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
In the event of the loss of one engine, the second engine will provide enough power to arrive at the scene of your crash.

"Probably beat the paramedics there by half an hour!"
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 09:36:59 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
That's enough to make you soil your pants...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
That's enough to make you soil your pants...

Well,.... close your eyes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »

That is oretty impressive, I mean the fire is where it belongs, mostly. I  (we) were off of SoCal in a training area in a P3 and the rear turbine oil pump crapped the bed and we ended up with a tailpipe fire. The fire suppression system on the P3 didn't cover the tailpipe so after shutting down the engine the oil that had pooled in the tailpipe continued to burn so there we are lumbering (we didn't streak) across the sky headed to Vandenberg AFB (15K ft runway) to land with a nice smoke trail behind us. The fire crew was very good there, they squirted out the fire, put some pins in our gear and then had us towed to the ramp.

That plane will probably be back in the air by mid-week, if they take their time to repair and allow the investigators to do their thing.

bob

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »
Cowling done are ewe in oh eff tea.  :O

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
Cowling done are ewe in oh eff tea.  :O

??? Huh? ??? Whut? ???
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 02:28:33 PM »
I talked to a Russian guy who'd flown on Aeroflot on a Soviet-built airliner several decades before. Their safety standards were not up to the rest of the world's. He was on a flight that lost first one, then a second engine . . . but rather than declare an emergency and set down at the nearest airport, they continued on to their destination. No big deal.  :O

He advised that on Aeroflot flights of the day, seating near the lavatories and/or the galley was inadvisable due to overflows when the aircraft banked.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
Fan looks a little funny windmilling there along with the shake caused by imbalance.  Anything behind the fan would get damaged as well.  Won’t know u til they tear it apart.

One of by favorite Safety classes I took while active duty Air Force was JEMIC (Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course) back in 2005.

During that class, one engine in particular was an F16 GE engine that was about half the length it was when serviceable.  We had to determine if the damage was pre-mishap or upon impact with the ground.