Author Topic: "Fighting" racism through grocery distribution.  (Read 1569 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Fighting" racism through grocery distribution.
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »
At a Schnuck Markets grocery store near my house, I saw employees wearing "Unity is Power" t-shirts, so I looked at Schnuck's website to see what it was all about.

https://nourish.schnucks.com/community/unity/

You tell me, but the language I've excerpted here does not tell me they want everyone to feel welcome, or want to make sure everyone has an equal chance to succeed. Schnuck Markets looks for all the world as if they want to privilege some races above others.

"We have implemented tools and processes to help our teammates talk about race by supporting diversity, equity and inclusion with an emphasis on enabling sensitive but substantive conversations among our teammates and with customers. We will continue to introduce training programs addressing the issue of inequities and unconscious biases."

"We are creating a workplace where our Black teammates, as well as teammates of Color and diverse backgrounds, feel they belong and can grow their careers because they feel valued, and can see a path forward in our company through intentional inclusion in new management development programs."

"We will continue to spend advertising and marketing dollars with companies who aim to provide news coverage and entertainment for primarily Black audiences and will aim for equitable representation in our creative materials."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: "Fighting" racism through grocery distribution.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
They don't want their stores looted or burned down, and they think appeasement will work (because it always works so well)
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:12:15 PM »
I noticed "equity" seems to have shoved "equality" off the table.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »
I noticed "equity" seems to have shoved "equality" off the table.

You've got that right.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:23:05 PM »
That's mighty white of them.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »
Are you sure it's "Schnuck,"  not SHMUCK? ? ? ?    [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 12:06:32 AM »
Never saw this chain, and if they're trying this hard to alienate a good portion of their employee and customer bases, I probably never will. They may end up being a shining example of the "Get woke and go broke" adage.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:36:17 AM »
It was a sequence of woke platitudes and advertiing manager's buzzwords intended to dissuade howling mobs from tearing down their establishment because of hypersensitivity to perfectly innocent incidents.

In the bad old days, it was called  "paying protection money" or "your weekly insurance policy premium."

I got another loose $10 that says you will soon see essentially the same or identical wording appearing other places.

(fistful, that's not a real bet.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:06:21 AM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
"We have implemented tools and processes to help our teammates talk about race by supporting diversity, equity and inclusion with an emphasis on enabling sensitive but substantive conversations among our teammates and with customers."

I like how they are trying to enable sensitive but substantive conversations among our teammates and with customers.  Like their customers are shopping for ways to become "woke" rather than milk and eggs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
"We have implemented tools and processes to help our teammates talk about race by supporting diversity, equity and inclusion with an emphasis on enabling sensitive but substantive conversations among our teammates and with customers.""

Wonder if it would be truly welcome for a customer to start a "sensitive but substantive conversation" with a cashier?

"We are creating a workplace where our Black teammates, as well as teammates of Color and diverse backgrounds, feel they belong and can grow their careers because they feel valued, and can see a path forward in our company through intentional inclusion in new management development programs."

"Intentional inclusion" sounds like what used to be called quotas.  I guess that's a word that has dropped down the woke memory hole.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:27:06 PM »

"Intentional inclusion" sounds like what used to be called quotas.  I guess that's a word that has dropped down the woke memory hole.

Winner, winner -- chicken dinner.

I just posted in another thread about how woke, PC terminology seems to be designed to obfuscate what they're actually talking about. "Quotas" are bad, because that would be discrimination, but who can possibly object to "intentional inclusion"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
Never saw this chain, and if they're trying this hard to alienate a good portion of their employee and customer bases, I probably never will. They may end up being a shining example of the "Get woke and go broke" adage.

I would imagine they're only pushing this nonsense in areas where they think it will be well-received. In more enlightened (rural) areas, no one is going to hear about it.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Where I work they have a half dozen or so optional CBL's available for viewing re: that PC crap.

I ain't watching until they make it mandatory.  Nap time.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:33 PM »

I just posted in another thread about how woke, PC terminology seems to be designed to obfuscate what they're actually talking about. "Quotas" are bad, because that would be discrimination, but who can possibly object to "intentional inclusion"?

Control the language, control the issue.

They've been doing this for decades and we still haven't figured out how to counter it.

Of course it's hard to do when the entire information stream has been taken over.

I think it was Mencken who said, with respect to "the press," never argue with somebody who buys ink by the gallon.*

Nowadays I guess it would be "controls bytes by the tera-pitas."

Terry, 230RN

The impact of that statement is what counts, not who said it or the variations.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:12:09 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »

Control the language, control the issue.

They've been doing this for decades and we still haven't figured out how to counter it.

It doesn't help that so few people appreciate that aspect of it. People on our side talk about it every once in a while, but there's very little follow-through. There has at least been a movement away from calling the occupiers "liberals," but we just changed it to the even more positive-sounding "progressives."

I suppose we can be hopeful that, with the Left getting more and more insistent on making everyone use their terminology ("undocumented," "ze," etc), more of our side will realize how important the terminology really is.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
It doesn't help that so few people appreciate that aspect of it. People on our side talk about it every once in a while, but there's very little follow-through. There has at least been a movement away from calling the occupiers "liberals," but we just changed it to the even more positive-sounding "progressives."

I suppose we can be hopeful that, with the Left getting more and more insistent on making everyone use their terminology ("undocumented," "ze," etc), more of our side will realize how important the terminology really is.

One would think so, but I've been calling it "semantics" for years, then "PR" for years, and damned few picked up on it.

Nobody reads my crap, crying in the wilderness, whatever.

I've also been tooting off about the Preamble, not to the Constitution itself, but to the Bill Of Rights, and nobody's picked up on that, either.  Everybody (including publishers and printers) quote the Bill itself, but damned few include the very important Preamble to it.

<snif>

Terry, 230RN

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 05:31:25 PM »
I would imagine they're only pushing this nonsense in areas where they think it will be well-received. In more enlightened (rural) areas, no one is going to hear about it.

They are wearing them at three of the four stores in my area.  They may be wearing them at that 4th store but I don't go to it so I don't know.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 06:38:10 PM »
If any employee at any store starts talking to me about racism and/or inclusion I'm walking out.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »
They are wearing them at three of the four stores in my area.  They may be wearing them at that 4th store but I don't go to it so I don't know.

Whereabouts?

I think I might scout a couple of stores, and look for more of the shirts. Fortunately, we have a similar chain (Dierbergs) that has no such shirts, and none of that nonsense on their website. There's one reasonably close to my home.