Author Topic: If you like the Oshkosh JTLV, they have a mail truck now  (Read 1419 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
If you like the Oshkosh JTLV, they have a mail truck now
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:57:24 AM »
https://www.thedrive.com/news/39417/this-is-the-united-states-postal-services-new-delivery-vehicle

With the size of that windshield, it is a good thing they are getting air conditioning.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: If you like the Oshkosh JTLV, they have a mail truck now
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
When you consider the height of a typical mail box and the need to wander into the cargo compartment in back, you're going to end up with a rather unsightly and comical vehicle.

UPS/FedEx rigs look different because they don't interface with mail boxes and are prohibited from doing so.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:38:38 AM »
Wouldn't mind having one of the ougtoing Grummans to set up as a service vehicle for the ranch. Would make a really handy light-duty welding rig.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:58:52 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »
It just looks like what it is, a slow moving (usually) delivery vehicle.  If the huge windshield turns out to be a problem I'll bet they'll retrofit a sunshade out the front.

As electric vehicle infrastructure improves, these NGDVs will be able to be retrofitted with the battery-electric powertrain later on.

Last month, President Joe Biden announced that replacing the 645,000-vehicle federal fleet with U.S.-made electric vehicles was one of his administration's priorities, as a way to reduce maintenance and fuel costs, reduce emissions and crucially, put Americans back to work amidst a major economic downturn.

Mmmm, follow the money?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
This is good news for my OSK stock.   :lol:
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
It just looks like what it is, a slow moving (usually) delivery vehicle.  If the huge windshield turns out to be a problem I'll bet they'll retrofit a sunshade out the front.

It will first require a $50 million study to determent the correct size and color of the sunshade. Afterwards each sunshade will cost $10,000 and it will take 20 years to ramp up the program with several cost over runs along the way. All the while they could have just gone to Walmart and a buy a bunch of $5 sunshades.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
I still miss the Mail Jeeps...

The one rural carrier who served a route outside of my town in the 1970s and early 1980s used his own Jeep, a WW II surplus one that he had bought after the War. It was left hand drive, which meant that every day he delivered the mail while his wife drove. :)

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
I still miss the Mail Jeeps...

The one rural carrier who served a route outside of my town in the 1970s and early 1980s used his own Jeep, a WW II surplus one that he had bought after the War. It was left hand drive, which meant that every day he delivered the mail while his wife drove. :)

Mostly see the Grumman vehicles here but still occasionally see the old Jeeps from time to time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
I see a lot of right hand drive current production Jeep Wranglers being driven by the rural carriers around here.
Never looked close enough to see if if they are factory righthand drive or have been retro-fitted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
I see a lot of right hand drive current production Jeep Wranglers being driven by the rural carriers around here.
Never looked close enough to see if if they are factory righthand drive or have been retro-fitted.

I see quite a few of those here, also older Cherokees. Them and right hand drive minivans seem to  be the most common.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
It will first require a $50 million study to determent the correct size and color of the sunshade. Afterwards each sunshade will cost $10,000 and it will take 20 years to ramp up the program with several cost over runs along the way. All the while they could have just gone to Walmart and a buy a bunch of $5 sunshades.

"follow the ducats"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Supposedly there's a fair number of rural carriers in Northern states who use right hand drive Subarus, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »
When I was a kid all the rural carriers around here drove AMC Eagles.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22:52 PM »

The three here in town are all factory units.  The carriers love them.  The two cherokees are retrofitted deals.  I did see one Ford Transit the other day.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:31 PM »
But I thought Donald Trump abolished the Post Office.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 05:36:51 AM »
In high school I had a Willys Mail Truck with an F-Head (1 valve in the block and the other in the head) 4 cylinder engine and a 2 speed automatic trans. It MIGHT hit 50 going down-hill with a strong tail-wind on a good day.  =D

(not my actual mail truck/van but one just like it)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 07:08:49 AM »
What is the point of that engine?  Was it cheaper to build, more reliable, lighter, or what?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
What is the point of that engine?  Was it cheaper to build, more reliable, lighter, or what?

My immediate question, too.  Seems to me it screws up the compression ratio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOE_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOE_engine#Advantages_and_disadvantageshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOE_engine#Advantages_and_disadvantages

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
If these things are "battery-powered", how do they generate heat in winter weather to keep the drivers from freezing?  ???
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 06:06:50 PM »
If these things are "battery-powered", how do they generate heat in winter weather to keep the drivers from freezing?  ???

Thermoelectric heat pumps (Peltier Devices) usually.  Or they can use resistive heating and electric AC compressors, like a Tesla.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
Thermoelectric heat pumps (Peltier Devices) usually.  Or they can use resistive heating and electric AC compressors, like a Tesla.

The new Teslas are switching to heat pumps.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 07:10:36 AM »
Years ago I got my parents one of the electronic ice/heat chests that used Peltier units. You could take it from cooling to heating by flipping the plug over. Blue side up, cooling, red side up, heating.

Mom wasn't paying attention one day when they were getting ready for their high school class reunion picnic. By the time they got there they had... hot potato salad.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 07:12:53 AM »

Compared to the disadvantages, not much of a point at all, from what I can tell.  Most people I know who have experience with them don't have a lot of positive things to say about them.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
Compared to the disadvantages, not much of a point at all, from what I can tell.  Most people I know who have experience with them don't have a lot of positive things to say about them.

Inefficient PITA sums it up nicely.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!