Author Topic: Proposed Navy Pledge  (Read 1358 times)

griz

• friend
Proposed Navy Pledge
« on: February 23, 2021, 12:37:43 PM »
 Task Force Navy One was formed in June to develop strategies to combat discrimination in the Navy.  This is the pledge they have proposed:

“I pledge to advocate for and acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy. I pledge to engage in ongoing self-reflection, education and knowledge sharing to better myself and my communities. I pledge to be an example in establishing healthy, inclusive, and team-oriented environments. I pledge to constructively share all experiences and information gained from activities above to inform the development of Navy-wide reforms.”

Would you take this pledge?  I would not.  I find it self contradictory and so full of trendy buzz word terms that it is meaningless.  Your thoughts?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Proposed Navy Pledge
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
Task Force Navy One was formed in June to develop strategies to combat discrimination in the Navy.  This is the pledge they have proposed:

“I pledge to advocate for and acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy. I pledge to engage in ongoing self-reflection, education and knowledge sharing to better myself and my communities. I pledge to be an example in establishing healthy, inclusive, and team-oriented environments. I pledge to constructively share all experiences and information gained from activities above to inform the development of Navy-wide reforms.”

Would you take this pledge?  I would not.  I find it self contradictory and so full of trendy buzz word terms that it is meaningless.  Your thoughts?

I would refuse. And I would force them to drum me out of the Navy for it. I cannot "advocate for " "all lived experiences and intersectional identities". Those are foolish and I would be lying if I stated it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 01:12:47 PM »
How about a pledge to be the best warfighter you can be?  Drop all the woke PC bullpucky.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
How about a pledge to be the best warfighter you can be?

That kind of gets lost in the shuffle doesn't it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
Way to pusinallimize our military, you America-hating Commies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
Sigh.  This is why we can't have nice things.

To answer the OP's question: No, I would not take that pledge.  Thankfully no one is asking me to.  No one is asking random sailors to take it either.

That's not a pledge they are asking sailors to take.  That's a stupid little feel good pledge they came up for their little 6 month Task Force.  Had the OP included the first paragragh that would have been obvious.

You can read their woke little report here: https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jan/26/2002570959/-1/-1/1/TASK%20FORCE%20ONE%20NAVY%20FINAL%20REPORT.PDF
and complain about their actual navy wide recommendations with context.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 02:17:45 PM »
I also read an article where the Navy is going to make all sailors reaffirm their oath for some reason.  Maybe the whole “domestic terrorism” concerns within the military drummed up by the left.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 06:36:03 PM »
Sigh.  This is why we can't have nice things.

To answer the OP's question: No, I would not take that pledge.  Thankfully no one is asking me to.  No one is asking random sailors to take it either.

That's not a pledge they are asking sailors to take.  That's a stupid little feel good pledge they came up for their little 6 month Task Force.  Had the OP included the first paragragh that would have been obvious.

You can read their woke little report here: https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jan/26/2002570959/-1/-1/1/TASK%20FORCE%20ONE%20NAVY%20FINAL%20REPORT.PDF
and complain about their actual navy wide recommendations with context.

Thanks for the link.  I saw the pledge in an article and following the links only provided more commentary about the pledge, which I now see was meant for the task force members.  But I will say the report doesn't make me feel any better.  I will not pick apart the entire thing.  I will quote the closing lines to illustrate my main problem with the way it's presented.

Finally, when it comes to inclusion and diversity we can choose to be either committed or involved. We choose
commitment.

I understand they are trying to say they are doing more than merely being involved, but to me it reads as if they want commitment at the expense of involvement.  Why not both.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

I could not take such a pledge in good faith.

"... all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy." Meaningless woke-speak

"I pledge to engage in ongoing self-reflection, education and knowledge sharing to better myself and my communities." So if I use some leave time to attend a tactical shooting class at Gunsite, does this mean my command is going to give me a forum to share what I learn with my shipmates?

Etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »

My thoughts?  This has to be a parody.  Right?  Please?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 01:43:27 AM »
I would refuse. PERIOD, FULL STOP.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »
I still never liked the sailors creed. Wasn't there when I joined. It covers ground covered in the oath. Then it goes places the oath doesn't and who cares. It became a say before ever meeting, board, promotion kind of thing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
That must have metastasized after I got out in '92.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 12:42:28 AM »
This is just one more piece of evidence that Biden's agenda for his first 100 days in office is to totally destroy the United States of America.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 04:04:39 AM »
This is just one more piece of evidence that Biden's agenda for his first 100 days in office is to totally destroy the United States of America.

Sneaky of Biden to get this started last June, so it would be ready for his first 100 days.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 08:02:05 AM »
Sneaky of Biden to get this started last June, so it would be ready for his first 100 days.

[tinfoil] The "fix" was in even then.  [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 07:20:47 PM »
I’m so glad my son didn’t go into the Navy now.
Everyone who advised me to tell him to not enlist until after the election were spot on.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
That must have been a result of the something like a month long "stand down to combat extremism" that the Navy had been pushed to do. There has been quite a few leftist things like this designed to weaken the military, and specifically the Navy, being pushed recently. I've been meaning to write up a letter to send to my Representative with my concerns on this topic from things I've seen being pushed.

From the changing of our uniform to green like we are in the Army, to PT standards, to the attempt at getting rid of our rates, to letting everyone get gold chevrons after 12 years despite their record, to pushing to have ships renamed, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfYLRDzxiY
These new standards are also the new Navy PT standards.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

Total tangent, but I love that Crowder is packing a gat while doing his video.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 11:24:01 AM »
That must have been a result of the something like a month long "stand down to combat extremism" that the Navy had been pushed to do. There has been quite a few leftist things like this designed to weaken the military, and specifically the Navy, being pushed recently. I've been meaning to write up a letter to send to my Representative with my concerns on this topic from things I've seen being pushed.

From the changing of our uniform to green like we are in the Army, to PT standards, to the attempt at getting rid of our rates, to letting everyone get gold chevrons after 12 years despite their record, to pushing to have ships renamed, etc.

You're getting old. You were quite the wild and crazy guy in your early days on this board.  =D I made it through three uniforms in my 22 years. I am also vastly offended by the gold thing, I like my 5 gold hashmarks. More importantly, when you got a Senior Chief with 6 or so red hashmarks you knew you had a real guy.

The basics of this is that the senior military leadership views the military as a social experiment lab. We have lost millions of manhours learning not to rape, not to drink, the preferred pronouns of our shipmates(PS, hey f@#khead is gender neutral) etc. The people who died in at sea collisions probably had all their quals up to date in the computer. Hundreds of quals. Some even related to their jobs. Meanwhile the CPO mess is busy designing a new sticker for their cars or figuring out a new way to crap on FCPOs. Nothing changes until we are back in a war with 20% casualties or better. Level of BS always goes way down the closer to the kinetic energy you are.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.