Author Topic: News flash: bicycle helmet laws are racist  (Read 1967 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
News flash: bicycle helmet laws are racist
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/racial-disparities-prompt-calls-to-repeal-king-countys-bicycle-helmet-law/

“Folks aren’t riding around without helmets because it’s fun. They’re doing it because helmets aren’t cheap,” said Lindo, who wears a helmet when he rides and started the biking group NorthStar Cycling Club to support riders who are Black, Indigenous and people of color. “Buy them a helmet and you won’t have to penalize them.”

The biking organizations Cascade Bicycle Club and Washington Bikes encourage riders to wear helmets but oppose the mandatory laws. The street newspaper Real Change also opposes the requirement. Other cities, including Tacoma, have already repealed mandatory helmet laws.

I basically agree with the Cascade Bicycle Club: helmets are a good idea but the .gov should not make them mandatory.

As far as the bolded quote above: as I suspected, the "racism" canard is just an angle they're working to get taxpayer-funded helmets.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: News flash: bicycle helmet laws are racist
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »
^^^Maybe not so much on the racism issue being a canard.  Lots of data and recent media showing that Seattle Police write citations for this way more on people of color and the homeless downtown and the poorer areas of the city.  Not so much in the more affluent (white) areas of the city.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »
Are they going to find that gun control laws are racist anytime soon?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »
^^^Maybe not so much on the racism issue being a canard.  Lots of data and recent media showing that Seattle Police write citations for this way more on people of color and the homeless downtown and the poorer areas of the city.  Not so much in the more affluent (white) areas of the city.

Perhaps rates of non-compliance are lower in the more affluent areas.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »

Or, given that it's Seattle, rates are higher in the more effluent areas.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »

That's probably part of it, but the police and courts like to prey on poor people because they can't fight the tickets.  It's all about easy revenue. 

Why are poor people (but have enough money to be worth exploiting) concentrated in black and brown communities?  That might be worth investigating.  The police taking advantage of the situation is not.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:23:28 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/racial-disparities-prompt-calls-to-repeal-king-countys-bicycle-helmet-law/

I basically agree with the Cascade Bicycle Club: helmets are a good idea but the .gov should not make them mandatory.

As far as the bolded quote above: as I suspected, the "racism" canard is just an angle they're working to get taxpayer-funded helmets.

helmets aren't cheap, no.  But bicycles aren't either.  Unless you steal them. 

(And, yes, helmets are a good idea.  I lost teeth, and (I think), some verbal ability, from a bike accident 40+ years ago.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 10:37:04 AM »

[Woke Yoda]Mmmmm, people of color they are. Dark skin they have, yes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
I wear a motorcycle helmet all the time on my motos.  Full face coverage.

But bike helmets, IMO, are utter bullshit.

They don't protect anything but the top of your head.  Lateral impact protection is minimal to nonexistent.  They don't have enough traction/retention against the top of the head to avoid slipping in a lateral impact so the side of the head impacts the obstacle.

More importantly, it was the bicycle helmet lobby that pushed for the mandatory helmet laws back in the 90's.

If you're doing BMX stunts or downhill mountain biking or the like, a full face motocross style helmet is a great idea even on a pedal powered bike.  But typical urban/suburban bike usage doesn't call for the mushrooms in vogue today and they don't do squat anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
Government provided bicycle helmets are a Human Right!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=bicycle+helmets

Here are 1499 citations in the medical literature about bicycle helmets.  This former paramedic wears a helmet every time I throw a leg over my bicycles and motorcycles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
Can I get a list of what isn't racist?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »

Yes.

There you go.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »
The argument that bicycle helmets are too expensive is a canard in itself. I just pulled up the Walmart web site and searched for bicycle helmets. I found adult helmets for $14.99 and youth helmets for as low as $12.99 without scrolling down more than one row. Scrolling a bit lower got me down to $10.99.

Skip a couple of bags of Doritos for one week and there's your bike helmet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 01:14:26 PM »

As we now understand, it is simply impossible for colored people to be racist. Because. Just because.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »

Anything and everything a non-white person says or does.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »
^  Yep,  The Fix is in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »
helmets aren't cheap, no.  But bicycles aren't either.  Unless you steal them. 

(And, yes, helmets are a good idea.  I lost teeth, and (I think), some verbal ability, from a bike accident 40+ years ago.)
I figure there are still cheap bikes that are cheap.  I doubt the police care whether you are riding a fancy carbon fiber bike or a Huffy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:39 PM »
It has been a while, but I heard a lot of PD's in Texas use Truancy laws in a similar way.  Write citations to raise money.  Poorer people can't fight the citation and their kids are more likely to not be in school.  What I heard was Texas as a whole amounted to a very large portion of Truancy violations written up nationwide.  Not sure if that is still true. 

KnifeRights.org has used the same arguments to get illegal knife laws removed.  Most of the arrests for minorities and used as an excuse to make the arrest and search them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »

Could be that the police have more officers patrolling higher crime areas (which makes sense) which means they would observe more violations in those areas, resulting in more citations.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »
And so those police take time from their busy, higher crime patrols to write bicycle helmet tickets?  Can't be that much crime if they have time for such critical law enforcement.

Racist or not, anything that helps bad laws get taken down I won't be too against. And as WLJ alluded to, the more we solidify the jurisprudence that anything that makes something more expensive is racist before the coming gun control push, the better.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
Racist or not, anything that helps bad laws get taken down I won't be too against. And as WLJ alluded to, the more we solidify the jurisprudence that anything that makes something more expensive is racist before the coming gun control push, the better.
Or, more likely, the bad laws will stay on the books and the responsibility of paying for helmets (at least if you are in a protected class) will be borne by the government.

griz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »
Will the federal .gov buy me a nice motorcycle helmet?  It's required in this state, and they're pretty pricey.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »
And so those police take time from their busy, higher crime patrols to write bicycle helmet tickets?  Can't be that much crime if they have time for such critical law enforcement.

Sure it's a stupid nanny-state law, but I'd rather see it fall due to reason rather than feeding the monster "everything is racist" crowd.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 11:40:07 PM »
As we now understand, it is simply impossible for colored people to be racist. Because. Just because.
It is racist to refer to some people as colored.

Read the NAACP style guidelines.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain