Main Forums > The Roundtable

Ditching Microsoft/Apple for privacy?

(1/4) > >>

Perd Hapley:
I got a cast-off, but still fairly recent computer last week, and I plan to use it in my garage, and put Linux Mint on it. I’ve dabbled with Linux before, but never stuck with it. It got me to thinking about whether I should ditch Windows, just from a privacy perspective, given the political/social climate these days. Or should I just start using a VPN, and not worry about the OS?

I also notice there are a number of privacy/security focused distros out there, some come with their own VPN software. Cool to know.

Nightfall:

--- Quote from: Perd Hapley on February 26, 2021, 05:05:48 PM ---I got a cast-off, but still fairly recent computer last week, and I plan to use it in my garage, and put Linux Mint on it. I’ve dabbled with Linux before, but never stuck with it. It got me to thinking about whether I should ditch Windows, just from a privacy perspective, given the political/social climate these days. Or should I just start using a VPN, and not worry about the OS?

I also notice there are a number of privacy/security focused distros out there, some come with their own VPN software. Cool to know.

--- End quote ---

I'd vote do both, although I'd prioritize the VPN. My wife and I are currently using Mozilla VPN, which is really easy to use and only costs $5 a month for 5 devices (two computers, a tablet, and two phones in our case). I'm considering Proton VPN, as the change would allow us to have a VPN operating at the router level, as well as individual devices. I believe Proton has a free option if you'd just like to give it a try. I already use the Proton e-mail service, trying to eject out of Gmail and the Google system eventually.

Perd Hapley:

--- Quote from: Nightfall on February 26, 2021, 07:52:13 PM ---...trying to eject out of Gmail and the Google system eventually.

--- End quote ---

I thought what this guy had to say was interesting:

https://youtu.be/mqSCmT5S-2w

zahc:
In my personal life, I've been Windows free since 2006. I run whatever Linux flavor of the decade. But I keep threatening to go to freeBSD since the Linux people are idiots.

p12:
I have started tinkering with Fedora Workstation lately. So far I’m liking it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version