Author Topic: HVAC - set to heat & cool w/o changing setting?  (Read 863 times)

Cliffh

• friend
HVAC - set to heat & cool w/o changing setting?
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:06:19 PM »
Is it possible to set a central HVAC unit to heat and cool as required to keep the temp consistent w/o having to change the thermostat setting from heat to cool (or vice versa)?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: HVAC - set to heat & cool w/o changing setting?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:44 PM »
Is it possible to set a central HVAC unit to heat and cool as required to keep the temp consistent w/o having to change the thermostat setting from heat to cool (or vice versa)?

I bet it depends on the unit.  My mini-split system does that, but I've never used that setting.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »
That is how mine works. I have a Honeywell smart thermostat. It's set for various day/night temps, but basically, if it gets below a certain temp, it heats, if above another temp, it cools. For instance, my daytime settings are 69 and 74. Below 69 it knows to turn the heat on, and above 74 it knows to turn the cooling on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 06:33:48 PM »
So it might be as simple as swapping out the thermostat?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »

That's how my parents' heat pump is set up -- I hate it, but it's none of my business.  It's a Honeywell VisionPRO thermostat with "RedLINK", whatever that is.  (it's some kind of wireless thing, but I saw a lot of wires when the HVAC guy installed it.)  It can also be setup for heat only or cool only.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
So it might be as simple as swapping out the thermostat?

IDK. It might also depend on your HVAC unit. I have a heat pump for heating/cooling plus a furnace that overrides the heat pump and kicks in (again, via the smart thermostat) when outside temp is under 26deg.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 07:11:39 PM »
That's how my parents' heat pump is set up -- I hate it, but it's none of my business.  It's a Honeywell VisionPRO thermostat with "RedLINK", whatever that is.  (it's some kind of wireless thing, but I saw a lot of wires when the HVAC guy installed it.)  It can also be setup for heat only or cool only.

What don't you like about it?

I took a look at that t-stat on Honeywell's site, it got 10 one star ratings out of a total of 15 reviews.  They also only sell it to their "Professional Partners".  Don't think I'll be using it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 07:17:21 PM »

I took a look at that t-stat on Honeywell's site, it got 10 one star ratings out of a total of 15 reviews.  They also only sell it to their "Professional Partners".  Don't think I'll be using it.

I don't like if it's cool in the morning but going to be hot just a little later, the heat comes on.  Part of the problem (it's my problem, not theirs) is they keep the house very warm with a narrow band.  I think it's set for 75-78 degrees.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
This is a function of the thermostat, not anything else.

When I bought my house I upgraded the thermostat to do this. I bought the dumbest, cheapest thermostat that had "auto switchover" capability.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
Like Ben and zahc implied, should be a simple stat swap. All the air handler knows is "call for heat" or "call for cool". The stat handles the thinking. Get one that has Auto Changeover function and you should be good.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Thermostats-Programmable-Thermostats/Auto-Changeover/N-5yc1vZc4kcZ1z18upl?storeSelection=

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
Thanks all.

I'll be looking into a new thermostat.  Brad's link ought to keep me busy for a while.  =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 08:31:13 PM »

I have their Vision Pro 8000, installed by the HVAC crew when I got the new HVAC installed. I have to say I've been very happy with it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
A Nest will, which is what we have. We also have it set to heat the house five minutes before we wake up in the morning.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 12:38:11 AM »
I have an Ecobee smart thermostat that i can set in a range and it will heat or cool as required. It is controlled on the unit, througb an app or Alexa. I took them from my son's house when I sold it. I like it.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »
This house had one of those "smart" thermostats when we bought it 9 years ago.  I swapped it out for 1960's tech.  Set the temp I want. Set the fan on auto.  Flip the switch to heat or cool.  If heat or cool or fan is not needed, turn it off.  Simple.  Less complications and crap to break.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
I've got a Carrier heat pump system - it came with a touch-screen thermostat that lets the user independently set "cool to" and "heat to" temperatures, but the settings have to be a minimum of 2 degrees apart. Works pretty well, no issues so far.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 11:04:52 PM »
This house had one of those "smart" thermostats when we bought it 9 years ago.  I swapped it out for 1960's tech.  Set the temp I want. Set the fan on auto.  Flip the switch to heat or cool.  If heat or cool or fan is not needed, turn it off.  Simple.  Less complications and crap to break.

Not quite so simple but this house, built in 1961, had one of the old, round thermostats when I bought it.  Three years later, the A/C had to be replaced so I took the opportunity to put a 5 + 2 programmable thermostat in to replace it.  It has saved me a fair amount of money on heating but not cooling due to the way I programmed it.
All 7 days are now the same program and for heat, 7-10 a.m. is set for 68 degrees while from 10-4 p.m., I let the heat drop to 65.  From 4-10 p.m., it goes back to 68 but from 10 p.m.-7 a.m.,  I let it drop to 62.
With the A/C, there isn't that much of a difference in temperatures.  Using those same time slots, the low (on) temp is 68 and the high (off) is 72 (I HATE heat and humidity !!)
And, no matter the time of the year, at night, there is a 52" ceiling fan in the bedroom that runs every night with it on HI in the summer and LO in the winter, just to keep the air moving.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »
Now that I have my pellet stove my heat pump just sits in the back yard during winter, waiting for the temperature in the house to drop to 60 degrees so that it will have a purpose.

Summer? That's when it gets a work out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.