Author Topic: Height privilege  (Read 2397 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Height privilege
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »
Just stop already!
I can't tell what's satire and what's not anymore

At a recent feminist conference, women were finally given equality, and height privilege removed by use of platform shoes, which we are currently lobbying to have made mandatory on college campus.
Height privilege, yes straight white males, it’s a thing!
https://planetb-media.com/2021/02/26/height-privilege-yes-straight-white-males-its-a-thing/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: Height privilege
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
Inspired by Harrison Bergeron, no doubt.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
When did "created with equal opportunity" get lopped off to just "created equal?"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »
Inspired by Harrison Bergeron, no doubt.

My first thought too. We are well on our way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:23:43 PM »
When did "created with equal opportunity" get lopped off to just "created equal?"

I believe that is "created equal in the eyes of God."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
That's how hard it is to be a woman. You have to look like an idiot to be taken seriously.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »
I usually find high-heeled footwear for women to be sexy.

Usually.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 06:39:57 PM »

They've been working on it for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 08:40:57 PM »
I assume in the interest of fairness they'll be calling out college and WNBA women basketball players for their altitudinal privilege.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 10:23:57 PM »
At a recent feminist conference, women were finally given equality, and height privilege removed by use of platform shoes, which we are currently lobbying to have made mandatory on college campus.

I'm waiting for these people to notice the passive tense actor in this type of writing.

"were given."

Who gave it to them?  Why did they need this thing to be given to them?  Equality (EQUALITY!) was achieved by the grace of an external actor rather than the assertion of the individual and her own merits?  How did this actor have equality (EQUALITY!) just sitting around in his pockets, waiting to hand it out?  If the goal is truly equity of outcome, why haven't they mobbed this external actor and taken all the equality (EQUALITY!) from him?

In this particular case involving people walking around on overbuilt solo cups, did no one measure the loss of dignity, the giggling, the laughing, the destruction of ambient peace from the echo of the CLOMP! CLOMP! as people strode around with Home Depot buckets strapped to their shoes?  What impact did that have on this manifested and bestowed equality (EQUALITY!)?

Did anyone trip and hurt themselves due to unfamiliarity with these ad-hoc stilts?  Were the people of target altitude maimed to adjust for equity in outcome?

What would happen if a particularly tall person entered the room, at 6'9" or so?  Does everyone go get new stilts?

What would happen if Kenny Baker, Warwick Davis and Peter Dinklage entered?  Are they issued 3 foot tall stilts?  How do they don them?  What if they need to use the bathroom (#1 or #2, each presents...difficulties!)?

This world needs a whole lot more philosophy and epistemology, and a whole lot less psychology and political science.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 12:00:40 AM »
A story that should be fake, but given the tenor of the times we must assume it's true. It perfectly represents identity politics. Group X needs "help," or they'll never be able to compete with the cis-lords. The "help," of course, hobbles them. In this case literally.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 08:43:09 AM »
At least they're not choosing the solution described  by Rush (the band).

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
"The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light"
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
What about length privilege?
On second thought lets not go there.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 12:40:17 PM »
What's amusing about this if this were to become a daily thing in the real world outside academia it would make women even more vulnerable to attack as their higher center of gravity would make it easier to topple them over. And the additional height of the fall would cause even more trauma making it even worse on the woman.

They would also be hampered in running away making them easier to catch.

I imagine getting into a vehicle in a hurry would be problematic as well.

Fortunately, this idea will stay contained in the common senseless zones we call universities. So the rest of us will be spared having to deal with this idiocy.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
I'd like to see how the author of the link in the OP deals with tall women and short men . . . those stilts might make things a bit less graceful on the dance floor.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
What's amusing about this if this were to become a daily thing in the real world outside academia it would make women even more vulnerable to attack as their higher center of gravity would make it easier to topple them over. And the additional height of the fall would cause even more trauma making it even worse on the woman.

They would also be hampered in running away making them easier to catch.

I imagine getting into a vehicle in a hurry would be problematic as well.

Fortunately, this idea will stay contained in the common senseless zones we call universities. So the rest of us will be spared having to deal with this idiocy.

We can only hope.  But given how craziness seems to be expanding exponentially, I'm not so sure this is true.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
What Warren said, plus I doubt they're the most comfortable footwear. Then again, chicks are funny about that...

https://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/steve_martin/cruel_shoes.html

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 07:16:36 PM »
Not sure if this has been explicitly stated in this thread yet, but this nonsense on stilts only (allegedly) makes sense if women are inherently lesser than men. If being shorter makes you less than, then women are inferior, and should be treated as such.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »
Randy Newman had musical commentary on this several decades ago . . . even mentioning platform shoes.   :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3W4ZOlA08g&ab_channel=Vid3oGam3BoY83

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 10:22:25 AM »
Not sure if this has been explicitly stated in this thread yet, but this nonsense on stilts only (allegedly) makes sense if women are inherently lesser than men. If being shorter makes you less than, then women are inferior, and should be treated as such.
The commentary leaves out the many short men that are around.  I guess they are not worth mentioning.   

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »
If I were there I'd straight up put on the tallest set they have. I'm 5' 9", and I've always wanted to be taller. Because, you know, it would make my already awesome privilege even more awesome.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 11:33:44 AM »
If I were there I'd straight up put on the tallest set they have. I'm 5' 9", and I've always wanted to be taller. Because, you know, it would make my already awesome privilege even more awesome.
I was thinking it would be fun to spill some acetone on the floor.  Looks like they are made from Styrofoam.  I guess the fumes would be pretty strong.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »
I feel like at this point, someone needs to explicitly state that that FB page is satire.  This is not a real story.

The images were taken form a 1990's German art...thing titled "Personal Absurdities".

https://ingesidee.de/artists/hans-hemmert/hans-hemmert-personal-absurdities-1997/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »
I feel like at this point, someone needs to explicitly state that that FB page is satire.  This is not a real story.

The images were taken form a 1990's German art...thing titled "Personal Absurdities".

https://ingesidee.de/artists/hans-hemmert/hans-hemmert-personal-absurdities-1997/

Why I said "I can't tell what's satire and what's not anymore"
I had my doubts but I've been fooled both ways nowadays
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
Randy Newman had musical commentary on this several decades ago . . . even mentioning platform shoes.   :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3W4ZOlA08g&ab_channel=Vid3oGam3BoY83

One of my favorite songs by him!!

bob